Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
TeamPumpJack

Download to .LOC button is gone from the bookmarks/view page!

Recommended Posts

Sometime after 9/4/18, the "Download to .LOC" button that was present at the bottom of the bookmarks/view page has disappeared!

 

The only buttons down there now are "Delete Selected"  "Delete Entire List" and "Create Pocket Query." 

 

I'd like to have it back!  It was very handy for a quick download of the coords and basic cache information without having to run a Pocket Query. Here's an example of the page I'm talking about:   https://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?code=BM5N7B8

 

on 9/4/18

image.png.8686ce035312379a3f4a5e14025efa21.png

 

Today 9/8/18

image.png.7aaa422e60454fa96dd5a9df73f26911.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

The work around I found is inferior to the "Download to .LOC" button.

It involves creating a pocket query from the list, requesting the output file to be in the .LOC format, running the pocket query and then finally downloading it. Several more steps for the user and it possibly adds to the load on geocaching.com's servers. A huge drawback to this is that the resulting file is sorted by GC code by default, losing the order that the list was originally in.

 

Please bring the "Download to .LOC" button back!

Share this post


Link to post

Pardon my ignorance, but what are you using the .loc file for? The bookmark list itself shows essential data (gccode, cachename) and you may map the list as well.

 

Hans

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, HHL said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what are you using the .loc file for? The bookmark list itself shows essential data (gccode, cachename) and you may map the list as well.

 

Hans

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the question. I use the .LOC download to create a file with lat/long and GC and cache name fields that mapquest can import. Then I have mapquest optimize the route and calculate distance and drive times.

 

Richard

Share this post


Link to post

After creating the query, you can preview it and download a .loc file from there. No need to run the query.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, TeamPumpJack said:

The work around I found is inferior to the "Download to .LOC" button.

It involves creating a pocket query from the list, requesting the output file to be in the .LOC format, running the pocket query and then finally downloading it. Several more steps for the user and it possibly adds to the load on geocaching.com's servers. A huge drawback to this is that the resulting file is sorted by GC code by default, losing the order that the list was originally in.

 

Please bring the "Download to .LOC" button back!

 

You don't have to run the Pocket Query, just "Preview" it.  Maybe save a step or two.

 

I can't explain why TPTB drastically change things.  Nor how they decide.  Actually, I have not been directly involved in any changes, and most of my suggestions have received a certain amount of attention.  Let's see, here it is:  "zero-point-zero".  If I were to guess, I guess the idea is that we all use The App.

 

Edited by kunarion

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TeamPumpJack said:

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the question. I use the .LOC download to create a file with lat/long and GC and cache name fields that mapquest can import. Then I have mapquest optimize the route and calculate distance and drive times.

 

Richard

Ah, now I see. That makes a lot of sense. ;-)

 

Happy Planning

Hans

Edited by HHL
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JPatton said:

After creating the query, you can preview it and download a .loc file from there. No need to run the query.

Thanks, JPatton, for the input. I tried as you suggested and found that it will work if there are no more than 20 caches in the list, though the original list order is lost.

The preview method doesn't seem to work if there are more than 20 caches in the list and if the user wants to have all the caches in a single .LOC file. The PQ results preview breaks up the results into multiple pages of 20 caches each. I don't see a way to "Check All" for all the pages of the entire PQ preview result before clicking the "Download Waypoints" button at the bottom of the preview page. Without a true "Check All", I don't see a way around an individual download for each and every page of twenty caches. 

 

On the other hand, after the PQ has run, the downloaded file contains all caches, though, again, the original list order is lost.

 

Richard

Share this post


Link to post

I used the LOC to download geoarts that no one had made a booklist.  I went to the CO cache pages and downloaded the LOC into GSAK.  Once I had the art, then I refreshed.  got them all quickly.  I also used the LOC when looking at other cachers booklists for mega events and downloaded caches of interest to me.  Then refreshed from GSAK.  So quick for me.  I am really sorry to see this is gone and really am feeling the loss of this option.  I USED it a lot.  Have not found me a quick work around so far and hate doing so many PQs, waiting for them and then deleting caches from them I didn't want to begin with.  Darn changes.  

Share this post


Link to post

Does mapquest not support GPX files? 

Google Maps does. Just import your GPX to google maps and create a route/directions. It's a better service than mapquest anyway.

I'm guessing that Groundspeak finally got rid of the .loc download because the server is processing too few requests to bother keeping it around. That and LOC files are both inferior to GPX files and support for them is few and far between. 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3

×