Help please

kaz56

Yesterday all my geocaches I had downloaded the day before (yes I did check) had vanished, now done another PQ and they are  on and fine but I have lost my maps can anyone help please

Garmin support said to use garmin express to reinstall maps but I have not got them

• Upvote 1

After eventualy managing to download to my GPS,  using new methods,  that is clicking Download on cache page  the yellow bar appears at bottom of screen on  IE 11,  and asks if I wont to open  ,save or save as,   I click on save as,   then the new window appears with the file as a GPX file,  click save,   then   open folder as requested,   and then  send to GPS,       last week this worked well, but today the files do not go onto my GPS,     I have a garmin etrex touch 25,    the files do show on the garmin folder,    please help!  

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Burton wanderers said:

After eventualy managing to download to my GPS,  using new methods,  that is clicking Download on cache page  the yellow bar appears at bottom of screen on  IE 11,  and asks if I wont to open  ,save or save as,   I click on save as,   then the new window appears with the file as a GPX file,  click save,   then   open folder as requested,   and then  send to GPS,       last week this worked well, but today the files do not go onto my GPS,     I have a garmin etrex touch 25,    the files do show on the garmin folder,    please help!  

Can you verify whether or not the GPX files are in the Garmin/GPX folder?

Remember that caches beyond 60 miles of where your GPS thinks it is, are not automatically shown.

38 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Kunarion,    yes the files are listed under garmin, (  when I click the GPX  In the folder the files are not in the folder)    exactly the same is happening on an old oregan 450,  all the geocaches are witin 25 miles,    hope you have the answer!, and thanks yet again.

The GPX files go into the GPX folder, which is inside the Garmin folder.  "Garmin/GPX".  Unless the GPX files are exactly there, they won't be displayed on the GPS screen.  You can cut/paste to the correct folder.

I often first download a GPX file (or a Pocket Query), and allow the files to arrive in the PC's "Downloads" folder.  Then I copy and paste the GPX files to Garmin/GPX (Pocket Queries get unzipped first).  This way I have files available on my PC, and then I can delete them later once everything's working.

Edited by kunarion
While typing my post, I was bitten by a duck.
10 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Is there any way to get these files to be saved into the GPX  folder straight away,    this must have happened previously,  thanks.

Depending on your web browser, you may choose "Save As...", and drill down and specify the exact folder.  Beware that if you use your PC for anything else besides loading that GPS, settings can change.

thanks very much, this now in order,    but wander if you can help with this,    when trying all these new ways of downloading,   my maps appear to have disappeared,   I did use easy GPS for a short while,  (  no maps on, unless paid for,)   but  maps were possibly deleted since,  not sure,   went into garmin express,   but no mention of downloading the UK map I  want,  only Europe map that I didn't update earlier,     do you thnk I should contact them.     there is nothing to suggest the maps are on the GPS   I know I can get maps elsewere,    thanks 

9 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

thanks very much, this now in order,    but wander if you can help with this,    when trying all these new ways of downloading,   my maps appear to have disappeared,   I did use easy GPS for a short while,  (  no maps on, unless paid for,)   but  maps were possibly deleted since,  not sure,   went into garmin express,   but no mention of downloading the UK map I  want,  only Europe map that I didn't update earlier,     do you thnk I should contact them.     there is nothing to suggest the maps are on the GPS   I know I can get maps elsewere,    thanks 

Were they maps you downloaded after you bought the GPS?  Because of memory limitations, maps are often saved onto an SD card.  Do you know if the maps were internal or on a card?  You may be able to manually select which maps are shown.  So if the maps are there, it could just be a setting.

22 hours ago, kunarion said:

I often first download a GPX file (or a Pocket Query), and allow the files to arrive in the PC's "Downloads" folder.  Then I copy and paste the GPX files to Garmin/GPX (Pocket Queries get unzipped first).  This way I have files available on my PC, and then I can delete them later once everything's working.

Of course, they don't have to go into the Downloads folder.  One can create a hierarchy of folders and save PQ results in some organized manner.   I have a geocaching/travel folder with sub-folders for different places where I'm going where I can save PQ results, OpenStreetMaps maps, etc.