Make a Multicache that Requires you to Find Existing Caches

learn2mine

I have nine caches along a road.... Now before you say I laid a powertrail I must tell you almost all of them are different and at the end of the trail is 4.5 difficulty.... Now I was planning another unique cache. It was too be a large cache and I got a large waterproof container(bought a large watertight boating trunk new from Canadian Tire) and filled it with SWAG(brand new) I also put two combination locks on it. But I would like to make it so that in each of those nine caches is a clue(a bit of coordinates or part of the codes for the combination lock etc.) How can I do this and still have them log nine of the finds including a multi at the end it is thus classify and a mystery cache! Has anyone ever done this?

2 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

It looks like you have 9 caches already in place with finds on all but one. Are you going to create a new series with a bonus or are you going to make people revisit caches to be able to find the bonus?  The revisit option might have some minor negative consequences. 

I'm planning on just using my original nine. I may end up telling the hints for that specific cache if they ask for it.

2 hours ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

It looks like you have 9 caches already in place with finds on all but one. Are you going to create a new series with a bonus or are you going to make people revisit caches to be able to find the bonus?  The revisit option might have some minor negative consequences.

The OP does say, "But I would like to make it so that in each of those nine caches is a clue", but I'm sorta on the same line. 

Especially if I just went to a couple or most less than a week ago (in this case)...

Have seen some "revisit" for reasons similar (folks who have to clear an area mostly),  but I know I wouldn't. 

I'm doing one similar now.  Forgot one "code" and not going back just for it,  so I'll have fun with the rest of the caches, but the bonus will be on ignore when it comes out.   :)

• Upvote 2

I have a series (Bison Trail) where the bonus cache is listed as a Multi. A digit of the bonus cache coordinates are found in each cache. Six digits are required for the final and there are 17 caches to be found therefore  digits are duplicated in event a cache goes missing enabling cachers to still find the bonus. In theory a cacher would only need to find 6 caches but which six? With this series some have found the bounus without finding all 17 caches but in about 90% of such cases cachers return to complete all finds in the series.

5 hours ago, colleda said:

I have a series (Bison Trail) where the bonus cache is listed as a Multi

It probably wouldn't be listed that way today. Although there is and always has been quite a bit of difference regionally on Multi or Mystery. But per the Help Center article that includes  the definition of a Multi,  the listing coords are for place that needs to visited.   "The posted coordinates for a Multi-Cache are the first stage. At each stage, the geocacher gathers information.."

There's no info to be gathered at your Bison Finale listing coords.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

There's no info to be gathered at your Bison Finale listing coords.

That could  be a traditional cache because the cache is at the listed coordinates. Locks do not change this fact. There are traditional caches behind locks you have to open to access the logbook.

1 minute ago, arisoft said:

That could  be a traditional cache because the cache is at the listed coordinates.

- a traditional cache must be listed at the coordinates of the cache

- the listed coordinates of a multi cache must be the first (!) stage of that multi cache (*)

- the listed coordinates of an unknown cache may be bogus

So a multi cache and an unknown cache can be placed at the listed coordinates (which usually makes no sense but here it does). In my eyes opening the container is part of finding the cache and so for a traditional cache with locks you would need all the answers to open them directly at the cache and therefore I would prefer not to list this as traditional cache as important parts of the cache (the lock numbers) are at the stages of the multi or unknown cache....

If opening the locks without any help (lockpicking or else) it is a traditional with higher difficulty rating but if that's not intended as you get the numbers elsewhere it's not so traditional....

(*) which hopefully isn't true for the bison trail multi :-))

20 minutes ago, The Blue Quasar said:

In rare cases a Multi could be multiple stages at the same posted coordinates.  One example would be when changes of elevation are involved.

I've found multi-caches where I could touch the first stage with one hand while touching the final stage with the other hand. But even when the first stage and the final stage have the same coordinates, there are still multiple stages. That's different from a multi-cache with only one stage.

On 10.9.2018 at 4:21 PM, arisoft said:

Not if it is the only stage. A multi-cache must have multiple stages and the posted coordinates must be for the first stage - not the final stage.

But first stage can be the same as the final. For example if the first stage is the final container with a lock and you get the coordinates for the key written on the box than it is a multi cache.

Stage 1 is at the listing coordinates.

Stage 2 is the key box.

Final is at the listing coordinates.

After having done the cache you return the key. That does not count to the stages but obviously has to be done.

For me that is not a traditional!

9 hours ago, frostengel said:
On 10.9.2018 at 5:21 PM, arisoft said:

Not if it is the only stage. A multi-cache must have multiple stages and the posted coordinates must be for the first stage - not the final stage.

But first stage can be the same as the final. For example if the first stage is the final container with a lock and you get the coordinates for the key written on the box than it is a multi cache.

That In that case the first stage is the hint on the box and you start from there. Later you can open the final stage with the key at the same place.

If there is no coordinates on the box and the key is a waypoint on the description, then the posted coordinates should point to tke key and the additional final coordinate to the cache.

So ya I hid this large cache and maybe a day after someone whent along all my 9 original 

caches and found them and after that they went and found the mystery cache. I got the email and was like yess what did he say about the expierience! I opened the email and was stopped short! All he said was "TFTC." I don't even know if he took my FTF prize a $10 Tim Hortons gift card all I know is he found all my caches and the bonus cache! And almost all of them just had TFTC! Man that's disappointing!

3 minutes ago, learn2mine said:

So ya I hid this large cache and maybe a day after someone whent along all my 9 original 

caches and found them and after that they went and found the mystery cache. I got the email and was like yess what did he say about the expierience! I opened the email and was stopped short! All he said was "TFTC." I don't even know if he took my FTF prize a $10 Tim Hortons gift card all I know is he found all my caches and the bonus cache! And almost all of them just had TFTC! Man that's disappointing!

You would think he could put a little bit more into the log especially if it's an FTF!!!!

14 minutes ago, learn2mine said:

You would think he could put a little bit more into the log especially if it's an FTF!!!!

Every cache owner likes to read flattering logs.   In fact there are some cache owners who downright expect them.   Although TFTC can be a little deflating don't let that get you down.   Just because someone doesn't want to write a long log doesn't mean they didn't enjoy themselves.     When someone writes "TFTC" on one of my caches I respond to myself " Thanks for taking the time to find it"    

24 minutes ago, learn2mine said:

After 350, I stopped "claiming" FTF, and noticed that many don't.  Apparently everyone isn't playing that side-game.  :)

We've always tried to leave something besides TFTC,  and it's the reason I don't do low-terrain hides anymore.  Many just don't  do it for me.

Most of our older (now archived) hides had  logs with long stories about the day, to be followed with a string of TFTC.   :D

Just a sign o the times I think.

2 hours ago, learn2mine said:

Erase the highlighted part of the sentence and I fully agree with you.

No cache is worth only "TFTC" and if you're able to understand German that's what my signature is about.

But FTF is only a side game to the main game - and therefore I don't see the reason why I should put more heart into an FTF log but in a "normal" log.

I see these are your first caches - some of them look good so well done! :-)

4 hours ago, frostengel said:

Erase the highlighted part of the sentence and I fully agree with you.

No cache is worth only "TFTC" and if you're able to understand German that's what my signature is about.

But FTF is only a side game to the main game - and therefore I don't see the reason why I should put more heart into an FTF log but in a "normal" log.

I see these are your first caches - some of them look good so well done! :-)

Is there any improvements that need to made or could be made?

7 hours ago, learn2mine said:

Is there any improvements that need to made or could be made?

Hello learn2mine,

that's hard to decide from the distance. Wait for the logs (those who say more than "TFTC") and always read them carefully - perhaps you will have to adjust some ratings (it is easier or more difficult to find/reach) in the beginning. E. g. you write something about rubber boots at a terrain 1.5 cache - I don't know the area but this might not fit (but as it is only in spring it might be correct - hard to decide...).

What I like are the different sizes and it seems that you haven't hidden any cache the same way as the others - so it doesn't get boring along the way. :-)

Just wait for more logs at the bonus cache. In my area those are usual a little longer and will tell about the whole trail. As long as you can read that the finders had fun - everything is okay! :-)

The first caches are always most exciting - I remember my first cache, a totally unusefull multicache. :-P

Best wishes

Jochen