Newbie "How To" Question

Maxtrack

Greetings,

I am visiting PA (USA) from Canada.  I would like to leave something in a cache (in PA) which I would like to be able to track the progress of toward Canada.  Ideally, I would find a way to attach a message to the item which says: "Please help this token get back to "destination address or cache name". 
It this idea already a thing?  One idea I have to to make the item a physical key which will open a special locked cache at another location.

Looking forward to reading replies from long term Geo Cache Gurus.

Thank you,
~ Maxtrack 

4 hours ago, Maxtrack said:

I am visiting PA (USA) from Canada.  I would like to leave something in a cache (in PA) which I would like to be able to track the progress of toward Canada.  Ideally, I would find a way to attach a message to the item which says: "Please help this token get back to "destination address or cache name". 
It this idea already a thing?  One idea I have to to make the item a physical key which will open a special locked cache at another location.

You have "View Map" on every trackable page (it's next to trackable history just above the last log).  

- You should be able to keep track from there as well as any wordy logs.  :)

We feel trackables that have the goal/mission attached (even just a laminated message in a decent baggie with the trackable) stand better chances of the goals met.

You can request whatever you'd like as a goal/mission, but realize that as soon as it leaves your hands you no longer have control of it's whereabouts.

We've heard of goals met, but haven't seen any personally.

43 minutes ago, Maxtrack said:

What would make following the request attached to an item, found within a cache, enticing and attractive enough to encourage you to assist?

15 minutes ago, Maxtrack said:

I forgot to ask, is there a mechanism to track an item which was not purchased via geochaching.com? Has anyone created an independent companion tracking application? (if not, maybe I should create one)

Everything you want to know about trackables on this site.

There really is no real way to "entice" another to your bidding.  :)

All of the "other" tracking options never really took off, since most were in addition to this one (attachments mostly).

The closest thing currently even sort of uses this site for it's spiel (saying they're not the same as Geocoins or Travel Bugs), and most folks swap them as swag rather than go to their site to "track" them.  I put them in tiny caches.

13 minutes ago, Maxtrack said:

Interesting as my google searches, up until now, I have not seen any results which reveal an independent item tracking application exists.

There was one that used to be a popular one,  tracking currency serial numbers and the zip code you find them in.

It seems that this hobby made the idea of "Trackables"  moving/visiting caches workable, and few are interested otherwise. 

7 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Everything you want to know about trackables on this site.

There really is no real way to "entice" another to your bidding.  :)

All of the "other" tracking options never really took off, since most were in addition to this one (attachments mostly).

The closest thing currently even sort of uses this site for it's spiel (saying they're not the same as Geocoins or Travel Bugs), and most folks swap them as swag rather than go to their site to "track" them.  I put them in tiny caches.

Thank you for the link and info.

51 minutes ago, Maxtrack said:

I forgot to ask, is there a mechanism to track an item which was not purchased via geochaching.com? Has anyone created an independent companion tracking application? (if not, maybe I should create one)

My personal signature items used to be trackable on a site like that. The owner of the site couldn't keep up with the spam attacks, and had to shut it down.

The http://geofish.net/ site used to track the personal signature items of digitalfish is still up and running.

And there is a company that sells custom-designed disk-shaped tags that are trackable. But each tag is not trackable. Instead, all the tags of a given design share the same tracking number. And despite the name, the site does not track the path a given tag takes. Instead, it tracks only who has seen each design.

18 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

There was one that used to be a popular one,  tracking currency serial numbers and the zip code you find them in.

It seems that this hobby made the idea of "Trackables"  moving/visiting caches workable, and few are interested otherwise. 

You can mention it by name, unlike the dreaded "m"-word competitor. There was just a conversation about "Where's George" going on in another thread about a week ago.