Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
CEO44

Archived Waymarks in a Scavenger Hunt

Recommended Posts

I am trying to complete one of my Scavenger Hunts, with 6 Waymarks to go. However 3 are Milestones, all of which have been archived. What are my options for completing the hunt?

Do I call it complete when only the milestones remain, can I generate replacements, or are there other options?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, CEO44 said:

I am trying to complete one of my Scavenger Hunts, with 6 Waymarks to go. However 3 are Milestones, all of which have been archived. What are my options for completing the hunt?

Do I call it complete when only the milestones remain, can I generate replacements, or are there other options?

Hi there CEO44.

I have a LOT of experience with scavenger hunts, and I hope I can help. Can you show me the hunt/waymark? I have never had an Archived Waymark show up on a scavenger hunt (Lots of waymarks that are GONE have showed up, though). In that case, if you do not visit them, you will never complete the hunt. You can't just call it complete, the system is suppose to complete the hunt for you when all waymarks are visited. If a waymark is gone, but has shown up on my hunt, I visit it. I tell others to do the same with my hunts, too.

 

However, several years ago I worked very hard on a 100 waymark hunt, and even though ever single waymark on the hunt was visited, and it clearly showed they were all visited, there was a glitch in the system and the hunt would not complete. I asked for help several times from HQ and got none, so I quit working on hunts for years. I went to a lot of work for that hunt, only to get NO credit.

 

I'd really like to see your hunt or waymark, if you can share that with me.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Same here. Just joined the "Guthrie Scavenger Hunt#2" just to see what it was all about, and one of the waymarks is archived (WM76M) so that hunt can never be completed.

 

Also, it appears that when you join a hunt, you don't get credit for any of the waymarks that you've already visited and have to visit them again.

 

So I would just as soon pretend I never even tried this, but there seems to be no way to leave a scavenger hunt, so it also appears that this one will be in "My Scavenger Hunts" as uncompleted until the end of time.

 

 

Edited by The Snowdog

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

Same here. Just joined the "Guthrie Scavenger Hunt#2" just to see what it was all about, and one of the waymarks is archived (WM76M) so that hunt can never be completed.

 

Also, it appears that when you join a hunt, you don't get credit for any of the waymarks that you've already visited and have to visit them again.

 

So I would just as soon pretend I never even tried this, but there seems to be no way to leave a scavenger hunt, so it also appears that this one will be in "My Scavenger Hunts" as uncompleted until the end of time.

 

 

You are never supposed to get credit for waymarks already visited. ALL waymarks on a scavenger hunt are supposed to be visited AFTER it's created (if it's yours), or after you join (if someone else created it). That's why it takes FOREVER!

 

You absolutely can abandon a scavenger hunt you start! 

 

Since all my active hunts are my own, I'm sorry that I can't try it out for you. But I really think you can. I just can't investigate right now.  I thought I remembered a link on the right side that's something like "abandon hunt". Maybe.

 

Edited by Max and 99

Share this post


Link to post

I'm very  unhappy that one waymark I  have to visit for a hunt will cost me $14 for ONE photo. Yikes! I try to be careful when I scan a hunt for the waymarks assigned to it, but I never thought that one would require such a steep fee to visit.

Share this post


Link to post

I was correct. I joined a hunt on my son's account, and see the option "Abandon this Hunt" on the right hand side.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I'm very  unhappy that one waymark I  have to visit for a hunt will cost me $14 for ONE photo. Yikes! I try to be careful when I scan a hunt for the waymarks assigned to it, but I never thought that one would require such a steep fee to visit.

 

LOL I have lots of what I call "ten dollar caches" where I paid to get into a park (or whatever) for a cache I needed for a challenge or for the D/T or something...

Edited by The Snowdog

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

OK I see it now. Hunt abandoned, re-visit logs deleted, and I guess that is it for scavenger hunts.

Was it fun while it lasted?  Hamquilter often says to me, "I don't get it. You're just making more work for yourself!"  Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Was it fun while it lasted?  Hamquilter often says to me, "I don't get it. You're just making more work for yourself!"  Haha.

 

Just exploring the various nooks and crannies of Waymarking. Some have worked out. Others have not. But it's always fun :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/16/2018 at 4:07 AM, CEO44 said:

I am trying to complete one of my Scavenger Hunts, with 6 Waymarks to go. However 3 are Milestones, all of which have been archived. What are my options for completing the hunt?

Do I call it complete when only the milestones remain, can I generate replacements, or are there other options?

Well, I would go ahead and go to the site and show that those mile stones are not there so I can complete the scavenger hunt.  I had to do the same thing on one in Dallas a few years back.  Unfortunately, in this case, you specifically must use these to complete so waymark the visit, or in this case, the non-visit.

Share this post


Link to post

Out of curiosity I tried to log a visit on someone else's archived waymark, and the option wasn't there.  It could not be visited.

I  haven't seen an archived waymark show up on any of my hunts.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

×