Connect garmin 64 with S8 via usb connectors?

manonfire4jc

Has anyone tried to upload maps, routes, and/or caches from their smartphone using the usb connectors that come with the Samsung S8 to a Garmin GPS? I'm looking to up my game and pick up the 64st model and doing some hiking as well.  But I want to be able to upload on the go when I have signal on my phone.   Can this be done?

28 minutes ago, manonfire4jc said:

Has anyone tried to upload maps, routes, and/or caches from their smartphone using the usb connectors that come with the Samsung S8 to a Garmin GPS? I'm looking to up my game and pick up the 64st model and doing some hiking as well.  But I want to be able to upload on the go when I have signal on my phone.   Can this be done?

Is one of the cables an "OTG" cable?  That's how to wire two devices together.

There are many threads about the idea, such as this one.  Be sure that on the device there's a capable file manager App that can unzip files.

7 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Check your location settings. Is it set to "high accuracy?" If yes, what sort of terrain are you experiencing. A standalone GPS receiver will also bounce around a bit, and some locations are worse than others due to the topography or signal interference from the terrain.

Yes it is set to high.   I am really just wondering if the usb C connectors that come with the Galaxy S8 will be able to transfer files to the 64s or not.   And or if someone has done this?  Thanks for all the advice and help.    

59 minutes ago, manonfire4jc said:

Yes it is set to high.   I am really just wondering if the usb C connectors that come with the Galaxy S8 will be able to transfer files to the 64s or not.   And or if someone has done this?  Thanks for all the advice and help.    

Here's a conversation where it is said that one of the included adapters does in fact work OTG:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/otg-adapters-t3587126

I guess you have no GPS to plug into it, but you can test it with a wired mouse or a USB thumb drive.

I have not tried a "64st" and I don't have a Galaxy 8.  I don't even have a USB C OTG cable for my new phone.  I've done some transfer of files to a GPS in various ways using Android phones and tablets.  Which is why I use a PC for that. :D

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, manonfire4jc said:

Absolutely. I have used an OTG adapter to connect my S8 and 64st to transfer GPX files from the phone to GPS. The internal memory of the Garmin shows up in 'My Files' on the phone as USB-A and the SD card in the Garmin shows up as USB-B. I have also transferred files from my Galaxy S8 to my friends Garmin 62s as well. It also worked with an older Galaxy S6, too. So I assume that most late-model Galaxy's and Garmins will probably work together.