Multifarious Multifarious

This is a category where all way marks are voted on by the officers. It consists of way marks deemed not belonging to their category of choice, because the way the rules were written. OR it may be something unique that will never have a category of its own. OR something for which a category is yet to be devised. If there is eventually a category it will be grandfathered. BUT it is interesting and should be a waymark. The officers can negotiate with officers of the original category and get it accepted. This would be a way for the way marker to get their waymark voted on (especially if they think it should have been accepted). By definition this is a category of the unique! The rules for what needs to be written up are the standard items title, location, coordinates, dates, description short and long can be created (standard so they copy over if the item is accepted in the original category) This could be a way to move them over to a new category.. This could be a way to try out new category ideas to see if there is a demand out there..

No general, must have short and long descriptions (3 lines if you want). Must have 2 photos, close and far. The requirements could include some of the current rules for categories, but not all. It can't be allowed into an existing category, but if the officers think it should have been they can negotiate. It doesn't have to be worldwide, anyone can submit a multifarious Multifarious, but some of them can be unique to an area. Can not be too prevalent (share car drop offs). Has to be interesting (this is the wildcard that will depend on the officers). This could contain categories that haven't gotten off the ground like Union Meeting Halls and permanent outdoor theaters. May exclude retail businesses including new restaurants (if this is an area deemed not waymark able). Voting has a time limit? This should have so it doesn't get stuck. How does voting work, majority of those who reply? This is a chance to waymark that item, "gee if only there were a category".  It has to be well written enough to pass voting. This could be a first step in proposing a new category. If a waymark passes Multifarious Multifarious and is worldwide then maybe it could be a waymark if prevalent enough. Voting would take care of the problem of not being able to define the unique.

Edited by ripraff

Officer votes on posts already have a time limit, three days.  When officers neglect to vote, the vote usually goes in favour of approving the waymark by default.

I think that this category would be perfect for many retail business waymarks.  It will be interesting to read what others think about that.

The category requirements must be very specific regarding "too prevalent."  "Interesting" can be subjective.  "Prevalence" should not be.

Sounds like you have hit on the perfect landing place for those shots of the inside of the car, our feet. blue sky and similar that we always end up with upon arriving home from a WMing trip. Don't be telling me my feet aren't interesting, now. The really blurry ones are truly interesting, too - high art at its finest! Of course, many WMers might consider such submissions "too prevalent", while others would look at them as being "under prevalent". I s'pose it would depend on the steadiness of their trigger fingers.

Keith

One way to limit prevalence other than judgement would be to have a number per town or state or country. How do you measure prevalence? One on every street corner? Twenty per town? Five per town? Too prevalent would be rejected but UNIQUE would be perfect. Unique would never have its own category but would fit here.

Edited by ripraff

Fields could list 1-3 categories rejected from and suggested categories to list where it would belong if the category existed. The rejected category might suggest ways they are too restrictive. Suggested categories would point the way to possible new categories. Having always voting would get past that one officer who was plain wrong in rejecting your great waymark.

Edited by ripraff

Interesting is one reason voting is needed. It is always subjective. This way it would rely on community opinion. It would be good to have many officers so someone would always be there to vote. This could be the most interesting category of all. It would fit under Waymarking Multifarious. It would be hoped that some way marks would make it through the gauntlet. Go through those rejected way marks, maybe this time...

Edited by ripraff

My inspiration for this category was having a college chapel rejected from religious multifarious because they might have a concert or lecture there. It is a very good-looking chapel on a peaceful pond. And then there was that rejected bandstand and the rejected amphitheater.

Edited by ripraff

Oouh, it looks like you are going to create the ultimate mess.

Many times that I have come across something unique, I wished there was a place for it, but after thinking about it, it is clear, that this does not work. Such a category would be subjective only, without a single limitation taken from the real world. This category would end up as a heap of trash, playground for problem waymarkers. No matter how you try, you will not be able to prevent this.

A horrible idea in itself, but then you want to additionally allow waymarks that already have been denied somewhere else. Huh?

We already have the uncategorized heap, that's more than enough for me.

• Upvote 3

It would all depend on the officers tp keep it clean. Rejected way marks may be due to limitations of the category, not the waymark. There are many potential way marks that are interesting that don't have a category and may never because there might not be enough of them or they are too restricted in area. Some of the limitations in categories are really arbitrary. Religious multifarious turned out to be a really good category sweeping in the Mormans, Unitarians, and a lot of small groups. It also generated discussions where additional groups were included in existing categories. Maybe this will likewise lead to category expansion and new categories. Be brave.

On 9/9/2018 at 5:36 AM, ripraff said:

Unique would never have its own category but would fit here.

There are two categories that immediately spring to mind which deal exclusively in "Uniques" - First of its Kind & Last of its Kind.

All other objections aside, I feel that your major hurdle here would be achieving the requisite number of qualified officers. I, for one, would never in a million years join a category in which I had to vote on each and every submission. Nope! No Way! No How!

7 hours ago, iconions said:

Ah, wise words were once told to me, "Onions, Just because something CAN be waymarked, doesn't mean it SHOULD be waymarked..." :D

Hear, hear!!!

Keith

On ‎10‎.‎09‎.‎2018 at 2:51 PM, ripraff said:

It would all depend on the officers tp keep it clean. Rejected way marks may be due to limitations of the category, not the waymark. There are many potential way marks that are interesting that don't have a category and may never because there might not be enough of them or they are too restricted in area. Some of the limitations in categories are really arbitrary. Religious multifarious turned out to be a really good category sweeping in the Mormans, Unitarians, and a lot of small groups. It also generated discussions where additional groups were included in existing categories. Maybe this will likewise lead to category expansion and new categories. Be brave.

Is that a serious idea or some kind of joke? If you are serious, let me ask: Suppose I post a waymark with a statue and claim that there is no category for it. Would you as a reviewer check if the statue fits in Smithsonian Art Inventory Sculptures or Living Statues or Statues of Historic Figures or ..................? There might be things that will be easy to judge (I think about my idea for a defibrilators category that never came true), but there will be lots of things where it will be VERY difficult to determine, if there really is no category for it, no?