Geocaching Website/App's Messaging Center - Delete Messages??

Cachin' Kara

I have two EarthCaches and I'm receiving the answers to my questions through the messaging Center. It is now clogged with hundreds of such messages.

Neither the person who sent the answers nor I will continue to exchange any further messages at all after acknowledging the answers.

Why didn't  the designers of the messaging center keep that in mind while developing the app?

Is there a way to flush all messages, if there is no way to delete individual messages? Hiding is not an acceptable solution.

I suggest to include this feature in further updates, because I assume that the current behaviour might also be a violation of European Data Protection Laws.

Isebar

15 minutes ago, Isebar said:

Neither the person who sent the answers nor I will continue to exchange any further messages at all after acknowledging the answers.

If your device is not capable of sorting out so many messages you can use email instead. I prefer to use email on my mobile phone and message center app when I am using my Windows computer. Maybe you didn't know that you can use your email for processing all messages from the message center?

20 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Maybe you didn't know that you can use your email for processing all messages from the message center?

Thank you for your fast response, but I am aware of this option.

Processing messages from the message center by email does not remove the messages from the message center. Therefore it does not solve the (my) problem of an overflooded message center with single one-time messages of people who wrote for the sole purpose of answering the questions of an EarthCache, in order to log the EarthCache.

40 minutes ago, Isebar said:

Thank you for your fast response, but I am aware of this option.

What prevents you to solve the problem by using this method?

40 minutes ago, Isebar said:

Processing messages from the message center by email does not remove the messages from the message center.

You have misunderstood how the message center platform limits the number of messages visible. There is plenty of messages visible but most of them are not visible until you try to see them by scrolling up the message thread. The same happens with players. Only some recent players are visible until you try to load more by scrolling down the list.

If yor device is uncapable of handling this relatively small number of messages, you should try to use the message center with some other device with better capabilities to see if there is any difference. I do not believe that the total number of messages have nothing to do with your problem because I have thousands of messages in the message center.

There really needs a way to delete messages .   I have completely quite using this function because there are just too many messages to look   I check my messages once every two or three month and if I see a new one I send back to that person if they want to contact me not to  send an email not a message.     I have messages from catchers  I don't know and in a different part of the country or world that I will never need to contact.  It is like having every email in you inbox from day one.  I feel it was a bad decision not to provide a way to delete unwanted messages or  even  to develop a email redundant  application like this.  There are so many other areas that the developers could address their time to that would be effective.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, jcklm said:

It is like having every email in you inbox from day one

I have emails in my inbox from day one and all message center messages from day one. There is over 3000 messages form MC per year and over 8000 e-mails from watchlists etc. per year. It is more than 10000 emails per year and I have no need to delete any of them. I am sure that Groudspeak will delete some messages when the storage capasity is running out.

8 hours ago, jcklm said:

There really needs a way to delete messages .   I have completely quite using this function because there are just too many messages to look   I check my messages once every two or three month and if I see a new one I send back to that person if they want to contact me not to  send an email not a message.     I have messages from catchers  I don't know and in a different part of the country or world that I will never need to contact.  It is like having every email in you inbox from day one.  I feel it was a bad decision not to provide a way to delete unwanted messages or  even  to develop a email redundant  application like this.  There are so many other areas that the developers could address their time to that would be effective.

Too many messages? Why delete them? It's no weight to be carried around so should not be any burden. The computer can handle it so there's no threat to storage. Why are all these people sending you messages? I own over 70+ caches and would be lucky to get one message a week. I really don't see why some people are so antsy about the message centre. It's there and it has a purpose. I don't care whether I get an email or a message. I get emails letting me know I have a message, a function which I like, as I may not religiously check for messages. Chill.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, colleda said:

Too many messages? Why delete them?

Imagine never deleting an email and the only ' buckets' you can place them into are by 'person'.  What a mess if you want to go back and reference one later.  There are a few people that allow their inboxes to get into that state, but not many who actually care about finding one later.

For those who have a lot of Earthcache messages in particular, I wouldn't want to deal with it, either.  It should be possible to clear out any messages that one is assured won't have any future interest.

• Helpful 1
16 hours ago, colleda said:

Too many messages? Why delete them? It's no weight to be carried around so should not be any burden. The computer can handle it so there's no threat to storage. Why are all these people sending you messages? I own over 70+ caches and would be lucky to get one message a week. I really don't see why some people are so antsy about the message centre. It's there and it has a purpose. I don't care whether I get an email or a message. I get emails letting me know I have a message, a function which I like, as I may not religiously check for messages. Chill.

+1

First everyone decide which is most suitable... Threads about not being able to delete messages, or Threads about I Deleted Them And Now I Want Them Back. B)

I have a long list of cachers with messages.  Sometimes I scroll to find a person, but often start with a Profile instead.  When someone writes, there's still no issue because their section opens with the message in view.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, kunarion said:

+1

First everyone decide which is most suitable... Threads about not being able to delete messages, or Threads about I Deleted Them And Now I Want Them Back. B)

I have a long list of cachers with messages.  Sometimes I scroll to find a person, but often start with a Profile instead.  When someone writes, there's still no issue because their section opens with the message in view.

Likewise, I’ve no issue with not being able to delete messages.  A bit of search functionality would be useful though.  (I often reply to requests for help on my puzzles; it would be nice to be able to search for earlier replies to similar queries - save me from reinventing the wheel.)

I actually find the full record of previous conversations pretty useful.  When a message comes in from an unfamiliar name, I can immediately see whether I’ve corresponded with them in the past, making it easier to gauge how much help I should give.

Similarly, it’s not until I’ve got round to sending answers to an EC or Virtual that I realise I’ve done other caches by the same CO - sometimes in completely different areas.  It’s nice to have that continuity.

So, no issue with delete functionality being added, but I wouldn’t use it.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I think the problem (yes, there is one, although many don't think so) is one of general usability.

Some say, "Who cares if you have many messages in many cacher threads? What's it costing you?"

That may be legitimate, as long as you handle messages and respond to them, and then you're done.

But, to fully use this resource, I'd want to be able to deal with OLD messages. Without a 'search' function, how do I go back and find that message where I discussed brands of camo tape or some such thing with SOME cacher, SOMETIME last year?

Without the ability to manipulate messages, then I throw that question I quoted up above back in the faces of the "Who cares?" people: Why do I need to have all that data synching with my phone? Why do I need that useless backlog of messages if I can't use it?"

If anything, I'd want to see the MC expanded! I'd love to see an indication on a cache page (and even in a log entry!) that I've swapped messages with the CO (or cacher)!

• Upvote 1