Port-A-Potty Cache

Pdx_Guy

Ok, its been 2 months to the day (5/12/02) since the placement (3/12/02) of my Port-A-Potty Cache. Since that date, 59 GeoCachers have reviewed the page 253 times. One GeoCacher 62 times alone, another 49 times, and another 18 times, and the remaining GeoCachers anywhere from 1 to 5 times.

Like ‘Fractal’, ‘MattandLaura’, and others, I decided to make and place a cache that would be very challenging to the ‘Professional’ Northwesterner GeoCacher. One that would not have a trail leading to it within a week or two and one that would not have soda pop poured into it nor pissed in. That’s why I placed a padlock on one of my caches. To prevent such things as those from happening. This cache is not going to have any problems anytime soon!

To help those that are interested in attempting this cache, first and foremost you must think like a surveyor! Your body is the tripod, your GPS is the instruments of the trade, ie; transit (or theodolite), EDMe (Electronic Distance Measuring equipment), Prisms, etc.

COGO (Coordinate Geometry) normally uses a known HV (Horizontal/Vertical) control point with previously computed LGS coordinates (Lambert Grid System, there are others) and then converted to a local grid system. The use of Latitude/Longitude

and trigonometry can accomplish the same thing except that GeoCachers are using a GPS as an all-in-one instrument and without the use of a computer to calculate the coordinates.

To do this cache, simply construct your own coordinate grid by obtaining the Latitude/Longitude (Waypoints) at the three main

places as I have indicated in the description of the cache. As you are doing this simply go to the ‘next’ Waypoint and use the previous Waypoint as the ‘GoTo’ (Back Sight) coordinate and obtain the Heading and Distance to that Waypoint. Remember Bearings are 0 to 90 degrees in four quadrants and Headings are 0 to 360 degrees. Some additional Waypoints will have to be set

due to the hilly conditions between the three main Waypoints. After obtaining all point-to-point Headings and Distances (Inverse), you are then ready to apply the math to finally get to

the cache.

If you are still having a problem, I would be happy to meet you at the cache location on any Saturday or Sunday after the ‘June 1st, Maps-R-Us & Skooter Picnic’.

quote:
Originally posted by Pdx_Guy:

Ok, its been 2 months to the day (5/12/02) since the placement (3/12/02) of my Port-A-Potty Cache. Since that date, 59 GeoCachers have reviewed the page 253 times. One GeoCacher 62 times alone, another 49 times, and another 18 times, and the remaining GeoCachers anywhere from 1 to 5 times.

Guilty as charged!!! I always take another glance at that cache whenever it shows up at the top of my zipcode search from 97214. Although that's still 18 miles north of porta-potty, it seems to happen a lot. Now that i know what cogo is, i'll probably be looking at it some more.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

This is on our "To do" list, but we have to have a time when we have a sitter for the kids...and it's a must that my wife come along, as I need her for the math. icon_smile.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

This is on our "To do" list, but we have to have a time when we have a sitter for the kids...and it's a must that my wife come along, as I need her for the math. icon_smile.gif

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

The fact that no one has found it or posted a log yet is a clear indication (on any cache) that it is either too hard/confusing or people aren't willing to put that much time into a cache when they can go to somewhere like Seattle and get 20 finds in a day. I was going to attempt this one but after reading it, I could see myself screwing up the coordinates multiple times and then not finding the 'micro' container. And the fact that the original cache page contained a message that people attempting the cache should NOT contact you if they are having problems really left a bad taste in my mouth. I deliberately made my Hammerhead cache long and difficult but not beyond the ability of an average or below average person. And for situations where a person gets lost or needs help, I have instructions with information for calculating the final coordinates so that at the very least, people can find a 'large' cache with lots of goodies. On the opposite side of that, if a cache is difficult, not that many people will get it, take for example Above the Clouds. It comes down to sometimes you just can't or you don't want to do a cache. You get more finds on a cache with cookies.

Originally posted by explosis:

On the opposite side of that, if a cache is difficult, not that many people will get it, take for example Above the Clouds. QUOTE]

Arggg....we were soooooooooooo close to getting the Above the Clouds one. The weather was just too terrible to make it. Very close though. I believe that we'll get to it this year or at least try again.

As for this cache, I'd say wait for summer, I'm assuming there's going to be more opportunities for people to go caching and they'll have more time in the day to do it, so they might not mind a difficult one.

p.s. How do you see how many times your cache has been looked at and stuff?

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

Oh, dang it, we don't have our membership yet. We just moved out to Beaverton and don't have any spare cash as of right now. Hopefully we can sign up for the membership during summer.

The membership only status of your cache may be another reason why it has yet to be found. Just a theory though.

buneatg.gifI am the Rabbit King, I can do anything

I'm one of the geocachers who has looked at it zero times. Based on the name, I figured it was 'log a find if you see a honey bucket' or 'we knocked over a toilet in the woods and left some trinkets in it'. It just sounds unsavory. I have no idea, though. I still haven't checked it out.

Also, MO status is probably a big deterent. Even some members won't hunt them.

Seth!

I printed out the sheets so didn't have to keep looking at the site. The fact that it is members only cuts your audience way down I think.

Hopefully between baseball, soccer, the 75 chickens I just got, and the honey-do list I will be able to at least try this. However, I admit that I suck at micro-caches (can you say "getting old" boys & girls).

Maybe explosis or someone might want to team up on this. I am never too prideful to ask for help.

KTF !!! GBWY !!!

Don't let the name scare you off. You will get a big laugh when you get to the end of the line. Teaming up is not such a bad idea cause thinking like surveyors, it takes an instrument(person) and a rod(person) at bare minimum. The rain today doesn't help matters any.