New profile shows user info for people without account

terratin

I'm not sure this has been tested properly. I just posted the link to an old geocache log on Facebook and checked in a different browser I'm not logged in with first if people can see this. Yep. No problem. Then I got curious and clicked on my user name. Also as expected I got the message

Profile for User: terratin

Sorry, you must first log in to view this profile.

But I could also click to view the new profile page, and there my profile picture showed up, place I live and some additional information. I'm not really happy about that to be honest as this allows people to combine my caching name with photo and place I live. Not going into personal details here, but I'm far from happy about this. Is this an oversight?

I'm seeing it.  I'll demonstrate using my favorite sock puppet (more of an anti-sock-puppet, but I digress).  (Not mine, of course.  No one could ever guess mine in a million billion years.)

Following this link to the old Captain Clorox profile view, I get no info - as per first screen capture.

Capture.JPG

Clicking the "new public profile" blue box takes me to this profile view, I then get photo, etc., just as terratin describes, see second screen capture.

Capture.JPG

Edited by hzoi
changing screen caps for privacy
6 hours ago, hzoi said:

I'm seeing it.  I'll demonstrate using my favorite sock puppet (more of an anti-sock-puppet, but I digress).  (Not mine, of course.  No one could ever guess mine in a million billion years.)

Following this link to the old Captain Clorox profile view, I get no info - as per first screen capture.

Capture.JPG

Clicking the "new public profile" blue box takes me to this profile view, I then get photo, etc., just as terratin describes, see second screen capture.

Capture.JPG

Thank you for posting the streencaps. In my case people can see how many caches I found, but also what kind of membership I have and where I live. Of course I can delete the location from my profile and use a profile pic that does not show me. But honestly, I always thought my personal information would not show up to people that are not members.

32 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

While it's good to point out the difference in behaviour between the old and new forms of the page, is it really a problem? After all, it would be trivial for someone to create an account and then be able to see that information anyway.

I think it is as we were always told that profile information is private unless someone has an account. You can google for someone's caching name and a geocache. You still don't get to see  their profile pic or find out more about them unless you read all their logs. But generally, single logs don't show up in search engines either. I only uploaded a pic showing myself under these premises.

Edited by terratin