no load to my GPS option

olytreeman

When I go into a geocache. I use to have an option to "load to my GPS" Can anyone tell me why I do not have that option any longer? When I am at the map and go to a specific cache. Is all that is listed is Add to my list, Download GPX, and Log Visit. I no longer have the Load to my GPS option. I was wanting to download some specific caches and no long am given that option. Thanks for any help. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, olytreeman said:

When I go into a geocache. I use to have an option to "load to my GPS" Can anyone tell me why I do not have that option any longer? When I am at the map and go to a specific cache. Is all that is listed is Add to my list, Download GPX, and Log Visit. I no longer have the Load to my GPS option. I was wanting to download some specific caches and no long am given that option. Thanks for any help. 

Go to the top of the forums and read the latest Release Notes. It explains why.

When I hit the Download GPX I get a window at the bottom of my screen to save or open. If I hit open I just get a mess of scrambled wording. Am I now suppose to hit save and have it go into a folder? Then retrieve it there? That is a total pain in the a**. They sure are not helping the download experience. Thanks

11 minutes ago, olytreeman said:

When I hit the Download GPX I get a window at the bottom of my screen to save or open. If I hit open I just get a mess of scrambled wording. Am I now suppose to hit save and have it go into a folder? Then retrieve it there? That is a total pain in the a**. They sure are not helping the download experience. Thanks

What brand an model of GPS?

For a modern Garmin, save a GPX file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the device.

I have several Garmin GPS models and have gotten used to creating lists and pocket queries to add geocaches to my devices. From time to time, however, I like to bring out my 60CSX and play around with it. That "Send to GPS" button was very handy. I know, I can use Basecamp or GSAK with not too much effort but I'll miss that feature along with many other folks I'm sure.

17 minutes ago, kunarion said:

What brand an model of GPS?

For a modern Garmin, save a GPX file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the device.

I have a Garmin GPSMap64ST How do I save the GPX file into the Garmin folder? I don't get an option to send it to my GPS at all. The "send to GPS" was all I have ever done I know no other way. I am not total tech savvy. Thanks

19 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

I have several Garmin GPS models and have gotten used to creating lists and pocket queries to add geocaches to my devices. From time to time, however, I like to bring out my 60CSX and play around with it. That "Send to GPS" button was very handy. I know, I can use Basecamp or GSAK with not too much effort but I'll miss that feature along with many other folks I'm sure.

It was nice for just a cache or two. It's how I used to load my Nuvi for a trip.  But "Send To GPS" failed for me, a couple of years ago, and if I can't get it to function, I sure can't provide steps to cause it to function.  If people were computer whizzes, with all the work required to keep Send To GPS working, they can figure out options after Send To GPS is gone.  I'm not that worried about that. :D

7 minutes ago, olytreeman said:

I have a Garmin GPSMap64ST How do I save the GPX file into the Garmin folder? I don't get an option to send it to my GPS at all. The "send to GPS" was all I have ever done I know no other way. I am not total tech savvy. Thanks

When you connect your 64ST to the computer you should see it in file manager as a storage drive like a thumb drive would appear.  To load one cache at a time, similar to how the no longer available "Send to GPS button" was used, on the page for the cache you want to load click on the GPX File button.  Then click on Save As and save the file into the Garmin/GPX folder on the GPS.  This is the same folder where the old button sent the cache.  Disconnect and turn on the GPS.  You should see the cache in the cache list.

As a Premium Member you also have the option to load an entire list using the Send To Garmin option on your lists page.  And you can create pocket queries and save them into the same Garmin/GPX folder.

Note: I think this should work with any Garmin unit that utilizes a USB cable and supports GPX files.

3 minutes ago, olytreeman said:

To save a GPX file, click the "GPX File" button on a cache page or "Download GPX" from the map page.  Save the file into the "Garmin/GPX" folder as you like.  One simple plan is to select "Save As..." (for Windows IE11, others are similar), choose the "Garmin/GPX" folder on the device.  If the file is in Downloads (which is normal if you download it with various browsers), copy it to

For more than a couple of caches, you may opt to use Lists.  If you do, you'll never miss "Send To GPS" (much :D), and you'll send a bunch of hand-picked caches at once without having to worry about "where the files go".

Okay this isn't working. I hit "send to list". I created a new list and sent it to that new name. I also went into my dashboard and created the same list name there because the new list name did not appear there. When I hit send to list and put the cache in the list it shows that it has been saved. But I can't find them any where. They don't appear in my dashboard list.

I just don't understand how to do this. In my Dashboard The first thing listed is "MyLists" in bold type with a ? mark. The ? say my list are available on the Geocaching app. do I need to buy that app?    

16 minutes ago, olytreeman said:

Okay this isn't working. I hit "send to list". I created a new list and sent it to that new name. I also went into my dashboard and created the same list name there because the new list name did not appear there. When I hit send to list and put the cache in the list it shows that it has been saved. But I can't find them any where. They don't appear in my dashboard list.

I just don't understand how to do this. In my Dashboard The first thing listed is "MyLists" in bold type with a ? mark. The ? say my list are available on the Geocaching app. do I need to buy that app?    

I've sometimes had new a list not appear right away but when I checked again, it's there. Try closing the browser and opening it again. There's probably a faster way. But once it shows up I've never seen it go away.

Edited by kunarion
14 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I've sometimes had new a list not appear right away but when I checked again, it's there. Try closing the browser and opening it again. There's probably a faster way. But once it shows up I've never seen it go away.

Tried that, my new list still doesn't show up. Their new system has sure taken the fun out of this.

16 minutes ago, kunarion said:

In Windows? Which browser?

You may need the newest version of each.

I have Internet Explorer 11 I have done updates regularly on my GPS Map 64ST

when I hit "download GPX" my only option is to open, save, or save as. If I hit save or save as it just puts it as a single file in my downloads. Then I have to go to each one to put the GPX file on my Garmin. So I end up with a whole bunch of single files to add. If I try to add it to a list it shows that it was saved but I have no idea where it is. If I go into my dashboard they are not there and if I made a new list when  at the save to list spot that list does not show up in my dashboard.  When I download the GPX file I have no option to save it to my GPS right then.

What am I missing??? I am not tech savvy. 

1 hour ago, olytreeman said:

when I hit "download GPX" my only option is to open, save, or save as. If I hit save or save as it just puts it as a single file in my downloads. Then I have to go to each one to put the GPX file on my Garmin. So I end up with a whole bunch of single files to add. If I try to add it to a list it shows that it was saved but I have no idea where it is. If I go into my dashboard they are not there and if I made a new list when  at the save to list spot that list does not show up in my dashboard.  When I download the GPX file I have no option to save it to my GPS right then.

You may select all GPX files found in the downloads folder and place them onto the device at all at once. At least that's a little less work.

I haven't tried to make a new List recently and I'm not at the PC at the moment. Maybe by the time I can check it, it will be working again.

Edited by kunarion
54 minutes ago, olytreeman said:

So with the Garmin connected to your computer, when you choose Save As, doesn't it allow you to change the target location to the GPX folder on the GPS?

Cool!  Now that it seems you've figured out how to move one cache at a time to your GPS, you can now move on to loading entire lists.  If you haven't already done so, load Garmin Express on your computer and follow the instructions to add your device(s).  Once GEx is loaded, and with your GPS connected, go to your dashboard and click on "Your Lists" on the lower left side.  That should bring up a listing of your lists.  To the right of the list you wish to copy to the GPS you will see a circle with three dots in it.  Click that and then click Send to Garmin.  It will likely ask you if you want to open GEx, click yes and it should open if it wasn't open already and then give you dialog box that says Content is Ready for Download.  Click Continue and it will show a status bar for the transfer which after a few seconds should show Complete.  You can then use file manager to look in the GPX folder of the GPS and see the newly transferred list file (one .gpx file for the whole list).  Unplug the GPS and power it up.  The caches from the list should be there.

12 hours ago, olytreeman said:

Yes it does. I think with your help and everyone else's I just may have it figured out. I think everything just clicked. Give me some time I will report back. What might seem simple to some takes others longer. I still like the send to GPS option better. Thank you 

Npbody I know wanted less convenience.  Sometimes I really wonder what the plan is.

But "Send To GPS" was no longer supported, and many people arrived in the Forums as Send To GPS failed for them over the past few years.  Constantly.  It used "Garmin Communicator" which ceased being updated four years ago (an eternity in Internet time), and that plugin relied on an insecure protocol.  Your home computer could get hacked, or more likely, get weird browser plugins that you don't want.  Update your PC security, and that button stops working.

Garmin does not design cool new software for 10-year-old GPSs, it abandons them (this isn't exclusively a Garmin thing, it's everywhere, go look at "smart phones"!).  "Send To GPS" worked with even the oldest GPSs, even other brands.  Fortunately, there is software to load old GPSs, which many people started to use as Send To GPS failed.  I wouldn't automatically abandon my old GPS just because Garmin did.  But choose your battles.  I think in your case, you can load your GPS directly in many ways.  But others may try a few software ideas and see what works, or simply type coordinates for a cache or two, or find a newer GPS, used, if it's a good deal.

Edited by kunarion

I was finally able to load a list onto my GPS. This just may work better.

If I delete a list on the site with my GPS hooked up, does that remove those caches from my GPS? It would be nice to remove those caches all at once. Or should I continue to do that through Basecamp?

Now should I go in and delete the Garmin Communicator Plugin? Or is it needed for other applications? If it is no longer needed why keep it? 

Thanks again for everyone's help.

No need for Basecamp to remove caches from the GPS. The way to remove the list of caches from your GPS is to connect it to your computer and use file manager to locate the file in the unit's GPX folder and delete the file.  You also can to do this to remove caches that have been loaded individually to the GPS.  Deleting a list on your dashboard will not also delete the list on the GPS.

I almost exclusively use the Send to Garmin method to load my GPS because the caches I like to target generally don't fit well with PQs.  What I have done is created a list I call "GPS Transfers".  I add new caches to the list and delete caches that I have found or may no longer have an interest in from the list.  I do this on an on-going basis.  Each time I transfer the list, it overwrites the list on the GPS so I don't have to individually add or delete caches on my GPS.  Each individual list you have on your dashboard that is transferred to the GPS will be a unique file in the GPS so transferring a list called My Favorites will only overwrite the My Favorites list on the GPS and not any other lists you have transferred.

Now if I was the type of cacher that wanted something like "give me all the caches within 5 miles of point X" I'd definitely use PQs to load the GPS rather than the list approach.  If the caches you like to target fit well with the filtering parameters of PQs, learn how to load PQs on the unit.

Edited by icezebra11
50 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

I almost exclusively use the Send to Garmin method to load my GPS because the caches I like to target generally don't fit well with PQs.  What I have done is created a list I call "GPS Transfers".

This is similar to Project-GC's Virtual GPS that I can surgically select any cache to be added to a VGPS PQ while in GC.com or in Project-GC.com. See the bottom of the Log geocache portion of the screenshot below:

VGPS.thumb.JPG.ab94e904910126c1ef6ca644aee6da89.JPG