What is inappropriate to waymark?

Max and 99

I guess it all depends on which officer reviews your waymark?

I can't waymark a song lyric that mentions weed, because that's not the direction they want Waymarking to go and  it's not family friendly.  (Although more U.S. states are legalizing recreational marijuana). 

But I CAN waymark a story about a teacher's sexual act upon a girl?

And that's family friendly?? 

Who draws the line, and where is the line drawn? 

We will never all agree on what's inappropriate, but surely there are some boundaries we can all agree on. Or not. ?

A discussion........

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I can't waymark a song lyric that mentions weed, because that's not the direction they want Waymarking to go and  it's not family friendly.  (Although more U.S. states are legalizing recreational marijuana). 

No way.  That didn't really happen.  A waymark was declined because of a song lyric mentioning weed?!?

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

But I CAN waymark a story about a teacher's sexual act upon a girl?

And that's family friendly?? 

Who draws the line, and where is the line drawn? 

We will never all agree on what's inappropriate, but surely there are some boundaries we can all agree on. Or not. ?

A discussion........

And, isn't there a category for nude beaches???

I really don't think anything is off-limits to waymark, if it fits the category.

Now, I would have to say that the pictures would have to be kept G rated.

As for song lyrics, I can think of many that would be inappropriate, but can't think of where I would find someplace to waymark with those lyrics (look up Harry Nilsson's "You're Breakin' My Heart".) But I know of Wildwood Illinois, which would be fun to waymark for "Wildwood Weed". It's a funny song by Jim Stafford.

I had to see for myself.  I joined the category.  A waymark was actually denied, as if by a censor, even though it was a great example for that Waymarking category.  There might be a role for censorship during category creation and peer review but there is no place for such subjectivity after the category requirements are accepted.  A potential waymark meets the category requirements or it does not.  Period.  

Edited by elyob
  • Upvote 1

I guess go back to the post I made about the "Rods of Asclepius" - unless the person is absolutely clear at the time of creation what they expect a perfect waymark in their new category is going to look like, and they also define what is and isn't going to be accepted, it looks like to me that they would have to take the first example that they don't agree with, and update their category description so it doesn't happen again.  If it wasn't spelled out in the original writeup of the category description, I can't see how it could be denied.  That's just the way I approve waymarks, though.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

And I still believe that was wrong. It's history.

Not all history is nice, shiny ponies and unicorns.

I think that there are different opinions about what history is or is not or at least what part of the history is worth documenting it or not. I personally am not interested to know which buildings are former brothels, not because of moral reasons - it just doesn't interest me. Here in Vienna they often look like every other apartment building. Often they were built as apartment builldings and later became a brothel and are now a hotel or an apartment building again. So, these waymarks would (in my humble opinion!) have been as boring as the converted bank buildings. On the other hand, I like the category for Converted Factories, because it is interesting to see how they managed to convert a structure that was built for huge machines to a structure that contains apartments.

Back to topic: Since this is a global game I doubt that we will ever find a global agreement on what's inappropriate or not.

10 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I think that there are different opinions about what history is or is not or at least what part of the history is worth documenting it or not. I personally am not interested to know which buildings are former brothels, not because of moral reasons - it just doesn't interest me. Here in Vienna they often look like every other apartment building. Often they were built as apartment builldings and later became a brothel and are now a hotel or an apartment building again. So, these waymarks would (in my humble opinion!) have been as boring as the converted bank buildings. On the other hand, I like the category for Converted Factories, because it is interesting to see how they managed to convert a structure that was built for huge machines to a structure that contains apartments.

Back to topic: Since this is a global game I doubt that we will ever find a global agreement on what's inappropriate or not.

I guess just for something to do (not that I have nothing to do, though) I'll take exception with this one. In older towns and cities, of the old or original buildings that remain standing I usually find the bank buildings the most interesting AND the most noticeable. Admittedly, things are quite different in Austria than in western North America.

The banks were the businesses which were most interested in making their buildings stand out AND impart a sense of stability and permanence (in spite of their lack of permanence at times - for example the Great Depression). As a result the architecture of bank buildings was usually much more classical than that of their neighbours, with more design elements displayed on the building. The upshot is that, today one may pass through a town for the first time and easily identify the buildings which were originally banks. This makes old banks some of the MOST interesting of all the buildings in a great many towns we've visited to date.

I will say that I, too, find Converted Factories quite interesting, but mostly for their rarity here.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters
2 minutes ago, BK-Hunters said:

OOPS, started a new post by mistake, so now I'll tell you a story. In the past 2 or 3 or 8 days we have been doing WMs in some small southern Alberta towns. Did a WM on the town hall in Stavely, AB yesterday and began searching old history books online looking for info on nearby towns. Found a book on Granum, AB (about 20 miles from Stavely) and discovered that its town hall had originally been built by the Bank of Hamilton about 1910. We had already done that building as a town hall and looking at the pix I realized that it was very similar to the Stavely town hall. Looked at those pix and saw that the two were identical, save for a dormer on the Granum building. Ergo, the Stavely town hall was also a Bank of Hamilton building. A little research can go a long way.

Keith

So......I'm thinking of Waymarking another Immortalized in Lyrics song, and I'm wondering what the reviewers will say. The song mentions "pot" but it's not the marijuana/pot, despite it being a Willie Nelson song.  :o

I'm taking a survey.  Will it get approved or denied? Will the pills be an issue? The word "hell", maybe? Should I risk a submission?

Well, it’s all going to pot
Whether we like it or not
The best I can tell
The world’s gone to hell
And we’re sure gonna miss it a lot

All of the whiskey in Lynchburg, Tennessee
Is just couldn't hit the spot
I gotta hundred dollar bill, friend
You can keep your pills
'Cause it’s all going to pot
28 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

So......I'm thinking of Waymarking another Immortalized in Lyrics song, and I'm wondering what the reviewers will say. The song mentions "pot" but it's not the marijuana/pot, despite it being a Willie Nelson song.  :o

I'm taking a survey.  Will it get approved or denied? Will the pills be an issue? The word "hell", maybe? Should I risk a submission?

The best I can tell
The world’s gone to hell

You can keep your pills

I don't know if a mention in the chorus of a song is what they're looking for, so much as , say, a song ABOUT Lynchburg, Tennessee. If just a mention will do, then one could spend a couple of weeks Waymarking the song I've Been Everywhere, AFTER they'd visited all the places mentioned.

Keith

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

The best I can tell
The world’s gone to hell

You can keep your pills

I think, it will get approved, or otherwise they should also get rid of the BandsHELLs, Unique Chimneys and Chimney POTs and several other categories. :D

On 10/9/2018 at 5:53 PM, Max and 99 said:

So......I'm thinking of Waymarking another Immortalized in Lyrics song, and I'm wondering what the reviewers will say. The song mentions "pot" but it's not the marijuana/pot, despite it being a Willie Nelson song.

Cool!!! I see you found a song that's actually about Lynchburg, Tennessee. I must say, I'm not familiar with the song, though.

Keith