You know why I like cachly??

humboldt flier

It also allows you to log a real "Needs Maintenance log" from the field. Instead of the pre-generated "This cacher has reported a problem with this cache." line. I can go in and write an actual USEFUL log such as:

"This cache container has been found by a local scavenger; claw marks have pierced the container, log is saturated with water and mold is growing inside. This cache needs some TLC by the CO immediately."

Cachly also makes inputting field coordinates exceedingly easy which is awesome when working a multi in the field. 

• Upvote 2

I tried to like Cachly.   It just didn't click with me.  There were things like the color scheme that i did not like (earthcaches should have brown pins) and substantive things that I use in Geosphere that Cachly did not support.   So I kept my iPhone 6 on iOS 10 to run Geosphere for as long as I can. 

I have looking4cache on the iPhone as well but have a rugged Android with apps that meet my needs almost as well as Geosphere - Locus in particular. I find myself using that more often and turning to that on my current trip. 

Edited by geodarts
11 minutes ago, GEO COWBOYS said:

Tried to find Cachly in the app store. Is there someplace else i need to look?

It is an iPhone App.  Not Android.

But if you're using an iPad, and especially for Geocaching Apps in the App store, select "iPhone Only" when doing a search, if it defaults to "iPad Only".  Cachly comes up anyway, but not the Official App, unless you search for "iPhone Apps".

Edited by kunarion

You don't want to use that X:Xxx app, or even mention it in these forums.  It doesn't play nice with Groundspeak's servers; the other apps do and are considered "partners".

[This was in response to a post that has since - predictably - gone poof and vanished.]

For Android, look at Locus Map (free or pro).  A powerhouse app, with all the caching features I've ever needed.  Locus is Android-only, Cachly is iOS-only.  My iOS friends swear by Cachly, and I've made enthusiastic converts to Locus on the other side of the wall.

I was going to link to the partner-apps list, but suddenly it seems to not work.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Clarify: apropos of something
1 minute ago, TriciaG said:

Only for you, not for everyone. It logs into your website account and pulls info from the website, so it can pull your unpublished caches. But no one else sees them, just as they cannot see them on the website.

Whew. Thank you. That had me worried that everyone can see it and be rushing toward the location.

2 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

You don't want to use that X:Xxx app, or even mention it in these forums.  It doesn't play nice with Groundspeak's servers; the other apps do and are considered "partners".

For Android, look at Locus Map (free or pro).  A powerhouse app, with all the caching features I've ever needed.

I was going to link to the partner-apps list, but suddenly it seems to not work.

Thank you for the warning. I will check out Locus Map. 

Unable to use it on my 'droid phone and tab.  c:geo is OK, except I have to remember to have wi-fi turned off if I have it fired up, otherwise it caches everything for three days (uninstall, re-install cleared it) which is a pain if all you want for puzzle caches is those you qualify for (challenges) or have solved and include in a Solved Puzzles list PQ.  Managing what I'm after is very important to me.  Manage it against my will and I become unhappy.

I've got Locus Pro on the tab and it's the absolute awesomes with USGS scanned maps.  I have the western states as one big continuous map (7.5 GB of memory tied up) and it's great.  Love drawing routes on it, too.

Haven't tried to work out logging with either,  I tend to do that on the desktop when I get home and have all my pics and notes handy.

17 minutes ago, DragonsWest said:

I've got Locus Pro on the tab and it's the absolute awesomes with USGS scanned maps.  I have the western states as one big continuous map (7.5 GB of memory tied up) and it's great.  Love drawing routes on it, too.

<aside>

Have you checked out the offline vector maps, either Locus' own offering or from openandromaps.org?  That gives OSM goodness (trails etc.) in a smaller package, with topo contours as well.  Add slope shading and you're all set.  Note that you can fine-tune the appearance of those maps with various themes.  It's another option, and something of a rabbit hole.  :)

</aside>

Edited by Viajero Perdido
5 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

<aside>

Have you checked out the offline vector maps, either Locus' own offering or from openandromaps.org?  That gives OSM goodness (trails etc.) in a smaller package, with topo contours as well.  Add slope shading and you're all set.  Note that you can fine-tune the appearance of those maps with various themes.  It's another option, and something of a rabbit hole.  :)

</aside>

OSM got me into trouble back in November.  It had a lot of trails, until it really, really mattered.  Then it didn't.  I went down a bad trail, tried to turn around, got stuck and spent the night in my Jeep at 7,000+ feet.  I learned something about maps - get some which have all the trails, not just some.  USGS scanned maps are very, very complete for the places I go.  I have OSM on there, too, but they are mostly for navigating cities.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:19 AM, STNolan said:

It also allows you to log a real "Needs Maintenance log" from the field. Instead of the pre-generated "This cacher has reported a problem with this cache." line. I can go in and write an actual USEFUL log such as:

"This cache container has been found by a local scavenger; claw marks have pierced the container, log is saturated with water and mold is growing inside. This cache needs some TLC by the CO immediately."

I'm not an Apple user, but the app I use has this VERY useful feature as well.  It's a shame this isn't possible in either the official app OR even on the website (without editing the log).

On 9/18/2018 at 11:56 AM, J Grouchy said:
On 9/15/2018 at 8:19 AM, STNolan said:

I'm not an Apple user, but the app I use has this VERY useful feature as well.  It's a shame this isn't possible in either the official app OR even on the website (without editing the log). 

Huh? I had to go check the official app to make sure this didn't go away, as I use it when I want to log an NM and add my own text.  You can write your own NM/NA logs using the official app by selecting "Report a problem with this geocache" at the bottom of the cache details screen, then choose maintenance or archive, and then you get a screen to write your text. No canned NM/NA logs in the official app, yet.

On 9/18/2018 at 11:56 AM, J Grouchy said:

OR even on the website (without editing the log). 

And on the website, you can Opt Out of the new logging experience to use the regular NM/NA logs, where you write your own text.  You have to log by clicking on Log Geocache on the cache page though, not via Drafts.