Lock option for Travel Bugs

brodiebunch

Is that exactly what it appears to be? 

You can lock others out of your TB's so they cannot "discover" them?

I have had that happen quite a lot, using folks from overseas "discovering" (but not retrieving) TB's that have been long since missing. 

They also do that with my personal TB's that travel with us. 

This option does not just make them undiscoverable, it removes them from play.  It misses the point entirely, because then the TB cannot be logged as grabbed, dropped or retrieved in addition to not being able to be logged ads discovered.  The choice of whether or not a trackable should be able to receive discovery logs should be left to the TB owner (who paid for that number), it should not be a choice between it is completely out of play or in play.  

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Zekester & Simon said:

This option does not just make them undiscoverable, it removes them from play.  It misses the point entirely, because then the TB cannot be logged as grabbed, dropped or retrieved in addition to not being able to be logged ads discovered.  The choice of whether or not a trackable should be able to receive discovery logs should be left to the TB owner (who paid for that number), it should not be a choice between it is completely out of play or in play.  

There is a way to make a TB “discover only”: log it into one's Collection. Not traveling cache-to-cache, none of the logs that change Inventory are available, just “Discover” and “Note”.  Kind of a round-about way, sure.  Whether or not a Button is the way to deal with Geocachers who won't stop messing with people, that's a whole topic in itself.

People have suggested that individual check boxes would be super.

“I want only 'Discover'” *CLICK*.

“I want No 'Discover' nor 'Visits'” *CLICK* *CLICK*.

But there's a problem, emphasized by such requests. Geocachers love to click checkboxes. This is why they so desperately need new buttons to click, to counteract the buttons that other people clicked. Then they watch what happens, become horrified by what happens, arrive in the Forum and ask for help unscrambling the mess they created. And then they ask what that button is for. And they refuse to believe you when you explain what that button is for (that pretty much nobody needs to click it).

AND once buttons are added to the existing structure, one must think logically about what combination of buttons will do what is intended. You know the people who click filters for both “Caches I have Found” and “Caches I have Not Found” in a pocket query, and then arrive to ask why no caches are listed? Those people.

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

But there's a problem, emphasized by such requests. Geocachers love to click checkboxes. This is why they so desperately need new buttons to click, to counteract the buttons that other people clicked.

:D

Sad, but true.

Currently, one may be losing a moving trackable because they mistakenly marked it "collectible", instead of leaving the darn thing alone.

Looking on their owned, all say "collectible".       It pays to read... 

1 hour ago, flamingo chaser said:

I have a TB that the owner thinks is unlocked, but it is most certainly not.

Is it appropriate for me to just dump the TB?

Any advice welcome.

Leave it in another cache. If enough people contact the TB owner and tell them it's locked, they might finally get the message.

8 hours ago, flamingo chaser said:

I have a TB that the owner thinks is unlocked, but it is most certainly not.

Is it appropriate for me to just dump the TB?

Any advice welcome.

I'm sure not gonna argue with a TO over something that has nothing to do with me.    :)

If I can't log a trackable, I'd dump it in the next cache I find large enough to hold it. - Then forgetaboutit...     

• Helpful 2