download to GPS

allthingswood

4 hours ago, allthingswood said:

where has the ability to download cache details to a GPS gone ??? I now can only download GPX files . Therefore my GPS unit is now useless

I've been entering caches manually to a similar "useless" model (60cxs) since '04.    :D

A simple search shows numerous methods for folks who can't/won't change from a set-up that has security flaws.

The main Release Notes statement by the site on the issue (also with a bunch of helpful alternatives) is Here.   :)

• Helpful 1
10 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Thanks to these forums, with much difficulty, i succeeded to download caches the new way to my GPS,   then today,  the small icon that should be on the cache page, enabling me to download  has gone!    what is going on?

Nobody asked for less convenience.  I don't appreciate a lot of the other site changes, nobody asked me.  But the support structure for The Old Button is gone.  The new button is for GPSs that can load GPX files directly.  Garmin is not making plugins for 10-year-old GPSs, and entire other GPS companies are gone, they make no software at all.  So that plug-in, that button, had to go.  It was failing for years, go look at thousands of threads where people worked on alternatives.  Brace yourself, more features will be vanishing, mark my words.  El-Predicto predicts this B).  It's not altogether a bad thing.  Adapt. :)

Remember how the sorely missed Send To GPS "old button" required reading and research, special software, special setup, and learning how to use a "new" process?  Just like the "New Button" does. :D

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Thanks again,   I used a send to GPS button  from pocket queries the other day,   but cant even find this today,  as the new icon to download waypoints as also disappeared!

Pocket Queries are actually super easy, but there's a serious learning curve.  They work upside down and backwards to what makes sense to me, so it took me forever to figure them out.  Now that's the most common way I load my Garmin Oregon.  This uses the file manager. They in no way have a "button to load it".  OK, there are buttons.  Not automatic, though.

I set up a couple of nearby towns where I may cache on a weekend.  I have those Pocket Queries run on a schedule, before the weekend.  Just before I head out, I download, unzip, save the GPX full of caches.  Once it's all set up, it's simple.  Then just add a new town or two if traveling.

I also like "Lists" for Geotours and stuff, where I can pick just the caches I like.  Those almost always are for my phone, with a Pocket Query made from the List, for the Garmin Oregon.  So now I can see a map for planning the Geotour, on the phone.  I can't stand "The Phone" for Geocaching, I use it for driving directions.  Or if I don't have my GPS on me, for a Geocaching emergency. :P

Pocket Queries are great for an entire townsful of caches out to a radius of some miles.  Lists are great for picking out individual caches to load all at once.  Each operates differently, features overlap, and I'd suggest getting familiar with both.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, kunarion said:

Brace yourself, more features will be vanishing, mark my words. 

Not mentioned in the latest release notes (though it may have happened before the latest release) is the inability to created a "Related Web Page".  Existing cache pages with a related web page will still show the link but it looks like GS just decided to remove a feature they deemed not to be useful.  It was probably mostly used by puzzle creators but I've seen it used on cache pages to point to a site which provides some history or other interesting about the cache location.    It's not nearly as bad as just removing the coordinate conversion link/page that was on every cache listing but I don't seeing anyone asking  for either of those features to be removed.  

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Not mentioned in the latest release notes (though it may have happened before the latest release) is the inability to created a "Related Web Page".  Existing cache pages with a related web page will still show the link but it looks like GS just decided to remove a feature they deemed not to be useful.  It was probably mostly used by puzzle creators but I've seen it used on cache pages to point to a site which provides some history or other interesting about the cache location.    It's not nearly as bad as just removing the coordinate conversion link/page that was on every cache listing but I don't seeing anyone asking  for either of those features to be removed.  

No one asks for their return because no one knew they were gone.

Better mistakes tomorrow....