Release Notes (Website: Progressive release, new Search/Map) - September 14, 2018

So I guess I was opted in to the new search feature today and have been trying to figure out how to use it.  Some initial issues are that I don't get the leaflet map to show at all, only grey screen.  I also don't see any way to sort the list, it comes up as most favorited within whatever screen view I have but that is it.  I do a lot of searching by placed dates or D/T ratings and that functionality is completely gone with what I am presented with now. But that may be a me issue as others don't seem to have the lack of map or search options reading through this thread. The google map does work if I change to that or the satellite option.  I have tried it on three different browsers with the same results.  I think I am going to have to opt out as this search feature is pretty useless for the way that I try to choose caches and my caching trips.  I hope that the ability to keep the search list and manipulate/sort it before going to a map view is maintained in the long term changes. 

2018-10-26 15_23_35-Greenshot.png

• Upvote 1

There is something not quite right with the 'Download GPX' function in the new map sidebar.  The file that is downloaded is significantly different than the GPX file you get when selecting 'GPX File' on the main cache page.  The file you get when using the download function from the map sidebar shows up in Garmin's Basecamp as a Waypoint with no description or logs.  I attached a screen shot of the two versions side by side.  The file that you get when using the Download GPX option in the map sidebar has WAY less information in it than the GPX file you get when using the GPX File button on the cache page.

Capture.JPG

This new search will take some time to get used to.  It would be nice to keep the old search for “newest caches” and also keep this new search.  

What I do not like of the new search:

1)  I have to continually change the filters to exclude my finds for each search.

2)  Do not know which are the newest caches nor if it is still a FTF, unless I click on the cache itself in the list on the left.

3)  Do not know when it was last found, unless I click on the cache in the list.

4)  When looking at the listing I do not see the hide date nor when I click on one of the caches.  For events it does show the date.

5)  I do have to scroll out a lot to finally see all new caches in my area.

6)  It appears to be taking more bandwidth.   At my work the search is very slow, maybe they are throttling me? hmm!!

What I do like is the following:

1)  When hovering over the cache listing it does show the location of the cache on the map.

2)  The list shows the size, DT ratings and GC code

3)  The filtering list is very complete and it has all the needed items.

It appears that this new change search will take sometime to get used to how it functions.  I would like to exclude my finds quicker then going into filters each time.

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 8.28.11 AM copy.jpg

Edited by gjhimages
update
  • Upvote 2

Windows Pro Firefox 61.0.1

Testing the gpx download, per the JohnCNA post above

1) download from the hamburger from list on the left side of the map doesn't work at all, but once cache is selected, can download there. images below

GC2X18B gpx from the New map -  count of that file is   354 words, 4662 characters. The text of the page and 4 logs appears  in the download  when opened  in a text editor, on my GPS devices ( Garmin ) it's a waypoint, displays as if I'd downloaded the loc file

GSAK can parse it as a Geocache, but all the html is displayed. It can be saved as a Geocache through GSAK and will load  as such.

GC2X18B gpx from the cache page 962 words Characters: 12166. This is a geocache on my Garmin

If create a list from the map, and download a PQ of that list, the gpx file for GC2X18B is 446 words, 5340 characters... =;-)  , after unzipping the PQ, my Garmin sees it as a geocache

no load.jpg

load.jpg

Edited by palmetto
8 hours ago, palmetto said:

Windows Pro Firefox 61.0.1

Testing the gpx download, per the JohnCNA post above

1) download from the hamburger from list on the left side of the map doesn't work at all, but once cache is selected, can download there. images below

GC2X18B gpx from the New map -  count of that file is   354 words, 4662 characters. The text of the page and 4 logs appears  in the download  when opened  in a text editor, on my GPS devices ( Garmin ) it's a waypoint, displays as if I'd downloaded the loc file

GSAK can parse it as a Geocache, but all the html is displayed. It can be saved as a Geocache through GSAK and will load  as such.

GC2X18B gpx from the cache page 962 words Characters: 12166. This is a geocache on my Garmin

If create a list from the map, and download a PQ of that list, the gpx file for GC2X18B is 446 words, 5340 characters... =;-)  , after unzipping the PQ, my Garmin sees it as a geocache

Based on what I can see in JohnCNA's post, it looks like the GPX file from the new map is missing the xml "prolog" tag at the beginning:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

In theory, this is supposed to be optional, but it's possible that Garmin requires it and will fail to read the file if it's missing. You could easily test by adding this line to one of the new GPX files and see if the Garmin can read it.

As for the difference in the number of characters, one factor might be the lack of indentation in the file from the new map. The indents in the old files are accomplished using space characters, so they add up quickly. For example, a single log in one of the old-style GPX files uses 56 spaces just for the indentation. There's also a few carriage return characters for new lines.

Problem: I used to be able to search on coordinates (i.e.   N 46° 15.753 W 087° 55.976 ) and it didn’t matter if there was a cache there or not. It used to give me a list of the closest caches. Now I’m brought to an empty map/list as there is no cache at those exact coordinates. I’m forced to zoom out on the map, but of course I have no idea which cache is closest to those coordinates.

B6085F29-4F20-4034-ADDF-91889F48ED59.jpeg

21DE2FB7-A422-4331-BF54-F6FFC6B1CFF7.png

Edited by geoBirder
Added screen shots: Current (problem) and Past
  • Upvote 2

New Map/Search allows list create  but NOT PQ, as Old Map now does. 

Both would be pleasant. I assume list suits more users. 

I'd rather have PQ, as once I'm on the PQ form  for the caches I've selected in a map search, I can then munge my results through PQ filters, attributes, date placed, not found, has TB, size Unknown  ...

List cannot be further filtered on site. I can do it at home, in my own software, but it's more steps and more shifting about.

The option to PQ from the New Map would come real close to the oft requested search using  all available search parameters. 

Edited by palmetto

I have been very busy designing an indexing system using Excel for myself and a friend.  Our old way of doing this was to manually add links to all the caches in the series from the GC number to the webpage and from the cache title to the worksheet within our workbook.  Unfortunately, I was chosen as a guinea pig about halfway through my design stage and had a hissy fit for about 5 seconds ... Happily, I can access both the older style via my daughter's premium account and the new version via my own premmy account. SO I have now re-designed my workbook to handle both search results as their layouts are quite different ... they even differ depending upon which browser we use.

I personally really like the new version now that I have come to terms with it, but I do REALLY miss the distance from home section ... As we like to search for series of mystery caches far from home the new system basically has us pfaffing about moving the map at random until we spot a bunch of blue ? marks.  Please bring back the distance setting.

My other criticism of the new search method is the fact that it only lists up to 50 caches per "page."  For the majority of series this is sufficient, but there are a good number of series with anything up to 150 caches and having to copy & Paste 3 pages is a bit of a pain ... I'd be much happier if the "page" displayed more results at a time ... I'm probably in a minority on this topic so I'm not hopeful of seeing it changing, but I'd give it 11 out of 10 if these two issues were dealt with but 9.99 out of 10 for just the distance setting coming back.

5 hours ago, palmetto said:

New Map/Search allows list create  but NOT PQ, as Old Map now does. 

Both would be pleasant. I assume list suits more users. 

I'd rather have PQ, as once I'm on the PQ form  for the caches I've selected in a map search, I can then munge my results through PQ filters, attributes, date placed, not found, has TB, size Unknown  ...

List cannot be further filtered on site. I can do it at home, in my own software, but it's more steps and more shifting about.

The option to PQ from the New Map would come real close to the oft requested search using  all available search parameters. 

I've been lucky so far and haven't had to deal with this annoying new stuff.  Can you make a PQ from the list?  Can you manipulate the results in a PQ from a list?

26 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Can you make a PQ from the list?   

Sure, you can query any list (bookmark).

29 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

Can you manipulate the results in a PQ from a list? 

You can try that right now, make or look at list you already have, and create a PQ from it.

You'll see that the pq from a list has ONLY the days to run module, nothing else.

Whereas if you use Old (Current) map, and create a PQ from there, you'll have the complete PQ selection module for the group of caches you've selected. 

I have just received an email from the Official Blog about the Jasmer Challenge using the old new search / map.

I wondered if we could get the information as easily using the new map view. 

So I did a search and got a list of caches - but there isn't a date on the mini list on the left of the screen. The only way I can see is to go to each individual cache page and read the placed date. 

I know I can get the answer using other methods /apps but how should we be using the new search to find this information?

Hi all,

We had originally intended to deploy these updates at the conclusion of last week. I apologize for our delay.

This is what is included with today’s update:

• Premium Filters - We added the following filter options to the new map

• Premium and Basic

• Found and Not Found

• Owned and Not Owned

• Enabled and Disabled

KMUIuD2lXkY2-DFLJ5h2VAViYAjUFGR_JqtnpqtEG5hXdkWRoTZJFts6nT8InKdMsoZy5nSx_iW0oMLVsJONWvWYpjwXqwsSjRMOo7bvqBQzGYynGrK4mtXLa0KPAHBqu2mi5-1P

Cache status filtering options:

image?w=175&h=32&rev=6&ac=1&parent=1lyidokZ3Q3y2nj0vhW6re8KSC8mLTkcmh2nk2NRYeos

• Added the ability to opt-in to the new map from the old search results list page

• This allows testers who have chosen to opt out of the new map experience, and who at a later date want to experience it again to do so.  

• Look for the blue banner and select ‘GO TO NEW MAP’ to opt-in (or in some cases, opt back in) to the new map experience.

aJgRSxOg43fsqC9RcCAqPZ_xkEh_SZ14v_rY54to_FHRivkw0mXGnLY7W79lO4bxvQsf8M4pCbjg7ma6HmTDQE9v7IBQoTaXxrN4Pb7MxEEeFFUDKq7f1EckwQaNPBu-T_rfcM6B

Here’s what we are working on now, and will be deploying in the coming weeks:

• Lists - specifically the ability to map bookmarked lists

• Multi-select control from the list view on the map

• Search and Sort by Distance

Best,

Brendan

10 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

Added the ability to opt-in to the new map from the old search results list page

• This allows testers who have chosen to opt out of the new map experience, and who at a later date want to experience it again to do so.  

• Look for the blue banner and select ‘GO TO NEW MAP’ to opt-in (or in some cases, opt back in) to the new map experience.

Wait, ok, that is good, allowing people to use the new map. But, what about having the search results list and keeping the "new map" as the separate map view?  I think the primary issue was that while using the new map, there's no way to simply do a search and see the result list without seeing that list on the map.

Two separate pages - Search results as a list, and search results on the map.

If you opt in to the "new map", you lose the result list.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, brendanjw said:

This is what is included with today’s update

Well, I've tried it for 6 weeks and this is the first hint of an improvement. However, there are so many major features still missing,  eg a sortable list, a proper map, original speed of loading, before this new experience will become better for me.

• Upvote 1

The filter that limits to uncorrected coordinates is missing.  I use that filter in conjunction with series name or common words frequently when working on puzzles or geo-art puzzle trails.  I do like the simplicity of showing caches with only solved coordinates.

That said, I really don't see the need to force filters to the mapped version.  The resulting list after filters takes up too much space as well. The current search filter is still a better user layout.  

Keeping the filter list and the map separate is a better system in my opinion.

Edited by NDOkie
  • Upvote 2
On 10/17/2018 at 10:36 PM, brendanjw said:

Next up, we’ll be working on continuing to close the parity gap between old map and new, specifically bringing in Premium Filtering options. Following that, we’ll be focusing on lists and the ability to map lists.  Also looking at opening individual caches in new tabs.

PQs? That's what I'm using most of the time. Displaying them on the map and select from them. I don't have any need for this big descriptive page to the left especially as it's showing the "wrong" info as default. Don't care about the activity, would way more like to see the description as default, if at all. The top part with name, DT, FP and options is WAY too big. Same with the used font for the search field. This font even is bigger than the top menu options (at least looks like that!)...

Limiting the caches to 500 sucks. I don't understand which ones MIGHT be missing on the map. As far as I have seen now they could be somewhere so everytime my search gives me 500 caches I don't know if I might miss any cache in the actual view. Bad! I would like to see the closest 500 (ok, better way more!) to the center of the map. That way I at least don't miss any cache too easily.

Besides that I rarely ever use search at all. I have been setting up quite some PQs and like to view these on my map. OR I want to simply see ALL the caches in a region to plan my tours as I usually don't really care what type, DT or whatever a specific cache is. I do them all :)

So for me the old map works by far better than this new one. Sorry for that.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, brendanjw said:

Hi all,

We had originally intended to deploy these updates at the conclusion of last week. I apologize for our delay.

This is what is included with today’s update:

• Premium Filters - We added the following filter options to the new map

• Premium and Basic

• Found and Not Found

• Owned and Not Owned

• Enabled and Disabled

KMUIuD2lXkY2-DFLJ5h2VAViYAjUFGR_JqtnpqtEG5hXdkWRoTZJFts6nT8InKdMsoZy5nSx_iW0oMLVsJONWvWYpjwXqwsSjRMOo7bvqBQzGYynGrK4mtXLa0KPAHBqu2mi5-1P

Cache status filtering options:

image?w=175&h=32&rev=6&ac=1&parent=1lyidokZ3Q3y2nj0vhW6re8KSC8mLTkcmh2nk2NRYeos

• Added the ability to opt-in to the new map from the old search results list page

aJgRSxOg43fsqC9RcCAqPZ_xkEh_SZ14v_rY54to_FHRivkw0mXGnLY7W79lO4bxvQsf8M4pCbjg7ma6HmTDQE9v7IBQoTaXxrN4Pb7MxEEeFFUDKq7f1EckwQaNPBu-T_rfcM6B

Here’s what we are working on now, and will be deploying in the coming weeks:

• Lists - specifically the ability to map bookmarked lists

• Multi-select control from the list view on the map

• Search and Sort by Distance

Best,

Brendan

Hmm... Does it really work!? I checked "Premium" only and still have got all the Basic caches, too? Same the other way round with Basic. Still everything there in the results.

More inconsistencies with Enabled/Disabled. Why don't you show BOTH with nothing selected, but both when I only select Disabled? These filters don't work liked expected for the moment, I fear.

In addition I'd like to see "Events" being split up into the differents event types. Makes it way easier to use for the megas and such.

Is there a way to set the area on the map? When I open it up I see my home location zoomed in. The old way I had a 30 mile radius from my home. I know you can adjust the map but I'd like it to open to the same area each day. For example, I cache after work when I can. So when I adjust the map I set it to the area between my home and work and a few miles past each so I can see any new caches or new activity on caches I might like to find.

Initial thoughts after being given the opportunity to take part in the test:

1) Map view opens at too large a scale.

2) Inability to sort results by date last found (handy for lonely caches), Difficulty rating, Terrain rating, Distance. Yes, ok, you can see the distance on the map I suppose but the rest are handy.

3) The star icons for my hides have disappeared, instead replaced by the standard icons.

4) There is no obvious link to give feedback despite that being asked for.

5) There is no way to opt out of the trail and opt back in again later, so have to rely on memory to compare changes.

6) Having the results in a seperate table was helpful, so this seems a retrograde step in terms of the search.

7) I do like the incorporation of the Geocaching map.

8) The GC code is partially or completely hidden.

9) Cannot search within a specific radius of the location. This is just done by zooming the map, which then reduces the detail. Seperate pages for results and map meant that was not an issue.

Duncan

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone,

Posting a quick update here.  During yesterday's deployment we failed to update a dependent service, and as such the new Premium Filters were not working as designed.  This morning, we just updated the dependent service in question and now the filters are working as intended.  The team would like to issue are sincerest apologies for the delay and any frustration this may have caused.

Best,

Brendan

By chance, I happen to notice that disabled caches are only displayed if disabled is checked. I was assuming the default, with neither enabled or disabled checked, would show both, but as far as I can tell, I get the same results whenever disabled is clear regardless of whether enabled is checked.

Not a feature I care about, I just thought I'd point it out since the UI doesn't make it clear to me that that's what should happen.

Now that everyone has the option to opt in and out, I can take a look myself and try things out.

At first glance, I can't figure out what use-case this new combined map/search style is intended to fulfill. As a map view, it fails spectacularly because it only ever seems to show a maximum of 500 caches (seemingly randomly), even if no restricting filters have been set. The farther I zoom out, the more sparse the caches get (a smaller percentage of the caches is shown), so it's effectively useless for getting an overview of an area. As a search tool, it also fails spectacularly because the results of a search change if you move/zoom the map, very little information is shown in the result list, and many of the necessary sorting options aren't available. I sincerely hope that this is just a "first draft" to get a sense of whether this style would work for the members, and not a final product in beta-testing. It would require massive changes in the workflows of many if this actually went live in its current state and the old options were removed. Personally, it would significantly change my workflows, and not for the better. I can't figure out how I'd be able to browse around the map with this tool if so many of the caches may be hidden from view at any given time.

In addition to the above fundamental flaws, here are a number of more specific issues I noticed in no particular order (some of which have already been mentioned, but I want to reiterate them anyway):

• The "Cache status" filters don't all function in the same way. For example, with the Basic/Premium, Found/Not found, and Owned/Not owned pairs, having both unchecked displays results from both sets. However, with Enabled/Disabled, the disabled caches are only shown if Disabled is checked (and Enabled is consequently unchecked). It also isn't clear that these are actually functioning in more of a radio button style than multi-select check boxes, despite the use of check boxes. This one-or-the-other functionality needs to be clarified, and the effect of leaving both unchecked also needs to be clarified (e.g. that all are shown or that some are omitted).
  • In the result list, the GC codes are cut off.
  • In the map, many of the previously-available map layers are missing. Due to the lack of action on improving the Geocaching/Trail map style, it would be very nice to have other OSM-based maps available that can show more information and with fewer errors. With the old map, my first action on accessing it has always been to switch to OpenStreetMap Default, but that isn't available now.
  • The map controls (ie. layer chooser, zoom controls) are in the middle of the right side of the map. Usually these would be in a corner on a map like this.
  • There's no scale on the map.
  • When you click on a cache in the list or on the map, the search text field is filled with the GC code of that cache, and whatever had been entered in that field is lost. When doing a region search (ie. searching within a specified province/state), it still seems to keep this region in mind when changing other filters, but that value is no longer visible. This field shouldn't be changed automatically.
  • The "More info" arrow button is unintuitive. The site has historically set a precedent for making the cache name a hyperlink that points to the cache listing. That precedent isn't followed here, with a separate button now being used for this same purpose and the cache name becoming unclickable.
  • Clicking any link/button on the search/map that will navigate to a cache listing should open in a new tab.
  • Middle-clicking or Ctrl-clicking (typically to open a hyperlink in a new tab) should be possible from the list of search results to open the cache listing in a new tab without going into the details first. Currently, doing this only opens the cache details, and you then have to click on the More info button.
  • There's inconsistency in the way cache-specific details are presented. For example, in the list of search results, the cache type is represented by the standard cache type icon, and the FPs, D/T, and size are shown with small icons and text. Once you click on a specific cache, the cache type is now only represented in text, and the D/T and size are represented with filled-in scales and text.
  • When you click on a cache, the URL changes from one that includes the various applied filter options to one that only contains the selected GC code. As a result, if you click on the More info button to go to the cache listing and later browser-back to the map/search, the filters aren't available anymore. You can unintuitively get back to them by performing another browser-back to get out of the selected cache, but if you instead click the left-arrow beside the search field (seemingly the intended action), all previously-applied filters are lost.
  • There should be a way to apply changed filters without exiting the filter dialog. If I make a change and apply it, I then have to go back into the filter dialog (and often scroll) to make another change. If I want to see the effect of progressively changing a number of filters, this becomes very cumbersome.

In summary, as a first attempt at a new map, it leaves a lot to be desired. Hopefully you'll be able to use all the provided feedback to come up with one that better fits the needs of the members without removing so much functionality or negatively impacting the members' workflows.

Edited by The A-Team
  • Upvote 5
  • Love 2

Hi, my first impressions with the new map... when I look at the overall area my hides     are displayed more like unfound caches so I kept clicking on my own caches to see what needed to be found. Previous version it was clear which were my hides and I liked that an entire area looked like smiley faces. I tried the search basically hiding my finds but zoomed in an area and then out again and my hides were on the map again. I like the sense of finishing a section with full smile coverage. Thank you for allowing feedback!

Having just seen the blue banner inviting me to try it, here are my initial observations:

• In my immediate use case, which is creating a list of mystery caches in a particular geoart series that have solved coordinates, just setting up the filters initially gives me no results. I have to zoom out the map and hunt around for the caches until they come within scope. This is an extra step that wasn't needed before and runs the risk of missing some that fall off the edge of the map.
  • When creating a list, I can't just check the boxes on the caches I'm interested in and then add those in one hit; it seems the only options are to add all the caches or manually add them one at a time by clicking on the hamburger menu and going through the Add to List process.
  • The default sorting by FPs is of little use to me. High numbers of FPs just means the cache is in a tourist hot-spot whereas I'm more interested in those out-of-the-way caches that get few finds but a high percentage of FPs.
  • Conversely I can't sort the results by distance, difficulty or terrain, which are the sorting criteria I much more often use. Ordering by size could also be useful if I have a TB to drop off somewhere.
  • Having my own caches showing as unfound rather than owned is very annoying. The first glance "Hey there's some new caches for me to find!" is followed by the realisation that they're all mine.
  • Disabled caches aren't shown unless "Disabled" is checked, so having "Enabled" checked or unchecked makes no difference to the outcome.
  • I can't see a way to filter for caches that don't have corrected coordinates (i.e. unsolved mysteries). This option was available in the old search, why was it removed?
  • The map really needs to have a scale to be useful, particularly with caches that involve some hiking.
  • The filter option to specify a geographic region (previously state or country) is no longer available. This was something I used quite often and, for challenge caches, could have been further improved by adding Counties; instead it's gone altogether. Most such geographic regions aren't rectangular so using the map to restrict the search doesn't quite cut it.
  • What would be really nice for me would be to include attributes in the filters as this would go a long way towards unifying the Search and PQ filter options.
  • It would be more responsive and intuitive if selecting/deselecting filter options immediately updated the map, rather than having to click Done, look at the result, then click on Filter again to make further changes. The way it works now just feels clunky.
Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1

Most of the comments I have on the new maps have already been made, but the biggest issue I have is that the ability to change to the leaflet maps is gone.  None of the maps offered allow to see county borders which is a big negative for me as I do a lot of county based caching and challenges.  

• Upvote 1

for me  this  has made it  near impossible to play....being only  14  miles from Canada...I cant seem to find a way to not  show canadian  caches atm...I try sliding the map....but then half  the map is covered with the slide out and  you cant see if something under there is highlighted...I have to go back to old  map...this is  first on my list of  first impressions...ill give the  others a chance before I whine on....it says I cant  give  feedback if I do  so I hope  you see  this

4 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Groundspeak: perfect time to fix the nomenclature!

Those were never "Leaflet" maps.  Never ever.  It's almost as silly as calling them "110V" maps, because that's what the servers at GCHQ use.

Whatever you want to call them. There are many of us who used them and will have to find something else.   I think this change will cost me  $24 a year -- for a Project GC membership.

• Upvote 1

Not certain about this map.

Every time I access the map, it is defaulting to terrain, and I must change it to road.

It is also defaulting to an area less than half a mile about my house, and I must zoom out to see caches .4 miles from my location.

I also miss the ease of the old 'Placed On' and 'Found on' options.

Played with the new look some more.

Sometimes you WANT the old list/sort style. That seems to be a no go with the new version.

Take away: while this might be decent if traveling (it is a LOT like the app), for accessing caches around one's home area this is a no go..

On my computer, I expect more options than the phone app. Please stop trying to limit my options and my fun geocaching.

Edited by wagtag15
Added to comments

I noticed this new behaviour only yesterday or today. Haven't been able to read all the replies yet so some of what I found may already be covered.

A few first impressions:

-owned caches show up with regular icons, I like the old star icon from the previous version

-when clicking on More Info then going back again, the map zooms in to the current area of that cache selected, not the previous view I had a moment before

-there is less space in the filter window which makes it more inconvenient in my opinion

-why does it have to default to map view, sometimes I want to look for a cache by name or distance from home, or by favourite points or any other number of ways, it doesn't seem as friendly now

-I didn't think there was anything wrong the old search.

I'll watch this thread but for now I'm going back to the old search.

• Upvote 2

Another comment:

I reverted to the old search. One click on filters, type "Christmas", choose caches I've found, click update search and I have all (including archived) caches with that keyword in the name. This was not possible from what i could see on the new search.

This is a feature I used often to help checked qualifications for challenge caches or just plain interest sake.

One thing I've just noticed is that, in the cache summary in the left panel that appears when you click on a cache on the map, the attributes aren't shown anywhere, even when you expand the Description and Hint section. The only way to see them is to open the full cache page. Some of the attributes carry important safety and access information so this is a worrying thing, as clearly with the Add to List, Download GPX and Send to Garmin buttons, you're encouraging people to just load the cache and go from that panel without ever looking at the full cache page.

CacheSummary.png.9e9e8d26b2f2539b56784be374b0f58f.png

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1

County lines, please.  I'll be opting out until you have features like "Esri street map."  It also had some local landmarks id'd, such as "Walmart" or "Hilton" or neighborhood names, even some mountains, oh, and rivers and lakes.

But I'm sticking long enough to try the Garmin interface.  Need the Garmin interface.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, jasenjanine said:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a way to opt out of this new map/search...  Cant believe I have logged on tonight to see the my usual search list gone????   

Please help!  Looking to search unfound caches, not look at a map :(

I had a little trouble finding it myself, but there is a way to opt out.

In the upper right corner of the new map, click on "What's this?" and then "Learn more." In section 1.8, at the end of the third paragraph, there's a link to opt out.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, wagtag15 said:

Every time I access the map, it is defaulting to terrain, and I must change it to road.

It is also defaulting to an area less than half a mile about my house, and I must zoom out to see caches .4 miles from my location.

I also miss the ease of the old 'Placed On' and 'Found on' options.

+1

This map is jam-packed with bugs! Is this still an entirely unfinished product? Here are some of the bigger bugs I see immediately:

The caches are no longer sorted by distance, and their distance is not shown in the list.

The cache number is truncated in IE11 and Chrome, even with the browser window at full screen and the zoom at 100% (normal view).  See screenshot below.

The pin for “Home Location” was somehow moved to 8 miles south of my home location, so I put it back.

“Current Location” is at this place two miles west of my actual current location, I guess based on a different IP Address location service than the old one?

The page opens with the map zoomed in so that maybe just one cache is in view. It always opens with no map selected.

The list now doesn't show “Placed On” nor “Last Found”. I have to dig for the information. I can quickly show the date of the “Last Log” but not what type the log was. When “Last Log” (date) is on view, the window is showing “Activity”, such as the actual last log also showing that date. You've wiped out the useful dates in preference of displaying “Last Log” twice on one screen. Was "Last Log" a popularly requested feature?

newsearchUntitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1

Another thing I've noticed is that the cache information panel that appears when clicking on a cache in the map or the list doesn't show who the CO is. Some COs have reputations for very good (or perhaps very bad) caches and it'd be nice to be able to see who's responsible for the one I'm looking at. Also fair's fair, you're showing all the other details in that panel (apart from the attributes) and all the logs so at least give the CO some credit for creating it.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Windstorm+ said:

I had a little trouble finding it myself, but there is a way to opt out.

In the upper right corner of the new map, click on "What's this?" and then "Learn more." In section 1.8, at the end of the third paragraph, there's a link to opt out.

Thank you Windstorrm... You've saved the day :)

• Upvote 1

Having given this new search a few weeks I’m going back to the old version.

ive tried it, I find it very limiting, the search options aren’t as good as they were

The filters aren’t as wide as they were

There are more clicks needed to find a cache you know you want

Its almost impossible to find a cache you know is there but don’t know the full details fir

There is no option to switch between the new and the old version

I’m out

• Upvote 1

I was trying out the new maps. I tried to search for caches in an area and to apply a filter so that I was not shown the caches I've already found. This is useful and easy to do in the old maps ... which work fine for me, by the way. I was not able to do this. The only place I could see to do this was by entering my caching name in the "Not Found By" box. I did that and the search still showed caches found by me. 

• Love 1