McMenamin's Rock Creek Tavern

dasein

Actually.. It's not the same one that used to belong to my high school history teacher...

But it is kind of a bummer. We've had a couple of gatherings there... I enjoyed dinner and drinks with a few folks there on the day of my 1 year geo-anniversary. Also, the very first Portland area get-together hosted by Makaio was there.

I know some folks hate McMenamins, some folks love them, and some do both....

Myself.. I enjoy them a lot. And I think it's sad what happened to this historic building.

-fractal

http://www.mcmenamins.com/Pubs/Rock/index.html

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_0930_news_mcmenamins_fire.71f2713a.html

All McMenamin's and I have shared a love-hate relationship ever since i learned how to print out a fake ID, including Rock Creek. I'll never forget the look on the relatively attractive blonde waitresses face after i asked for a Mirror Pond. 'Uh, this is a McMENAMIN'S,' she said, codescendingly. We all loved her after that.

As a reverend, i think i should say something, so here goes:

Everything decays

Forest tumbles down to make the soil

Planets fall apart

Just to feed the stars

and stuff their larders

And everything decays

Pyramids and palaces to dust

Empires crumble in

Wedding cake begins

to must and moulder

Maypole, round goes the wheel

if the pot won't hold our love

We'll build one bigger all around.

-XTC icon_biggrin.gif

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

All McMenamin's and I have shared a love-hate relationship ever since i learned how to print out a fake ID, including Rock Creek. I'll never forget the look on the relatively attractive blonde waitresses face after i asked for a Mirror Pond. 'Uh, this is a McMENAMIN'S,' she said, codescendingly. We all loved her after that.

As a reverend, i think i should say something, so here goes:

Everything decays

Forest tumbles down to make the soil

Planets fall apart

Just to feed the stars

and stuff their larders

And everything decays

Pyramids and palaces to dust

Empires crumble in

Wedding cake begins

to must and moulder

if the pot won't hold our love

We'll build one bigger all around.

-XTC icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

Can someone please tell the rest of us that have never been there, what was or is so special about this place. Someone said that you love it or hate it. why ?

Here in the Pacific Northwest, we don't really drink a lot of coors and budweiser. Instead, we drink beer from microbreweries and brewpubs. I think there are 8 brewpubs and 1 microbrewery within 15 blocks of my apartment, for example. In 1983 or thereabouts, Mike McMenamin and his brother started brewing beer and purchasing dilapidated historic properties in the portland area, then converting them to relatively charming and somewhat jerry-meets-merriweatheresque restaurant/pubs. Nowadays, i'd say there's probably 75 McMenamin's pubs between roseburg, OR and seattle, WA--ranging from converted train stations to turn of the century poor farms to little pubs in strip malls wedged between the payless shoesource and the home depot. One of the more interesting buildings from long ago that was converted to a brewpub was the rock creek tavern, seen in the link above in fractal's post. Popular with everyone from aging hippies to new-age hippies, from bikers to beamers, from loggers to, um, hippies, and from aliens to geocachers, the rock creek made up for its lack of good service and quality food with its historical value, unique rural location, and sharp-tongued waitresses.

As for your second question: everyone i know loved that place, including me. i love almost everything about their pubs and breweries, including the one across the street from me. i also hate all of them. but it's not the kind of hate like you'd have for something like taxes or people that post unnecessarily long responses in the forums. It's more like the hate reserved for your family, a significant other, or perhaps your pet kitten. You hate them for the same reasons you love them.

Wow. I just heard about it this evening. I'd only been to the place once and that was the first PDX get together last year. it was the first time I'd met many of the more active cachers at the time, all of whom had as much character as the tavern itself. That was also the beginning of the Golden Spike era. I'll always have fond memories of that place, especially because of the folks I shared them with.

On a brighter note, an interview with on of the McMennamin brothers revealed they've already instructed local architects to locate and review historic blueprints of the building as they plan to rebuild. Granted they can't replace the history the building had, but they can replace a great spot for meeting friends and enjoying each others company.

-

Glad to hear that they will rebuild it! We should have an event cache there after it re-opens...

On another note... I've heard rumor that McMenamin's might open up a spot at the Hillsboro airport. Since it's pretty close to the Max line, that could be a future gathering point for the various week-night/day crews. icon_smile.gif

-fractal

Glad to hear that they will rebuild it! We should have an event cache there after it re-opens...

On another note... I've heard rumor that McMenamin's might open up a spot at the Hillsboro airport. Since it's pretty close to the Max line, that could be a future gathering point for the various week-night/day crews. icon_smile.gif

-fractal

quote:
Originally posted by manuelcasi:

or coors?

actually, that is one of the brews that was served up at rock creek. their non-mc minnamins beers were limited to coors lite and raineer. however, despite their lack of pbr, rock creek was my favorite mc minnamin's i've visited. i loved their porch and the moss on the roof. i sure do hope they'll replace that when they rebuild.

I chose LaurenCat because LaurenKittenPoniesFlowersPinkSunshineFairyMeowMeowRainbowHeartLoveBunnyKissKiss was just too F-ing long.

I'd been there twice, and you know what? I didn't have any beer either time... weird.

I truely know of no better place to get white wine with your corn dog. Free cases of Heineken, too. However, that may have been a fluke.

Now I'll need to find a new, off the beaten path, favorite McMennamins, where I won't drink the beer.