What the heck?!

Seth!

Man, talk about abuse of power:

Jeremy wrote (in another thread that he locked):

quote:
I agree with Mr. Snazz. The forums were not designed to drum up hateful comments to other geocachers, regardless of whether they are in the wrong. If Pinecones is truly being belligerent it doesn't give us carte blanche to reduce ourselves to their level. I'm locking this post and will decide whether to delete it completely.

Did I say anything about sending Pinecones hateful comments?! NO! WTF? Is sending people e-mail such a bad thing now? I was just suggesting that people send them a note asking about the status of the Travel Bug. I never said to be mean to them. I have seen a lot more mean stuff in these forums than that. Why would Jeremy lock that thread? Or delete it?!

Because he can.

Oh, and Snazz, I take back anything nice I ever said about ya.

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Did I say anything about sending Pinecones hateful comments?! NO! WTF? Is sending people e-mail such a bad thing now? I was just suggesting that people send them a note asking about the status of the Travel Bug. I never said to be mean to them. I have seen a lot more mean stuff in these forums than that. Why would Jeremy lock that thread? Or delete it?! Because he can.

- Seth!

To be honest, I can see where you all are coming from. Seth, you obviously love your bug and want to see it returned. And Jeremy was obviously concerned for a reason, whatever it may be. No Seth, you did not say to send hateful e-mails to Pincones, but some people possibly could mis-interpret your post. Pinecones may be embarrased, not know how to respond, or what to say. I've gotten myself in a situation or two like that.

I have never met you Seth, nor Mr. Snazz or Jeremy, but know you are all good people. The bad thing about e-mail and threads like this is that people can take things out of context and make what they will out of them.

I've only got one drink in me know, and I'm already sitting at the computer crying. Call me a softy, but I don't like to see legendary cachers whose names we've heard and posts we've read putting each other down. Maybe it's the state of the world now that's getting to me, but life is just too short for this. You're ALL right (and alright).

--laurak of dasein

Please don't flame me, I am just expressing my thoughts. icon_rolleyes.gif Love to everyone. icon_smile.gif

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!

Jeremy has done a great job with this site. It must be difficult to keep a proper balence. You are a friend Seth!, and sorry, but you can be overbearing, (like many of us). Your bug post is also in that category. Private wars do not belong on the boards. Please go have lunch and work it out.

4497_300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite:

The Lord Of Geocaching has people skills like no one else. Still approving caches Seth?

Nope.

I actually hope the dingdong doesn't screw this hobby up.
Well, he has for me. I never thought I'd think about giving up geocaching, but Jeremy Irish is quickly making this sport very un-fun. Once I've logged my 500th find online (and that should be soon) I may just stop posting my finds. Nobody needs this kind of b---s---.

quote:
Originally posted by dasein:

I have never met you Seth, nor Mr. Snazz or Jeremy, but know you are all good people.

Well, I'm good people.
...but I don't like to see legendary cachers whose names we've heard and posts we've read putting each other down.
Make that one legendary web site owner, one legendary forum poster, and one legendary geocacher. When was the last time you saw those two out on the trail?

Addendum (hit limit of quotes, apparently) Originally posted by EraSeek:

"Jeremy has done a great job with this site."

I've often said this and defended him to his detractors.

"You are a friend Seth!, and sorry, but you can be overbearing, (like many of us)."

Overbearing, perhaps. But this goes beyond overbearing.

"Your bug post is also in that category. Private wars do not belong on the boards."

That's a fair opinion. I disagree with you, but at least you didn't lock my thread just for a power trip.

- Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

[This message was edited by Seth! on March 22, 2003 at 07:08 AM.]

This discussion was discourged in the last thread. It is a less than $5 piece of tin! Let it go already and go hike in the forest. And if somebody else is making ANYTHING un-fun for you, you really need to take a little more responsibilty for your own feelings.

Now if you will pardon me I have some worthless trinkets to locate icon_smile.gif

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely.

**Namaste**

Seth about a year ago I was so upset with Jeremy I also thought about quitting, or not logging finds, or removing all my caches.

I really enjoy this activity as I know you do. But I suspect Jeremy is going to screw himself before this is all over. There are enough people caching these days that I believe we would just have another site to use. The hobby will go on, Jeremy may not.

A couple of days ago Jeremy was uphappy about a user making some negative comments. So he called the user a troll. Quite a few people expressed their concern for his attitude. Some excellent comments were made. I had hoped that Jeremy would read them and maybe consider making some public changes about his attitude and outlook. He didn't.

Locking your thread was silly. I mean it's still there for all to read. If he really had concerns about the content he would have removed it on the spot.

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

I really am truly sorry that your travelbug went missing, apparently at the hands of The Pinecones.

Its unfortunate that they aren't replying to your messages, however I don't think that encouraging everybody to e-mail them is the solution. At best, it borders on harassment.

My post in the previous thread was sarcastic, but was meant to illustrate this same opinion.

I have released a few bugs, and plan on releasing more. I have one that has been held by a guy with one find for quite sometime. No big deal. I haven't even got around to e-mailing him yet, though I may. When I release a bug to me it is like releasing a dove. I let it go, wish it a good life and watch it go. Off onto it's own life of adventure. Wondering where it will end up.I think this is the best way to think of bugs.

4497_300.jpg

I lost a bug, my first, after only a few moves.

It was an $80 pair of binoculars. I wasn't using them so I don't feel like I'm out the money. I did think the value made it a more interesting bug. Maybe a little to interesting.

I do wish that the cache owner had investigated the disappearance and contacted me. I've had to hunt down a couple of bugs that went missing in my cache before. I don't know when I will make it over to Yakima to look into it.

I do think that bug tags should come with a ziploc baggie that more explains the TB. Printed in blaze orange or something. "DO NOT TAKE THIS ITEM UNLESS YOU INTEND TO LOG IT ON THE INTERNET IMMEDIATELY!".

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

"I encourage each and every one of you to send these people an e-mail asking about the Ninja Turtle. In fact, send them two or three."

You posted a link to their profile page.

This public humiliation campaign you have stared is just well, to quote you "That's just freaking rude. Really rude."

Take the road less traveled

icon_geocachingwa.gif

I understand how hard it is to lose one travel bug after another. I even replied to Seth!'s post in that thread listing off some of mine which disapeared. However, asking other geocachers to send two or three emails apiece to this one geocacher is harrasment. Two wrongs absolutely do not make a right.

I agree with Jeremy for locking the thread. I think he did the right thing. He has a big responsibility with this website and many tough decisions to make. I think people should show him alot more appreciation for what he does for us!!!

I for one, Thank You Jeremy!!!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

HARRASSMENT!!!!! Harrassment is for punks. Does anyone feel that their being harrassed? Do you know what harrassed is? If so then lock your doors and stay inside, and don't you dare ansewer the phone or door. For anyone who thinks OH Whoa is me, someone doesn't love me as much as my mother does. Someone dosn't like my opinion. Well I have a miricle solution. Move to another country where eliminating those people is a way of life. As a side note, has anybody heard of a Iraqi immigrant whose 67 year old father was dragged out and beaten with the butt end of rifles for not joining a political party, as well as his 10 year old brother. Not to worry, his 24 yr. old brother was executed for this crime. Has this happened in your neighborhood? Someone doesn't like your log, or your cache? Kiss my harrASS!!!!!

Sorry, I'm a little pissed right now. But remember, saddam doesn't say sorry. I feel blessed. Get back too me when you have something to complain about. Seth, I'm sorry to turn the tide of this but I just don't see it, and I feel for you at the same time. Good caching ahead.

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Man, talk about abuse of power:

Jeremy wrote (in another thread that he locked):

quote:
I agree with Mr. Snazz. The forums were not designed to drum up hateful comments to other geocachers, regardless of whether they are in the wrong. If Pinecones is truly being belligerent it doesn't give us carte blanche to reduce ourselves to their level. I'm locking this post and will decide whether to delete it completely.

Did I say anything about sending Pinecones hateful comments?! NO! WTF? Is sending people e-mail such a bad thing now? I was just suggesting that people send them a note asking about the status of the Travel Bug. I never said to be mean to them. I have seen a lot more mean stuff in these forums than that. Why would Jeremy lock that thread? Or delete it?!

Because he can.

- Seth!

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Alas Jeremy is right. SPAMing someone with email because you are annoyed is not showing discretion or valor.

Hard as it is to bite your tongue and be civil you will piss off a lot less people if you do. "Overbearing" was a kind way to put it. All I've done is watch your occasional post and I can tell you have a problem with this.

Think twice, post once.

Before you point it out, yes I'm guilty of the same thing every now and then.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

I have released a few bugs, and plan on releasing more. I have one that has been held by a guy with one find for quite sometime. No big deal. I haven't even got around to e-mailing him yet, though I may. When I release a bug to me it is like releasing a dove. I let it go, wish it a good life and watch it go. Off onto it's own life of adventure. Wondering where it will end up.I think this is the best way to think of bugs.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/4497_300.jpg

Never invest more in a bug than your willing to lose. Everyone knows the stats on bugs. They are most likely to go missing sooner or later.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

quote:
Originally posted by Ddog-N-Ma:

This public humiliation campaign you have stared is just well, to quote you "That's just freaking rude. Really rude."

I disagree. Sometimes people need a little extra push. I had a TB taken to England (even though the mission was to go to utah) and then the cacher stopped caching. Repeated emails and even offers to pay for return postage went unanswered. Finally as a last resort I posted a note on one of their caches telling the story and asking if anyone had contact with them to let me know. Withing a day, actually a couple of hours, my TB was back out in a cache and a nasty email was in my box. The cacher was pissed because I continued to harrass him, he had family problems, etc. etc. Now, how hard was it for him to send me a short email saying such in reply to one of my previous emails? At that point I would have left him alone. But I had to resort to a "public humiliation campaign" as you call it to get him to respond.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

A few emails isn't spamming. It isn't harressment either. It's just asking someone to get off their butt. But again, the Jerm simply shuts off a thread. Without deleting the thread. So was he really worried about this man getting spammed? If so why did he allow the thread to be viewed. It's about showing an approver who's really the boss around here.

Don't worry Seth, you got paid exactly what Jeremy thinks you're worth.

Oh and what is Jeremy's solution to all this? Replacement bug? Perhaps an administrative letter to the holder of the bug after a certain length of time.

No solution at all except to show up someone that works for free.

You know something Lazyboy? Jeremy is boss around here! For criminy sakes! It's his site, his power bill, His awesome accomplishments in putting Geocaching and this site together! Are you here to complain all the time, or enjoy the fruits of his labor? Someone in this world may be more important than you. Live with it. You don't have to do this, you could take up bowling or something.

What ever your problem is, give it a break. Count your blessings. Go find a cache.

4497_300.jpg

"The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world, it is God's gift to humanity" W.

Eraseek did I start this thread?

Oh I've found a cache or two my friend. And I do appreciate the webiste and especially the helpers on it. But as a PAYING customer I do have a right to complain when I see the owner behaving like a jerk. As when the owner resorted to calling other paying customers names on the general board.

No I do not like Jeremy and he doesn't like me. I think the guy that got all this started is likely to chase even more people away. I for one am hoping that doesn't happen, but I know it's happened too many times already.

Now Eraseek, if you wish to join Jeremy in the hate Lazyboy club feel free to. That's your right.

quote:

Now Eraseek, if you wish to join Jeremy in the hate Lazyboy club feel free to. That's your right.

I think I ought to get in on the ground floor of this hate club. Can you refer to it as the Mr. Snazz and Jeremy Hate Lazyboy club in future postings? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Listen! Put down the weapons for a second and think about why you are even here. If you see yourself as a ''PAYING customer'' you've already lost why you came here in the first place. I don't hate you, I don't even know you. I don't care for your attitude at the present moment. I am not a ''paying customer'' ...I am a ''contributing member''. Please, go find the fun again.

4497_300.jpg

"The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world, it is God's gift to humanity" W.

I attempted to help out Seth in his first post to the forums about his travel bug in February. After his second post I received an email complaint from someone who was concerned over the tone of the forum post and felt it was an abuse of the forums to instigate a mail campaign (spam) against another user. Not knowing the individuals reasoning for not releasing the travel bug to another cache, I felt it was inappropriate to encourage people to do the same thing he asked people a month ago to do, albeit with a less hostile tone.

I personally have nudged people in the past regarding my own bugs, but after I realized they are unresponsive I didn't take my issue on the road. Even people with good intentions may feel harrassed when they're repeatedly badgered, and it is counterproductive.

If you feel it is an abuse of power, that is your right. But calling people dingdong and germ isn't exactly a great way to make your point about it. I'd suggest growing up a little and debate the topic, not subvert it.

And as Eraseek said, I don't know you to like or dislike you. All I see are your actions in the forums. You're probably a nice guy in person, just like Seth is. Separate the reality of the forums in the real world and you'll breathe deeper, trust me.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

A few emails isn't spamming. It isn't harressment either. /QUOTE]

A few e-mails from a few dozen folks (depending on how successful Seth! is in his request) certainly is harrassment.

I'm sorry, Seth!, while I appreciate your frustration, I don't think this is the way to go.

Rather than continue arguing back and forth about this, does anyone have any other ideas on how Seth! might approach these folks? Seth!, does any other geocachers in their area know the Pinecones?

Ron/yumitori

quote:
Originally posted by yumitori:

does anyone have any other ideas on how Seth! might approach these folks? Seth!,

Yeah. Jeremy needs to give up their account info so we can hunt them down like the elusive dogs that they are!

dogrun.gifrocketwhore.gif

evil_lol.gif

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

I have no input other than...

We have lost one travel bug. It never even left the cache we started it in. It was a Mickey D's toy from another cache. No big loss.

We have placed a travel bug in a cache that then was archived. We contacted the cache owner and the travel bug owner. No reply. The travel bug owner (cameraThyme) also attempted to contact the cache owner. No reply. Travel bug gone.

Not a big deal. For either of us. It was between us (the travel bug owner or the last handler of the travel bug) and the person last seen with the travel bug. No one else. I agree with the post about how you shouldn't invest more in a travel bug than you are willing to lose. A hundred emails from Seth! is just as effective as a hundred emails from various cachers (in my opinion) because if they aren't answering one.. they won't answer any. Dat's the breaks!

I keep hoping that this stinkin' thread will sink to the bottom and everyone will forget about it. But then someone else posts a reply and there it is at the top again.

So...while this is already at the top, I'll post one last time.

First of all, I did not send Pinecones more than three or four e-mail messages over an eight month period. I was not harassing them. My thought was that if some people other than me sent them mail, they might take it more seriously. Obviously there is some disagreement on that. Fine. Let's drop it.

But about the Travel Bug itself, I think that those who chided me to 'let it go' should at least hear the story.

Last year, I created a very special geocache called Mission: Impossible--Deep Undercover. To make it extra-cool, I bought action figures as Travel Bugs/Agents. This included Agent 13. I got him on E-bay for about $10, plus the $5 TB tag. He was supposed to go to California and back. He made it as far as Oregon. Then the kids of a geocacher held him out their car window and let him go. Whoosh! Their mom could not find him again. She felt bad, so she bought a new TB tag and bought a Ninja Turtle action figure to replace him. We called him Agent Ninja Turtle, we made a TB Info Sheet, and she put him in the geocache where she got Agent 13. Shortly thereafter, Pinecones picked it up and it has not been seen since.

Now this gal and I are out two Travel Bugs. (I bought a replacement for Agent 13, which is still traveling.) Hopefully this explains why I would like to see Pinecones get the Travel Bug moving again. It would be nice to at least hear a reason from them.

Please do not reply to this in the forums. If you have a burning desire to respond, send me an e-mail. Thank you.

Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif