Inconsistency use of Ireland.

Pohka

I’ve been caching in Ireland; Ireland the country and also Northern Ireland.  Geocaching calls the caches in Northern Ireland ireland but doesn’t show that when you look at the map.  If you’re calling the island the country you should color the entire area.  If you’re not going to color the entire island then break it into two.  Please, consistency.  

Btw, if I cache in England does it only display on the map England coloring in (and Wales and Scotland) or does it color the entire island? 

3 hours ago, Pohka said:

I’ve been caching in Ireland; Ireland the country and also Northern Ireland.  Geocaching calls the caches in Northern Ireland ireland but doesn’t show that when you look at the map.  If you’re calling the island the country you should color the entire area.  If you’re not going to color the entire island then break it into two.  Please, consistency.  

Btw, if I cache in England does it only display on the map England coloring in (and Wales and Scotland) or does it color the entire island? 

A confusing and frustrating issue!

4 hours ago, hzoi said:

See my two posts here for the history behind this and Groundspeak's official position on Ireland.

I also posted in that thread and noted that one of the issues is that the Geocaching list of countries/territories (which dictates which country name is shown on the listing and also is used for indicating which countries in which one has found a cache) is not the same list that is used for map boundaries shown on the stats page.  For example, the GS list of countries has an ID for Serbia which the region that is distinctly shown on some base maps as Kosovo.  As a result, when viewing a map even if someone has found a cache in Kosovo, the GS data will characterize it as Serbia and the map page will show a "hole" in the map.