Waymark locked by Category Group?

vulture1957

6 minutes ago, vulture1957 said:

I went to make a minor edit to one of my waymarks (WMWXWQ) and got this message

This waymark has been locked by the category group and can no longer be edited.

Why would the Category Group lock the waymark owner out of their own waymark?

It makes them feel important. I think it is absolutely wrong  99.999% of the cases.

Vulture, have you tried editing it again later?

This morning I reread an email suggesting that an approved WM of mine should have a typo fixed. I went to edit it and, though I never saw a notice apprising me that it was  locked, the "edit" item after the name wasn't there. This, as best I can remember, has never happened before. I checked again several hours later and "edit" had returned to its rightful place and I edited the WM.

I'm beginning to suspect a glitch, as opposed to dastardly deeds done deep in the dark.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Although the possibility to explicitly lock a waymark does exist, I do not now any valid reason to do this, and I am not aware of any example when this would have been don on purpose.

I suspect that the locking you experienced is a temporary side effect of an edit request; then a waymark is locked for anyone, including the owner, until the request is reviewed. This also technically makes sense to prevent contradictory requests at the same time.

1 hour ago, lumbricus said:

There was no edit request. The waymark was locked and I unlocked it for you.

thanks, Lumbricus. Not that I NEEDED to edit, but I was just trying to make my naming convention the same where ever I can. Some categories have specific naming conventions that don't allow city, state or country.