Cache Icons disappear when Zooming

trekkerdmc

Using Windows 10 O/S. When viewing the geocaching map on geocaching.com site, the cache icons disappear at times when you are zooming in and/or out. I've noticed this problem some months back and the problem seemingly was fixed and now it's back to doing this again. 

It can happen when you are zooming in or out. It's frustrating because you have to keep futzing with the zoom level. Was wondering if this was going to be an ongoing issue again or if there have been other reports of this? 

I see this happening more lately.  I'm using Google maps, the geocaching.com website in the Chrome browser, Windows 10 on my HP laptop.  Screenshots attached - the icons DO come back if I zoom up or down a level and then back, which is what you see in the 2 screenshots.  It seems to be just a few tiles in the viewing area that glitch, as there are some icons, and some partial icons.  Zooming up a level and then down again brings them back.  Moving around the screen makes no difference (I tried that first, which is why the two screens are not exactly identical).  After scrolling around I tried the zoom in and out and that worked, so I took a screenshot again after the icons appeared.

Mapicons_gone.thumb.png.a1f5daab2961c454fe00f1cc910889b8.pngMapicons_present.thumb.png.eadb650e96f9c18305d06b3ff2656ebf.png

Edited by CAVinoGal
9 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I see this happening more lately.  I'm using Google maps, the geocaching.com website in the Chrome browser, Windows 10 on my HP laptop.  Screenshots attached - the icons DO come back if I zoom up or down a level and then back, which is what you see in the 2 screenshots.  It seems to be just a few tiles in the viewing area that glitch, as there are some icons, and some partial icons.  Zooming up a level and then down again brings them back.  Moving around the screen makes no difference (I tried that first, which is why the two screens are not exactly identical).  After scrolling around I tried the zoom in and out and that worked, so I took a screenshot again after the icons appeared.

Mapicons_gone.thumb.png.a1f5daab2961c454fe00f1cc910889b8.pngMapicons_present.thumb.png.eadb650e96f9c18305d06b3ff2656ebf.png

Yes, I am experiencing this as well on my Mac computer with Safari and Google maps, exactly as described here -- completely different area.

• Upvote 1

In response to Hzoi and the A Team. It happens all the time whenever I'm on the geocaching website which looks to me like google maps. The area doesn't seem to matter. I could be anywhere. As CAVinoGal mentioned, sometimes they just partially disappear. Sometimes they all disappear. I am using Chrome as the browser. As I mentioned before, this was an issue awhile back and it seems as though it was fixed but now back again.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:38 AM, trekkerdmc said:

sometimes they just partially disappear. Sometimes they all disappear.

It matters what you mean by "partially disappear."

If there should be a spread of geocaches on the map and there are instead square-shaped areas where no caches are displayed, like so, then it sounds like the map tiles are not loading correctly.  (Notice the six cache icons on the top and side edges of the rectangular blank spot that are only partially displayed.)  I've seen this myself, especially at work, where my interwebs can be throttled at times.

Mapicons_gone.thumb.png.a1f5daab2961c454

If there should be a spread of caches in a given area but only some are showing up, and it's sporadic (there are no obvious square-shaped gaps, but some lesser percentage of geocaches shows up on the map than should be showing, like every other cache is missing), then it may be some other issue unrelated to the map tiles, perhaps with filters.  I have not seen this.

I see this also using the Edge browser on Windows 10. It happens constantly. It only happens with Google maps (both map and satellite view), never with Leaflet. Whole sections of icons disappear after zooming in or out or after grabbing and dragging the map, then reappear after another zoom in or out or grab and drag. This happens whether zooming with my mouse wheel or with the onscreen + and - buttons. The area affected can be different sizes, but how large or small the area is is difficult to determine since, of course, caches are randomly distributed.

Note that this does not happen every time I zoom in or out, or every time I grab and drag the map, but it does happen frequently.

It's quite frustrating because I am never sure if I'm really seeing all the caches. I have to keep zooming in and out until I'm confident all are being displayed. I look forward to this being fixed.

Edited by LaffinGravy
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, rustynails. said:

I brought it up in the past but they continue to ignore it.

You refused to provide information when requested, which prevented others from being able to replicate your issue. I wouldn't say that it was being ignored, but rather that it wasn't clear if there was really a problem for more than one member. Some other members have provided screenshots and other useful data-points in this discussion, so maybe TPTB will be able to track down the issue.

That being said, a new map is already being developed, so this all may become moot.

• Upvote 2

I'll add my voice as well. I'm on a PC running Windows 8.1 and use Firefox.  It doesn't happen all the time but at some zoom level, the icons for caches do disappear.  I just tweak the zoom in or out a bit and they all appear again.  I also just had the weird experience when looking at the geocaching map that all the cache icons were there, but all the map detail was gone... just blank-gray.