What constitutes 'damage' to property?

icydee

It's a felled tree, it's been there a long time.

Not sure what you mean by 'common good'.

Actually, I do understand the term. The point is the guidelines make no distinction between public,private or 'common-good'. Just a blanket point not to cause damage. I presume a strict interpretation would be that you can't even 'damage' private property, even with the owners permission.

Edited by icydee

Yes, I am aware of those options, but I can't see a way to make it work since this geocache will look like a fungus rather like the following.

The only other option is to find a tree with a natural hole which I can cover with the faux fungus which is attached with an internal clamp. I have not found such a site yet.

5ba557efc19bf_IMG_4943(2).thumb.JPG.743ae0841ad651e0267e2a8b87526213.JPG

Edited by icydee
56 minutes ago, icydee said:

The only other option is to find a tree with a natural hole which I can cover with the faux fungus which is attached with an internal clamp. I have not found such a site yet.

One of my Favorites is like that. The cache container fits nicely into a pre-existing hole in the tree and looks like it belongs there. That is a very viable approach.

My impression has always been that "damage" would mean that if the cache is removed and one could tell that "something" had been placed there (not counting geotrails or other evidence left by finders) , it would be considered damage or defacement.   Screw holes, whether in a dead or live tree, would indicate that something was attached to the tree.  

• Upvote 2
On 9/22/2018 at 6:26 AM, L0ne.R said:

Does it have to be screwed to the log? Would bungee cord or wire hold the cache in place? Here are some examples:

4b1597f2eb7ebfe70bb42d44d981f6d0.jpg

31a575451e3c6162492101d85c94f023.jpg

431dcc198c6730f5c6fd8474bb39780b.jpg

Ties, if they don't break first by the tree/branch growing will eventually cut into the wood, causing damage. They need to be checked regularly and loosened if necessary.

23 minutes ago, Pork King said:

Attachment method aside, have you considered how long the dead rotten log will be viable as a hiding spot?  A piece of wood, especially one that has already started to rot, tends to fall apart quickly, even without people searching all around/under it. 

Fortunately here in Australia, most of our logs are hardwood and most places have a fairly dry climate. Not all, as we do have rainforest, alpine, etc too, as we have a varied climate, but dry dominates. Hardwood logs in dry climates last for many years, without showing rotting. They will usually far outlast a cache.

The fact your even asking this question is encouraging.   It tells me your thoughtful and care about how your actions are portrayed.    Three cheers to you. 

Like Keystone said.   "Permission is a awesome thing".     It covers all persons involved.   

Keep in mind that getting permission to do something doesn't always make it the right thing to do.   This is where you need to use your own good judgement to make the right call.  

• Upvote 1