Creating a Cache

Gabeman26

2 minutes ago, Gabeman26 said:

I see you can buy containers online. I was thinking those soda tubes but I kind of want something a little bigger.

I was thinking peanut butter jar, would that work?

A plastic one.

I see you can buy the log sheets online or where do you guys get them from?

I just did a google search and there are a LOT of sites that have them created for you to print for your own cache.

I avoid using containers that previously stored food. Just saying. Lots of people use them, but..... the animals can sniff them out.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Gabeman26 said:

I see you can buy containers online. I was thinking those soda tubes but I kind of want something a little bigger.

A plastic one.

Plastic peanut butter jars work great if you do a little waterproofing to them.   Take the cover off the peanut butter jar.   find an old bicycle tire inner tube and cut it open.  Lay it flat and, using the cover,  trace a circle with a sharpie.   Cut it to fit the inside of the cover.   Take some gorilla glue or JB weld and glue the rubber circle inside the cover.   Should make a nice solid seal when you put it back on the jar.   For about $2.00 I drilled a hole in the center of the cover and inserted an eye bolt so I could hang it.   If you decide to do that make sure you put a metal washer on the bolt first.  Then a rubber washer.   thread it through the top.  On the back side put on the rubber washer followed by the metal washer and tighten it all up with a nut.   You can put a little glue around both sides of the hole before doing this to sure everything up.  I've had one hanging from a tree for over 5 years now and have never had a water issue with it.        

1 hour ago, Gabeman26 said:

I was thinking of buying some new peanut butter jars (unused). Thanks for the heads up. I'll be working on it.

I've used peanut butter jars with good results. But I always put a gasket in the lid to keep the water out. Almost every pb jar I've found without a gasket had water in it, especially when they are a ground hide or stump hide (i.e. near the ground or where water can accumulate). I use a cheap homemade gasket. I buy fun foam at the dollar store and cut out a circle to fit snuggly in the inner lid. Bicycle tube gasket would make a very sturdy gasket.  

2 hours ago, Gabeman26 said:

A plastic one.

I only have one pb jar cache.  It is tucked under a bridge where it is protected from rain.

Log sheets -- I print them.

We made a couple for others, using those freebie jar removers as gaskets.  Gorilla glued 'em in.  We haven't used them.

Most any thin rubber or foam should be okay I guess.

With the time/money folks  used to "rig" home stuff to work, a decent container can simply be bought.

Buying "unused" peanut butter jars, then rigging them to work would be last on my list.     :)