New Cache - reserve a location

icydee

I wanted to create a cache in a very specific location, which would also take a while to construct. Not wanting to spend a lot of time only to find when I came to register it that it was then within the minimum distance to another cache I wanted to 'pre-register' it to prevent other caches being placed within it's range.

I asked the reviewer to not make it live, but to register it so that I would have time to build it.

However, another cache has since been placed within the 0.1 mile of my location.

How else could I have done this?

1. Register the cache but immediately put in into 'disabled' status while I construct it?

2. Put a 'temporary' cache there which I archive as soon as the new cache is available?

3. Put a 'temporary' cache there which I replace with the new cache?

I'm not happy with any of these.

1 because the cache will appear then disappear and (I presume) result in emails going out to people about a new cache followed by a 'disabled'.

2 seems a bit of a cludge to do what I want.

3 because the 'difficulty' of the cache will change and early finders won't want to come back to resolve the problem.

Any other ideas?

You did not create a draft (disabled) cache page to reserve your spot.  Emailing the coordinates to a reviewer doesn't do anything other than perhaps giving you an indication on the location's availability.  If you'd created a page, the reviewer toolset would have flagged your cache when the reviewer was looking at the other nearby cache.

See this Help Center article.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

I see only one unpublished disabled cache that you own.  You explained that you wanted a couple of months to complete it  a couple of months ago, and responded to the reviewer's other questions. All looks good to me, you handled this exactly right, though you're at the end of the time frame you originally proposed for this.

I assume this is what you mean by "pre-register' it to prevent other caches being placed within it's range." ??

The coords on that cache page are now too close to  another cache that you own, which does effectively block your original placement.

What you might have done is not block cache number 1 by placing cache number 2?

Otherwise, I'd say your option is exactly what you seem to have already done -  write up cache page, ask for check, answer any questions, and once the reviewer says all is okay, then get it done within that time frame.

• Helpful 1

I realize that the cache placed is my own, and I intend to move it so that my original cache can be finally placed (although I have been incapacitated due to an injury, so I really should get back in touch with the reviewer).

Nevertheless, I would have expected anyone, including myself, to have been warned about trying to place a cache too close to my first one.

What prompted my question was that I have plans in the future to place a new cache and wanted to avoid making the same 'mistake' twice. Also I can't afford to take time to make a bespoke cache that I can only use in one place only to find when I place it that I am obstructed by another physical location that does not appear on the map, i.e. the physical location of a puzzle cache.

Thanks for your replies so far.

7 minutes ago, icydee said:

What prompted my question was that I have plans in the future to place a new cache and wanted to avoid making the same 'mistake' twice. Also I can't afford to take time to make a bespoke cache that I can only use in one place only to find when I place it that I am obstructed by another physical location that does not appear on the map, i.e. the physical location of a puzzle cache.

You can submit a Listing for a Coordinate Check, without going to the trouble of placing the cache first, but your Reviewer will only *see* the Listing page if it is Enabled, or if you contact them privately (assuming they respond).  In my area, Listings can be submitted for a Coordinate Check, but it must be made clear on the page that the submission is just to check the coordinates.  Changing the Title of the Listing to "Coordinate Check Only", or something along those lines, is sufficient to get the Reviewers attention so that the Listing isn't accidentally Published.