Free drinking water tap points

Axel-F

Dear fellow waymarkers,

As a runner, and geocacher I am frequently on the move. On some occasoins I run out of water. the last years I have seen FREE drinking water tap points pop-up al over.  A very useful potentialy new cat imho.  If you consider this a interesting idea I would be very please I you become member of the managing group. "Potable water seekers" (http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=77229f9d-4f34-4da9-8612-fec826120561) . I can use also someone who has the English/American language as mother tongue so we can set up the cat in descent English.

All suggestions are, as always, very welcome.

Thanks in advance for all the input!

35 minutes ago, Axel-F said:

Dear fellow waymarkers,

As a runner, and geocacher I am frequently on the move. On some occasoins I run out of water. the last years I have seen FREE drinking water tap points pop-up al over.  A very useful potentialy new cat imho.  If you consider this a interesting idea I would be very please I you become member of the managing group. "Potable water seekers" (http://www.Waymarking.com/groups/details.aspx?f=1&guid=77229f9d-4f34-4da9-8612-fec826120561) . I can use also someone who has the English/American language as mother tongue so we can set up the cat in descent English.

All suggestions are, as always, very welcome.

Thanks in advance for all the input!

Hi Axel-F.

I believe this category idea was discussed before. I'll try to track it down later today.

I knew it was discussed before, but I could not find the one you found, so thanks for that.

As time goes by, and things around us change, I considered it a good idea to give it another shot. The cat is also more refined.

Edited by Axel-F
spelling
20 hours ago, Axel-F said:

I knew it was discussed before, but I could not find the one you found, so thanks for that.

As time goes by, and things around us change, I considered it a good idea to give it another shot. The cat is also more refined.

Almost every public building here in the US would have one or more drinking fountain or bubbler.  Most private buildings would, also.  Unless something tremendously special is done with the write-up on this category, the category itself has the potential to be EXTREMELY mundane.

Here is what you are going to be asked for Peer Review...

Global - The directory has the potential for worldwide appeal, but only if the categories are not too restricted by region. Consider whether people from all over the world will be able to contribute to this category. We can afford to be somewhat flexible with the application of this guideline for truly outstanding categories. 

Prevalence - How many potential waymarks exist throughout the world? Too few and the category may be of little or no interest to anyone. Too many and you may end up with a category full of mundane, everyday locations. 

Interesting or Informative - In general, good categories can be classified in one of two ways. Interesting: Can you imagine yourself sifting through the gallery for compelling and entertaining images, or making a special trip to visit a waymark in this category? Informative: On the flipside, you may not exclaim "Wow!", but perhaps you or someone else might find the waymarks in this category useful in some way. These waymarks can aid in accomplishing an everyday task more efficiently, or serve to gather enlightening information about a commercial location which may or may not be available from traditional sources.  

Redundant - Could this category be included as a variable in an existing category? For instance, let's say this new category is called "Blue Lighthouses". But, wait! There may already be a "Lighthouses category". Would it make more sense to add a variable for different colors in the "Lighthouses" details?

Although having the location of a drinking fountain can helpful per the third criteria, most people know that in big cities, almost all buildings that have restroom facilities available to the public will have a drinking fountain.  I'm curious to see the write-up on this one...

Here on my college campus, there are several water fountains in each building. There are sometimes 10 or more per level and some of these buildings have 5 or more stories. Here's my take on the idea. Most water fountains are bland, uninteresting, and boring. Therefore, it's not needed to waymark them. However, I could only see two potential ideas that would make me want to waymark them:

1. If the fountain is artistic, then I would love to see them if its creative enough. However, there's an issue. If it's artistic, then I can virtually guarantee it can be waymarked elsewhere. Mosaics, murals, abstract sculptures, ect. take care of this need to create a new category.

2. I could possible see a need if we want to waymark fountains that display how many water bottles it has saved. I think it would be interesting to track the progress with each visitor. Not sure if I would vote yea, but there is a possibility if the write up is good.