Victoria Cache Machine

travisl

U make my point exactly Pepper. Those that don't like VCM's don't need to participate. Those that participate in VCM's are playing the game their way, and that is fine with me also. The point I was trying to make is that there is some opposition to VCM's because it is a quick way to up cache scores. I have no problem with VCM's, because the point I was trying to make is that scores aren't important to me. Quality caches are! VCM's are a chance to meet people, and enjoy an adventure, i.e. Quality. If a person is going to a VCM just to up their cache count and ignore the rest, then they are missing out on a lot of the geocaching experience. They would probably do a lot better working on their bowling scores, with less effort.

I think the important thing to remember here is that the VCM is about finding a lot of caches, but more importantly, about meeting other cachers and getting the benefit of that experience. Some people are loners, and some are much more gregarious, so that a Cache Machine suits them much more readily.

The above was a very wishy washy lead in to asking a favour of all who will be attending.

In my possesion is

Tonto's Fox

Tonto is meant to travel to event caches, and then go to the person who travelled the furthest to get there. Could those attending enter the VCM coords in their GPSr, then measure distance from their home to the VCM? The Travel Bug would then go to the furthest cacher(s) from home, unless they would rather it go to the next person.

Please email me from my profile above with distances. We have seen Tonto at other events near here, and are eager to see him off to another country, or province.

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

I compiled this list for my own use, based on messages on the cache page and this thread, but as of right now, here's my guess at a list of the 38 people who have at least hinted that they'd be coming:

GEM's

CacheRunner

MedicOne

Slinger91

SuperGenius (2)

Moun10Bike

CachinCin

BlankJeff

MarinerBC

Zaboomafoo33

LucyAndRickie (2)

TravisL

The1Nub (2)

CacheWidow

MarkZilla

Wienerdog (2)

Quayside

Grandpa Rocks

Lumbo-Tire

Sar&Crew7062 (2)

No Trace

George501949

Balloonatic (3)

LadyStevenson

Moun10Goat

PDXMarathonMan

EvergreenHiker

WallieDawg

GeonutDan

Oregone

Nomad Raven

I suspect that one of the Alberta cachers (Balloonatic's group), Oregon cachers (Grandpa Rocks, Oregone, or Slinger91), or Idaho cachers (LadyStevenson or Moun10goat) will get Tonto's Fox, and not anyone from Washington or British Columbia.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Come to think of it, posting the distances in this thread might be more fun, as well as more public.

I will be attending. My distance is 1.8 miles. Hey, go ahead and laugh, but so far I'm second to PdxMarathonMan. If he doesn't want it, it's all mine so far. icon_biggrin.gif

54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

I'm at 99.4 miles, according to my ''nearest caches'' page. It just barely squeaks in on my ''within 100 miles'' results, as number 1462 of 1484.

Amusingly, among the 22 that are further away are two caches I got with the Yakima Cache Machine: ''Copycat #3'' and ''Let the chips fall where they will'', at 99.5 and 99.8 miles, respectively. The last one on the list, at 100 miles exactly, is also the only Oregon cache on my 100 mile list, ''Where the Road Ends''.

Dang. With this information, someone might be able to pinpoint my driveway icon_eek.gif

WWJD? JW RTFM.

Let's see. The sum of the square of the opposite sides equals the hypotenuse of the square of the distance between Mt Hood, and Pioneer Square. Of course, since Pi are not Square, but Pi are round, this brings us to the Yakima Cache Machine, used as a baseline for comparative puroposes only. This takes into account lack of Selective Availability, Ionospheric Interference, and The fact that TravisL does NOT use a Garmin. Ok, I have it. His driveway is in Hawaiii.

quote:

Dang. With this information, someone might be able to pinpoint my driveway icon_eek.gif

Travis!

Whoo whee! Now I know where you live. The next time us girls plan a caching day (me Donna, Lucy, CachinCin and Pepper) we will be sure and stop by for a visit. We usually quit about dinner time. What do you girls like? I think BBQ chicken would be good, potato salad and ohhh, some nice corn-on-the-cobb.

We will send you a menu soon! icon_biggrin.gif

PS We will stop and get the dessert!

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I must be afraid of ferries or something.

Does that mean you still have a bag of your baby teeth somewhere?

Oh, FERRIES. Nevermind.

icon_wink.gif

- Seth!

(The Clipper is fun and can put you up there in a couple of hours. It hardly ever sinks.)

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I must be afraid of ferries or something.

Does that mean you still have a bag of your baby teeth somewhere?

Oh, FERRIES. Nevermind.

icon_wink.gif

- Seth!

(The Clipper is fun and can put you up there in a couple of hours. It hardly ever sinks.)

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Maybe just maybe I should add a life vest to caching gear!

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

We have done the Clipper- Empress Hotel thing for 3 years in a row in mid November. All 3 times they have put us in a bus and sent us back on the Big ferry and bused us to seattle. But then the 50% off coupons keep us comming back! icon_wink.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

Originally quoted by Ish-n-Isha

quote:
All 3 times they have put us in a bus and sent us back on the Big ferry and bused us to seattle.

It is, of course, a plot, to force you onto the BC Ferries, and make you order the infamous "Sunshine Breakfast", now banned throughout the civilized world. They really wanted to get rid of those eggs that showed up at Swartz bay, when the ferry system first started operating in 1960.

A question for the locals around the lower Puget Sound area.

When approaching from well south of Olympia which is the better route to Port Angeles off of I-5?

1) turn off I-5 at Olympia and follow 101

2) proceed to Tacoma to I-705 and then state hwy 104 to 101

Mapquest thinks its 2:50 from the Olympia turn off or about 2:26 from up north at the Tacoma turn off.

Suggestions?

I always had better luck on I-705 when coming to Port Angeles from Kent. Takes about 2 hrs 10, as I recall. Bear in mind that that was with my ex screamimg at me to slow down below 40, as anything faster is TOO dangerous. ( Yes, she's from Victoria. Does it show?)

Your best bet is to get on 101 N just west of Olympia. Beautiful winding drive along the Hood Canal from Potlatch to Quilcene.

Going through Tacoma would also be fine until about noon. After that, might as well pack a lunch for the metro area traffic leaving town for the weekend.

Not sure what map you're using, but, 705 does not go to 104. If you go the Tacoma route, take 16 W (I-5 exit 132) across the Narrows bridge, 3 N in Bremerton to 104 W across the Hood Canal bridge, continuing to 101 then to Port Angeles.

See you there!

And so ends the most fun I think I have ever had with my clothes on. ( Doesn't say much, I know)

To all of you that we got to know well, Thanks.

To those that we didn't get as much time with, it was our great loss, and we thank you even more.

It is done, the machine is ended. Go In Peace.

quote:
highspeed access at your hotel
Paul's Motor Inn at $89CDN per night thinks of internet access as follows:

"Unplug your phone and...", well you get the idea. None of us could make that ethernet cable squeeze into the phone jack.

BTW: It was nice of Pepper and Weinerdog to set me straight on the pronunciation of CachinCin. (Note: It is not pronounced Ka-chink-en) icon_wink.gif

The short report:

1)Wow!

2)Wet

3)Wild

I hoped this would be a fun event. I didn't expect it to be this fun! It looks like a lot of us logged right around 70 caches on Saturday (I think I heard that Moun10Bike was at 74 when he left the Red Robin at 11:00pm icon_eek.gif )

If you ever get a chance to go caching in Victoria, do it. And make sure to let them know you're coming. I bet you'd get more than one offer to give you a guided tour. Them Canadians is a mighty friendly bunch! Thanks again you guys/gals.

Oh my Gawd! Entirely tooooo my fun for one person so instead it was a BUNCH of person's all after the same thing-INSANITY!

huge thanks to MairnerBC for the special caches placed for the VCM and yes Weinerdog(Donna) and I got a FTF! YIPEE!!!!YEAH!!!! YAHOO!!!!!

Also huge thanks go out to Ground Clutter and Lumbotire for being our on personal tour guides.

Let me say ya'll ROCK I just love me some Canadians.

It was a pleasure meeting many more of the locals also I will be back hopefully for the 2nd annual Internationl Cache Machine.

Must log caches now.

Thanks again for all the fun and the hospitality.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

LIKE THE TWO CACHE MACHINES THAT PROCEEDED THEM, THIS ONE HAD SOME UNEXP...

(wait a second... I'm in TEAM ALLCAPS mode...)

... had some unexpected twists, but unlike its predecessors, there was a lot more hiking. This was easily the most physically demanding of the cache machines, and if I could go back, I'd rate this a 4/4, not a 3/3.

Incredibly fun, surprisingly wet, and unexpectedly tough.

Our Vancouver Island hosts were wonderful, gracious, and fed us well.

I'm really glad we got past ZOOM ZOOM HYSTERIA before 11:30, though. I'd hate to have to interrupt Pamela Anderson's swinging to ask her if she's seen a geocache around.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

TOTAl BLAST!!!!! Boy, I had a great time in BC! It was great getting to know MarinerBC adn meet the other local cachers. I came dwon with Donna and MR on Thursday. MarinerBC took me to three hiking caches up on Mt Work. The next day, he took Donna and me to the downtown caches.

29 for that day.

Big cache day...we were able to sleep ijn a bit and head out about 7 am. Only ran into the main machine by the University. Moun10Bike bailed us from a possible DNF at that one with the hidden stump. I think we got 32 or 33 that day. Last one being Logan lake about 940 or so.

On this day, GeonutDAn and WallieDawg teamed with us for much of the day.

I was very surprised by the drier, rocky terrain of the region. Very scenic!

I managed to spot a monster Blacktail buck at one fo the caches...4 or 5 point. Eyeguards were over an inch long easy and spread about 30 inches. You don't see those big bucks up close too often. Didn't get a pic though, the old boy slipped further into the trees before I could get one. Shoot!

Well, I fully appreciated the hospitality of MarinerBC, CacheRunner, and the other locals! Thanks for hosting us. We had a great time and I plan on coming back to hit some of the more rugged ones someday.

Total for the weekend, including caches in PA and on way home, about 73 caches. Still gotta log them in so I'd better get busy.

I got numerous comments about how we rate caches here on the Southern Island, saying that we underestimate difficulty or terrain. A 3/3 is actually a 3.5/4, for example? Any of you care to comment, so that I, for one can be more accurate on my ratings?

Difficulty and terrain ratings are pretty subjective. The ends of the spectrum are fairly clear: if it's a cache that a wheelchair could get to, it's a one-star terrain. If special equipment is needed (kayak, rope, rapelling equipment), it's a five-star terrain.

Roy's Retirement, for example, is rated as a 1/1. The narrow steep trail to get there, combined with the slippery, moss covered rocks up there, make the terrain at least a 1.5.

Clayjar's rating system is pretty good for terrain, although I sometimes adjust it a star or a half star either way.

For difficulty, it's even harder. Difficulty is a combination of 'how evilly camouflaged is it' and 'how difficult is it to figure out what the true coordinates are'. Any cache that's not an ammo box or tupperware in a standard hiding spot with a couple of sticks on it is more than a one-star.

Yeah, not a lot of help, and I can't tell you the difference between a 3 and a 3½ difficulty. For a three star terrain, I'd expect a lot of bushwhacking (like Berry Bushy). For a four star terrain, I might expect a long hike, followed by a lot of bushwhacking.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by marinerBC:

I got numerous comments about how we rate caches here on the Southern Island, saying that we underestimate difficulty or terrain. A 3/3 is actually a 3.5/4, for example? Any of you care to comment, so that I, for one can be more accurate on my ratings?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/54199_2500.gif How much intelligence does it take to sneak up on a piece of tupperware?

It is subjective, but yeah the terrain ratings seemed to be a bit low. Witches Hat was at 1.5. Nope...more like 3 stars....some rock hopping and there isn't much of a trail. At least 3 stars...maybe 3.5.

Your fantastic Mt.Work cache should probably be at 3.5 stars...rocky trail, some elevation gain, and you have to go off trail some.

Wages of Fear could have been 4 stars in my opinion...steeper slope and slippery going with mossy rocks. 3.5 stars could fit as well. Three is a tad low.

The end and high points are straight forward...if any rope or special equipment is required...it's a 5 star. That cache I want to do someday with the swinging bridge would be five star in my book as you have to use rope and ladders to get down.

I will add one more thing, I'm going to try to plant a cache at a high mountain lake that is seemingly devoid of game trails and it's a hellacious bushwack of close to a mile after the old trail peters off. This would be a 5 star cache although no special equipment is needed due to the extreme bushwacking required and elevation gain is over 1000 feet in that stuff. Here's a link to the resulting cache when we had to turn back:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73113

LIke Travis, I can't tell you the difference of a half star, but generally I just go with my instinct. If bushwacking is in the equation, it's definitely a 3 no buts and ifs. Maybe more if other factors like elevation gain, etc.

Off trail demands at least a three. If it's just a few feet, you could lower it to 2 or 2.5 depending on the terrain and lenght of hike.

So that's my input.

quote:
Witches Hat was at 1.5. Nope...more like 3 stars....some rock hopping and there isn't much of a trail. At least 3 stars...maybe 3.5.

Egads! Once I read how you folks were taken there, I cringed! That was NOT the easiest way to get there, and I've been there twice. Your guide is a nice guy, but he did NOT take you up the most direct way. I know that MBC took you evergreen, but I am referring to the other folks who went on Saturday and had to go up ALL those stairs! icon_eek.gif I don't doubt that it seemed like a 3 or 3.5. I would rate it a 2 or 2.5, IF you go the right way. Sigh.........perhaps we'll direct next time! icon_wink.gif

Real cachers don't smell like Fleecy.

quote:
Originally posted by cacherunner:

quote:
Witches Hat was at 1.5. Nope...more like 3 stars....some rock hopping and there isn't much of a trail. At least 3 stars...maybe 3.5.

Egads! Once I read how you folks were taken there, I cringed! That was NOT the easiest way to get there, and I've been there twice. Your guide is a nice guy, but he did NOT take you up the most direct way. I know that MBC took you evergreen, but I am referring to the other folks who went on Saturday and had to go up ALL those stairs! icon_eek.gif I don't doubt that it seemed like a 3 or 3.5. I would rate it a 2 or 2.5, IF you go the right way. Sigh.........perhaps we'll direct next time! icon_wink.gif

Stairs? Wow, didn't notice them. Ok, 2.5 stars it is. I thoroughly enjoyed all the caches up there...my type totally. When I rate caches though, I try to think of people not in as good shape as we are. To me personally Witches Hat was a slam dunk, but I rated it higher for benefit of others.

I just planted a cache out the Juan de Fuca Trail, and went by the rating system on the Hide/Seek page. It is a 2 mile walk, and some up and down, but not nearly as much as, say, Mt Work. The system gave it a 2.5, 4, which I changed to a 2, 3.5. After all, most of it is along a rock shelf ( a little scrambly, but not tough) I think maybe we DO underrate caches here, based upon my objectivity when preparing the cache page, I think maybe we are more accustomed to the longer hikes.

The Seinfeld Cache

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you to all you terrific people who graced our city for a mad, mad caching marathon. My God, I had the most fun I've had in yonks!! I felt like I had known you all for ages. That says a lot about how great these events are. I made more new friends in a few hours than I have in 34 years! Each and every one of you are most heartily welcome back anytime! You're all family now. (Hey Pepper- can I have some Brisket?!?!)

Seriously, I'm so happy that you all came up. I hope you liked our few caches. We'll have to work at getting some more. icon_wink.gif Hubby and I will be headed through Oregon Sept 15-19, and would love to meet up with anyone. (separate post to follow)

Y'all come back now, ya hear?

"You are cleared for geocaching."

Some sad news that I thought VCM participants should know about:

Goodbye, Ginger Kitty icon_frown.gif

quote:
Log Date: 10/11/2003

Tragically, my beloved Topaz (Ginger Kitty) was hit by a car and killed this week.

For all who knew and loved him I will say the words I'm sure he would have wanted

you to hear before departing to heaven. "Thank-you for your loving kindess and for

feeding me treats over the past years; mew". He will be missed.

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Originally posted by travisl:

Some sad news that I thought VCM participants should know about:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGA6Z icon_frown.gif

Log Date: 10/11/2003

Tragically, my beloved Topaz (Ginger Kitty) was hit by a car and killed this week.

For all who knew and loved him I will say the words I'm sure he would have wanted

you to hear before departing to heaven. "Thank-you for your loving kindess and for

feeding me treats over the past years; mew". He will be missed.

How horribly sad! icon_frown.gif As mum to 2 crazy kitties, I shed a tear (or 6) for Topaz, who we had the distinct pleasure of meeting. In Kitty Heaven, there are no dogs, no cars to hit you, no hairballs, and an endless supply of catnip. Bye Topaz!! ==^..^==

1707169_200.JPG

Very sad to hear about Topaz.. very sad indeed. We didn't get a chance to see him while we were there but we just know that he was cool guy. In addition to *Beanie* (my name for her) the wienerdog we also have 2 cats Spanky and Cookie. The thought of any one of them leaving in us such a tragic manner is more than we want to think about. As the previous log said at least now Topaz won't have to worry about hair balls and every night will be treat night!

Good bye Topaz... sorry we missed you

Donna & MR

icon_frown.gif I'm awash in tears right now. I can't believe the gut wrenching news. I'm so sad, but I'm so angry too. I live in an area where cars fly up and down the roads. I've seen the deer, rabbits and other little creatures that fall victim to the cars. My kitty, Barkley, will never been an outdoor cat. If I am crying this much over someone elses, I can't imagine what I'd do for my own.

I think there needs to be some sort of little tribute to Topaz and all the happiness he brought to local cachers. God, I'm just so sad!

"You are cleared for geocaching."

Death of one means life times two!

Team SuperGenius will be adding two new additions to our family of 6(5human & 1cat) tomorrow.

Funny how out of all the caches we did on the VCM I do remember this one. It was almost the death of lucy's GPS. icon_eek.gif

Goodby Topaz.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif