Souvenir

stotelwolf

1 hour ago, stotelwolf said:

Hello, I found 13 caches in Mongolia. But no souvenir received.

If you mean you haven're received a country souvenir for Mongolia, that's because at present there is no country souvenir for Mongolia.  Here is the current list.  If one is introduced, you should be retroactively awarded.

(You don't have one for Nepal or Cyprus, either, for the same reason.)

If you mean another souvenir, such as the current souvenir promotion, you may want to contact the Help Center.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, stotelwolf said:

What is the problem to create or install a country souvenier ?

Artwork is their own. I'm not sure  "install" is even an issue, it's probably more on the "create" end.  

A little design or flaw here might be regarded  as offensive in other areas of the world. 

IIRC,    cachers in one country were upset to find that someone in their own country didn't do the art.  They said they were told that the site wants their own artists, so no one is "hiding" things within the art.

I guess a lot more goes into it  than we realize before approval & release.    :)

Is there any way for us to let the website know that we are interesting in having souvenirs for additional regions? For example, there are souvenirs for each of the Canadian provinces and Canada itself, and yet the UK only has the UK. I'd love to see at least one for each of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales! As well as a souvenir for every country that has a geocache in it (I am only missing Dominican Republic, but of course there are a lot of countries that don't have a souvenir but do have geocaches)

7 hours ago, Calypsee said:

Is there any way for us to let the website know that we are interesting in having souvenirs for additional regions? For example, there are souvenirs for each of the Canadian provinces and Canada itself, and yet the UK only has the UK. I'd love to see at least one for each of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales! As well as a souvenir for every country that has a geocache in it (I am only missing Dominican Republic, but of course there are a lot of countries that don't have a souvenir but do have geocaches)

Even the USA doesn't have a country souvenir. ?

We have all our states, though! 

6 hours ago, Calypsee said:

They're well aware that folks want souvenirs available for all countries. They've been releasing five new ones each December for the last few years, with the occasional other one during the year. Hopefully they'll pick up that pace at some point in the future, or it will take decades for them to get them all done.

As for the UK, it's a bit trickier because the website doesn't use single regions to represent England, Scotland, or Wales. Each is split up into arbitrary sub-divisions, so the souvenir system would have to be able to handle awarding the same souvenir for multiple regions. We don't know if it's currently capable of doing this or if it would need to be modified. As for Northern Ireland, TPTB have historically treated the entire island as "Ireland" (read more here). In fact, there's already a souvenir for finding a cache in Northern Ireland, albeit named "Ulster".

On 9/27/2018 at 4:52 PM, The A-Team said:
On 9/27/2018 at 9:41 AM, Calypsee said:

They're well aware that folks want souvenirs available for all countries. They've been releasing five new ones each December for the last few years, with the occasional other one during the year. Hopefully they'll pick up that pace at some point in the future, or it will take decades for them to get them all done.

This might be a good place to post a link to your "Unreleased Souvenirs" page.

I just checked and there are 8 countries in which I've found a cache which do not have a souvenir available.  Hopefully they can put more resources, or hire a 3rd party to work on releasing new regions based souvenirs.

8 hours ago, Rickismom said:

Some countries have GENERAL  and province! In Israel (a very active GC community and lots of tourists we are still waiting.  GC headquarters, you can do better than that.

Israel is one country where HQ will need to be extremely careful when designing a souvenir (as well as Palestine). For example, the Dome of the Rock is probably the most recognized Israeli landmark worldwide, but there's of course the well-known dispute over that area that could lead to tensions. Great care would need to be taken in order to avoid using elements that are contentious.

13 hours ago, The A-Team said:

Israel is one country where HQ will need to be extremely careful when designing a souvenir (as well as Palestine). For example, the Dome of the Rock is probably the most recognized Israeli landmark worldwide, but there's of course the well-known dispute over that area that could lead to tensions. Great care would need to be taken in order to avoid using elements that are contentious.

I just noticed that if you do a search using the new maps for Palestine -- regional search you don't get any results, and the map centers (for me) in the U.S.   Moving the map, then clicking on Search this area also doesn't return any results (when the map is centered in the U.S.)