Cellphone Geocaching Apps

Don&Betty

The phone needs to have a built-in compass, and a rather up-to-date operating system.  Many made within the past 3 years would fit that description.  There is a free Official Geocaching App, that's suitable to test a phone.  It's fine, may be all you need.  There are more Apps, paid in various ways.

The first decision is whether you'll get a phone with an Android or Apple operating system.  If you already have one or the other, you may already know.  The (Apple) iPhone Geocaching Apps are pretty slick.  But the iPhone itself is pretty restrictive.  There are trade-offs.  I chose an Android phone for my most recent upgrade, because of the ease of adding or downloading files.  After that choice, you pick from the Apps that the phone will load.  Beware that Apps come and go, and some that you see available that haven't been updated, may at any time... go.

You can also use the web site to look up caches, on the phone.  You'll probably use that and an App together.  There are also "GPS" Apps where you can type waypoints, rather than a full-blown "Geocaching App", do a search for "free GPS" in the App store. Just depends on your style and what you prefer.

For Geocaching, I much prefer my handheld GPS, a Garmin Oregon 650T.  But I use the Official App at times, and also "Locus Maps Pro".

Edited by kunarion
A deer broke into my house and I had to to wait for the insurance man.
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1