Need help from a cacher fluent in Spanish

disneyfan1313

Hello!  This is a bit of a random request, but I will be traveling to Cuba on a cruise this weekend and I am really looking forward to doing a few caches.  I was thinking it might be helpful to have a printed out definition of what caching is in Spanish to show our guide and also to be able to show the police or anyone else who might question what we are doing.  I know Cuba is very sensitive about anything involving GPS, so the definition would need to not mention that and most of the blurbs online about caching in Spanish mention GPS.   I'm going to be going old school and printing out a few possible caches and try and find them simply by the printed map, hints and some luck.

Is there anyone who could help me with this?  Sorry in advance if this is not the right forum for this and thank you in advance for any help!

Edited by disneyfan1313

If you use short simple sentences, non technical language and avoid turns of phrase like , well, like 'turns of phrase', idioms which may cause problems, google translate will give you a first draft,  which you could then run by an actual human who speaks the language to read and  improve it, an easier task for someone to do than to go straight from the English.

Finding a local person to do this for you shouldn't be a problem, you could contact a local school that teaches Spanish , find a customer service based business (maybe a restaurant) which has staff who are from  Spanish speaking countries, ask at a public library.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, disneyfan1313 said:

Hello!  This is a bit of a random request, but I will be traveling to Cuba on a cruise this weekend and I am really looking forward to doing a few caches.  I was thinking it might be helpful to have a printed out definition of what caching is in Spanish to show our guide and also to be able to show the police or anyone else who might question what we are doing.  I know Cuba is very sensitive about anything involving GPS, so the definition would need to not mention that and most of the blurbs online about caching in Spanish mention GPS.   I'm going to be going old school and printing out a few possible caches and try and find them simply by the printed map, hints and some luck.

Is there anyone who could help me with this?  Sorry in advance if this is not the right forum for this and thank you in advance for any help!

I've been to Cuba twice and didn't meet anyone that didn't speak English.  Prior to my first visit I had a github project which had translations of "What is Geocaching?" files which could be used when traveling in other countries.  Someone from the university where I was to visit discovered it and was very concerned about the advocation of using a GPS and "hiding things in Cuba" and as a result I didn't the the business visa required to visit the university.  

• Upvote 1

Its like a treasure hunt game---Es como un juego de buscar tesoro.

Its to find interesting things in the world---Es para encontrar cosas interesantes en el mundo.

The game pieces are hidden in different places---Las cosas del juego estan escondidas en diferente lugares.

Its like Pokemon Go----Es como Pokemon Go.

When you find it, you sign the paper to get a point---Cuando lo encuentras, firmas un papel y te ganas un punto.

Edited by Gabeman26
  • Upvote 3
56 minutes ago, Gabeman26 said:

Its like a treasure hunt game---Es como un juego de buscar tesoro.

Its to find interesting things in the world---Es para encontrar cosas interesantes en el mundo.

The game pieces are hidden in different places---Las cosas del juego estan escondidas en diferente lugares.

Its like Pokemon Go----Es como Pokemon Go.

When you find it, you sign the paper to get a point---Cuando lo encuentras, firmas un papel y te ganas un punto.

Well done, Gabeman26!

11 hours ago, disneyfan1313 said:

I will be traveling to Cuba on a cruise this weekend and I am really looking forward to doing a few caches.  I was thinking it might be helpful to have a printed out definition of what caching is in Spanish to show our guide and also to be able to show the police or anyone else who might question what we are doing.  I know Cuba is very sensitive about anything involving GPS, so the definition would need to not mention that and most of the blurbs online about caching in Spanish mention GPS. 

I don't see how you could explain the hobby without mention of GPS.  You want to be as honest as possible.  The simple stash note has it in Spanish...

I wouldn't attempt some cryptic "treasure hunt" or "hidden game pieces" if you don't know who you're talking to.

Not my favorite choice, but I'd just use my phone.   :)

38 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I don't see how you could explain the hobby without mention of GPS.  You want to be as honest as possible.  The simple stash note has it in Spanish...

I wouldn't attempt some cryptic "treasure hunt" or "hidden game pieces" if you don't know who you're talking to.

Not my favorite choice, but I'd just use my phone.   :)

It might be better not mentioning the GPS, but just say that it's a game which uses an app on a smartphone.   I wouldn't use a stash note as it mentions the use of a GPS...multiple times.

The main geocaching.com home page, if one logs out, has a spanish translation (as well as many other languages) and some basic information.  The video is actually pretty good (but only in English) but without internet connectivity you wouldn't be able to show it.  Wifi access is mostly limited to a few bigger hotels, and Etecsa stores (the government communications company where one can buy "minutes" for use on a wifi connection).  

Keep in mind that the ban on GPS devices also applied when all of these caches were hidden - which is why pretty much all the cache descriptions down there (other than at Guantanamo Bay) are written like letterboxes and/or have heavy spoiler hints and/or spoiler photos.

Sounds like you're on the right track: taking printouts with you and leaving the GPSr at home.

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

Keep in mind that the ban on GPS devices also applied when all of these caches were hidden - which is why pretty much all the cache descriptions down there (other than at Guantanamo Bay) are written like letterboxes and/or have heavy spoiler hints and/or spoiler photos.

Sounds like you're on the right track: taking printouts with you and leaving the GPSr at home.

Yes, leave the GPS at home.  

As far as caches hidden without the use of a GPS goes...there are a lot more caches hidden using a smart phone that those in Cuba. 

16 hours ago, Gabeman26 said:

Plus there is no wifi in Cuba. But probably in the Hotel there might be.

There is"some" wifi in Cuba, but as you suggest it's mostly in larger hotels.  In order to use the wifi one must also buy am Etecsa card which is relatively inexpensive ($1.50 for an hour of connect time) but pretty inconvenient.  Etecsa is the government run communications company.  There is also a wifi hotspot at the Etecsa stores and, outside of Havana, they have set up up wifi in town parks.   The first time I was there I was walking down a narrow road in old Havana and saw a bunch of people ahead,  leaning against the buildings on either side.  They were all using the cell phones and connecting to the wifi from the hotel next to the road.