Friend and fellow cacher lost

makaio

I hate to bring a sad note to the forums, but my friend and the person who pointed me to geocaching back in 2000 was found deceased in his home yesterday. While he didn't geocache much, he did place one in his favorite spot on Hembre Ridge in Tillamook State Forest.

I know many of you have logged this cache and are aware of what a wonderful spot it is and the views it provides. This cache is almost 3 years old and going strong. Would anyone be willing to adopt this cache, possibly someone on the west side? History has shown it doesn't take much, if any maintainance. I would adopt it myself if I wasn't moving out of state.

If interested, let me know so I can work it out with Jeremy.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

I hate to bring a sad note to the forums, but my friend and the person who pointed me to geocaching back in 2000 was found deceased in his home yesterday.

Oh Makaio, our regrets to you, and Guy's family. While at work today I read parts of 'The Oregonian' on my lunch break, where I ran across Guy's name and hesitated. I recognized his name, but couldn't immediately recall where from.

I've been sitting here for minutes with my mouth agape, eyes teary, though I did not know Guy. Most of us did not know him, but our lives have been enriched by his Hembre Ridge cache. Although very sad news, thank you for letting us know. Rest assured that Guy will live on in many people's memories--geocachers among them.

--laurak of dasein

I wish I could adopt his cache, but I live about 200 miles away from the spot. I hope someone will step up and accept ownership of it. We plan on heading up that way in the near future. We seem to do more coast caching in the winter when the storms are frequent and the rates are cheap.

-Zzzoey

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

Thanks for the consideration, Zzzoey.

bazzle has graciously agreed to adopt this cache. It takes virtually 0 maintenance but still should be owned by someone local.

TPTB gave me temp access to it and I added a memorial paragraph to the page. A group of his friends will be on-site on Oct 4th to place a memorial plaque in his honor.

-----

Matt

K7MTO

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

A group of his friends will be on-site on Oct 4th to place a memorial plaque in his honor.

Makaio,

Are you able to provide us with an approximate time that the plaque will be placed on 10/4? Though we won't be able to be there in person, we would like to be in thought and spirit.

Thanks dasein.

We're planning on meeting at 08:00 at Roger's Camp staging area, then caravanning up to Hembre Ridge which will take about an hour. After the memorial, some will head for 4x4 trails for the rest of the day while others (including myslef) will head home (lots of packing to complete).

-----

Matt

K7MTO