Archived Waymarks in a Scavenger Hunt

CEO44

I am trying to complete one of my Scavenger Hunts, with 6 Waymarks to go. However 3 are Milestones, all of which have been archived. What are my options for completing the hunt?

Do I call it complete when only the milestones remain, can I generate replacements, or are there other options?

8 hours ago, CEO44 said:

I am trying to complete one of my Scavenger Hunts, with 6 Waymarks to go. However 3 are Milestones, all of which have been archived. What are my options for completing the hunt?

Do I call it complete when only the milestones remain, can I generate replacements, or are there other options?

Hi there CEO44.

I have a LOT of experience with scavenger hunts, and I hope I can help. Can you show me the hunt/waymark? I have never had an Archived Waymark show up on a scavenger hunt (Lots of waymarks that are GONE have showed up, though). In that case, if you do not visit them, you will never complete the hunt. You can't just call it complete, the system is suppose to complete the hunt for you when all waymarks are visited. If a waymark is gone, but has shown up on my hunt, I visit it. I tell others to do the same with my hunts, too.

However, several years ago I worked very hard on a 100 waymark hunt, and even though ever single waymark on the hunt was visited, and it clearly showed they were all visited, there was a glitch in the system and the hunt would not complete. I asked for help several times from HQ and got none, so I quit working on hunts for years. I went to a lot of work for that hunt, only to get NO credit.

I'd really like to see your hunt or waymark, if you can share that with me.

Thanks!

Same here. Just joined the "Guthrie Scavenger Hunt#2" just to see what it was all about, and one of the waymarks is archived (WM76M) so that hunt can never be completed.

Also, it appears that when you join a hunt, you don't get credit for any of the waymarks that you've already visited and have to visit them again.

So I would just as soon pretend I never even tried this, but there seems to be no way to leave a scavenger hunt, so it also appears that this one will be in "My Scavenger Hunts" as uncompleted until the end of time.

Edited by The Snowdog
32 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Same here. Just joined the "Guthrie Scavenger Hunt#2" just to see what it was all about, and one of the waymarks is archived (WM76M) so that hunt can never be completed.

Also, it appears that when you join a hunt, you don't get credit for any of the waymarks that you've already visited and have to visit them again.

So I would just as soon pretend I never even tried this, but there seems to be no way to leave a scavenger hunt, so it also appears that this one will be in "My Scavenger Hunts" as uncompleted until the end of time.

You are never supposed to get credit for waymarks already visited. ALL waymarks on a scavenger hunt are supposed to be visited AFTER it's created (if it's yours), or after you join (if someone else created it). That's why it takes FOREVER!

You absolutely can abandon a scavenger hunt you start! 

Since all my active hunts are my own, I'm sorry that I can't try it out for you. But I really think you can. I just can't investigate right now.  I thought I remembered a link on the right side that's something like "abandon hunt". Maybe.

Edited by Max and 99
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm very  unhappy that one waymark I  have to visit for a hunt will cost me $14 for ONE photo. Yikes! I try to be careful when I scan a hunt for the waymarks assigned to it, but I never thought that one would require such a steep fee to visit.

LOL I have lots of what I call "ten dollar caches" where I paid to get into a park (or whatever) for a cache I needed for a challenge or for the D/T or something...

Edited by The Snowdog
On 9/16/2018 at 4:07 AM, CEO44 said:

Well, I would go ahead and go to the site and show that those mile stones are not there so I can complete the scavenger hunt.  I had to do the same thing on one in Dallas a few years back.  Unfortunately, in this case, you specifically must use these to complete so waymark the visit, or in this case, the non-visit.

Apologies for the delay in replying to the helpful correspondence.  The hunt I am referring to is my own  'Walkies around Norwich' at  http://www.Waymarking.com/hunt/details.aspx?guid=4461c4df-aadb-401b-a5c6-a62db4b4c0e5 .  The milestones were live when the hunt started.   it looks like all the milestones created by the owner have been archived for some reason.   It is my own hunt and I am loath to abandon it when eveything else is complete.  What needed is an option to generate replacement waymarks for archived or lost waymarks.

The option to log a visit to an archived waymark isn't available as far as I can see.

The archived waymarks are:  WMD867, WMD812, WMD80Y.  The last one I had already logged before the I set up the hunt.  Should there be an option to exclude previously visited Waymarks when creating a Scavenger Hunt?

Edited by CEO44
Update info

I don't see any logged visits for WMD80Y. Anyway, there already is an option to exclude previously visited waymarks when you create the hunt. You simply cannot finish the hunt since you can't log a visit on an archived waymark. Even if you visited a waymark before you ran the hunt, you'd need to physically visit it again after the hunt is created. 

When I created the hunt 01/01/12 the waymarks were not archived. They were archived later.

The milestones are all there still so  I could visit them. I have asked the category officers if they can make the milestones live again.

I have no problem with revisiting Waymarks if they appear in new hunts.