Geocoin Reward/Souvenir - for multiple cache finds - is this possible?

gginnj

I was considering working with a local town to setup caches around town coupled with different routes as part of a health/exercise program.

I would be maintaining the caches, not the town. Similar to a project the local boys scouts did a few years back where they tagged street signs

with different colored metal tags to mark out a walking route (.5 mile, 1 mile) etc.  The area I'm looking at doing this in has no caches presently.

But - What would be nice is if we tracked who found the caches, and if you found all the caches - you would get a reward coin (while supply lasted)

and if possible - earn a souvenir on your profile.

Is this something that can be automated through Groundspeak? To know if all the caches in a list have been found by a user?

All in the preliminary/learning stages at present - so any information would be helpful.

Well, an official GeoTour isn't going to be possible - Mostly funding. Talking about a fairly small town with minimal $ resources.

So it looks like it would be an unofficial - which is fine, although I'm guessing the digital souvenir would not be possible unless it's official

But...I like the idea of looping in the towns historical society to help suggest/setup information for potential cache sites (as long as they are .1 miles apart...)

2 hours ago, gginnj said:

Well, an official GeoTour isn't going to be possible - Mostly funding. Talking about a fairly small town with minimal $ resources.

So it looks like it would be an unofficial - which is fine...

Now that you realize a geotour may be out of the question, simply placing caches  (with permission) at noteworthy  spots sounds good...  :)

Noticed you haven't hidden any yet, so included the Help center info on Hide your cache and the Hiding Guidelines in case you missed 'em.

2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Now that you realize a geotour may be out of the question, simply placing caches  (with permission) at noteworthy  spots sounds good...  :)

Noticed you haven't hidden any yet, so included the Help center info on Hide your cache and the Hiding Guidelines in case you missed 'em.

Being this may be associated with a town - it will make a difference on how the cache is hidden - I may have to stick to magnetic's on signposts

to factor in for disabilities. One cache I went to said it was wheelchair accessable - but unless the person had an off road wheelchair there was

no way they could have gotten up the hill, across the field and negotiated the wooded terrain...but it was a great cache anyway.

I am in the process of putting on near my house, however, I have to wait for public works - they are scheduled to replace the signs at that location

and it will be attached to a sign post - well - part of it will be.....

As for the caches for the town - those will take some time to put the information together and design an appropirate walking path - I was more in

the fact finding stage at this point.

13 minutes ago, gginnj said:

Being this may be associated with a town - it will make a difference on how the cache is hidden - I may have to stick to magnetic's on signposts

to factor in for disabilities. One cache I went to said it was wheelchair accessable - but unless the person had an off road wheelchair there was

no way they could have gotten up the hill, across the field and negotiated the wooded terrain...but it was a great cache anyway.

Township cache paths that I've done have several nice boxes, such as birdhouses, porch style mailboxes, even a real mailbox in the center of town, painted nicely and with a combination lock (combination on the cache page). Almost all are roomy Small or large containers. Most would be accessible by wheelchair. None were magnetic guard rail caches.

27 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Township cache paths that I've done have several nice boxes, such as birdhouses, porch style mailboxes, even a real mailbox in the center of town, painted nicely and with a combination lock (combination on the cache page). Almost all are roomy Small or large containers. Most would be accessible by wheelchair. None were magnetic guard rail caches.

Sounds nice. Might need to start small however - small but easy - work up to nicer and easy (or harder)

I wasn't thinking magnetic gaurdrail - more like magnetic bolts - most of the areas would only have sign posts - maybe a couple with a guard rail, I don't know about Lamp posts...

That's my next step  - scouting out areas in the town that they can be hidden in.  I was hoping to get some county funding in order to have some Coins made up - My thought was

more along like a bike path cache - except instead of bike path - it's a sidewalk with turns....

I checked out the event you forwarded me - that's another option I hadn't thought about - a one day event - where the caches could be removed at the end of the event - less of

chance of them walking off during the night - and placed in different areas for future events.

there's still a lot of GeoOptions I still don't know about

6 minutes ago, gginnj said:

I checked out the event you forwarded me - that's another option I hadn't thought about - a one day event - where the caches could be removed at the end of the event - less of

chance of them walking off during the night - and placed in different areas for future events.

The caches are still there. The welcome event itself was temporary.

On 07/09/2018 at 4:34 PM, gginnj said:

(...)

One cache I went to said it was wheelchair accessable - but unless the person had an off road wheelchair there was

(...)

Sadly we can`t always trust the D/T and attributes because its subjective to each cache owner and a reviewer don't enforce it.

To the OP, it may be worthwhile to inquire with HQ about setting up a Lab Cache. I'm not sure what the costs are related to that.  There is a historical society Lab Cache in the Seattle area that might be familiar to what you're interested in. See HERE, login with your regular geocaching.com account information.

The advantage of this is that you won't have to place actual caches and you won't have to worry about cache saturation. In that way, maintenance is much easier.

A small town that has one that we have completed is in Blackshear, GA.  All very unique caches spread across the city with support from the city.  Its not officially a geotour, but very well done with rewards for completing.  GC485HQ is one of the more favorited caches and will give you an idea, and you can find the others easily from the cache page.