Pocket Query to a Modern Garmin GPS - Windows

kunarion

If you've run and downloaded a Pocket Query, you're ready to manually put it into your Windows PC-connected Garmin GPS.

If you don't know how to work Pocket Queries, see this.

You can use a very similar technique to the following, to place any GPX files. For example, if you saved a single GPX file, read on to get the general idea of how to put it on your GPS.

These steps highlight only the basic points.  If you don't know how to unzip or move files in Windows, you may need to go learn that.  This is about how to save Pocket Queries.

If you've installed a lotta weird utilities over the years, those utilities might capture your "Zip" files or your "GPX" files, adding complications.  If software that you don't use gets in the way, remove it. Windows can unzip files without any special software.

I've tested these instructions on Garmin Oregon.  This tends to work fine on newer Garmin GPSs that connect by USB and show up as a drive.  You may need to first set your GPS to something like "Mass Storage".  It needs to show up as a USB drive.

Of course there are many ways to do this.  If anyone has a great plan, make your own thread about it.

Here I've opened two folders in the File Manager.  One is Downloads where my Pocket Queries go.  The other is my Garmin Oregon which shows up here as drive "Garmin G:", as an example.  I navigated to Garmin/GPX.  All GPX files go into this GPX subfolder.

1twofolders.jpg

I see my previously downloaded Pocket Query in Downloads.  It's the Pocket Query I named "FayNear" (computer name "3351990_FayNear (6).zip"), and it downloaded as a Zip file.  I right-click it and it's highlighted blue.  A new window pops up, and I left click "Extract All".

2extract.jpg

Now there's a new folder in Downloads, the extracted "3351990_FayNear (6).zip" GPX files.  I opened that folder and saw the Pocket Query's two unzipped GPX files in it.  I selected both.  I left-clicked and dragged them into the open Garmin/GPX folder. 

3clickdrag.jpg

Of course if you're working with an unzipped file (such as GPX), skip the part about unzipping it.

Now they're listed in the Garmin/GPX folder.  I eject the drive, then go caching. :P

4place-files.jpg

Probably the 2nd time you try this, you'll realize you don't need to have a lotta windows open at once, that you can copy-paste to a folder icon (for example), and that you can even "unzip" directly to a desired folder.  Whatever makes sense to you.  It's fast and easy once you get the hang of it.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 2