download gpx files to my garmin etrex i cant get anything to work please can someone help me

teamstanfield

•  
  •  

I have the same problem-have downloaded  Mytrax     but it wont sent the information from my downloads to garmin etrex gps          now tried easygps     the same as too  icache   and   gpx routes                  I love walking and geoing this has ruined the ease of just plugging in gps and transferring  it over           please can someone help

10 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

Kunarion,    Yes its me again,   still no joy at downloading,  now trying pocket querries,  but can you explain in the simplist terms,  how do I download to a  Garmin/GPX Folder,  as above advice, I hav a garmin etrex touch 25  and use a usb cable

What browser do you use? That will make a difference.

29 minutes ago, Burton wanderers said:

IE11   always used this for uploading to GPS,   Only not working since this new setup.   any more help would be appreciated, thanks

I always use IE11.  But it's out-of-date.  You may have to stop using it at some point and learn something else entirely new.  Go figure. B)

I just download a GPX or Pocket Query and it arrives in "Downloads" on my PC.  From there it's just a matter of copy-paste (or click-drag) into the GPS.  In the case of a Pocket Query, it's unzipped first.

Since you must unzip a Pocket Query, you may opt to first place any GPX file into a folder on your PC (such as the default "Downloads", then unzip as the case may be, then copy-paste into Garmin/GPX. 

You can save files directly by using "Save As" which is available when you select a file to download.  But this is all just ordinary Windows stuff.  It's not limited to Geocaching.com.

1 hour ago, Burton wanderers said:

Kunarion,    Yes its me again,   still no joy at downloading,  now trying pocket querries,  but can you explain in the simplist terms,  how do I download to a  Garmin/GPX Folder,  as above advice, I hav a garmin etrex touch 25  and use a usb cable

OK, I've set up a step-by-step thread about placing a Pocket Query into a Garmin GPS:

In order for that to work, you need to first have downloaded a Pocket Query.  But there's a whole help center article on it, so I didn't go over all of that.  I can't stress it enough (really, I tried!) that if the Help Center is too terse to use, be sure to contact Geocaching.com and do not let up until they fix that!  If you can't figure out how to get a Pocket Query onto your computer, there ya go!

Edited by kunarion
1 minute ago, Burton wanderers said:

but saves to a loc file,

That's the preview only. Download the PQ from your PQ page or with the help of the link in the confirmation email. I guess you've only created a PQ but didn't run it . A PQ has to run at least once to be ready for download.

Hans

• Helpful 1
  1. Geocaching website-have the answer to this problem. You need to create a "MY LIST" file and then send to your GPS.
  2. I had the same problem downloading to my Garmin  Etrex 30.Assuming you have not done so- In simplistic terms-Download Garmin Express latest build. Then find a cache and "ADD TO LIST".  This should send you to CREATE A "NAMED LIST". Once you have downloaded all your required caches-GO to your "MY LIST" , there you will see your caches. At the end of the LINE you will see (...) Click on that, follow the signs for SEND TO GARMIN OR YOU GPS. Open you GPS -there should be your caches. Think I,ve caught everything but this at least gives you a flying heads up hopefully. No doubt someone will improve on my little script LOL. Good caching all.
Edited by walleroos
On 09/09/2018 at 4:57 PM, walleroos said:
  1. Geocaching website-have the answer to this problem. You need to create a "MY LIST" file and then send to your GPS.
  2. I had the same problem downloading to my Garmin  Etrex 30.Assuming you have not done so- In simplistic terms-Download Garmin Express latest build. Then find a cache and "ADD TO LIST".  This should send you to CREATE A "NAMED LIST". Once you have downloaded all your required caches-GO to your "MY LIST" , there you will see your caches. At the end of the LINE you will see (...) Click on that, follow the signs for SEND TO GARMIN OR YOU GPS. Open you GPS -there should be your caches. Think I,ve caught everything but this at least gives you a flying heads up hopefully. No doubt someone will improve on my little script LOL. Good caching all.

I've just seen this thread while looking for an answer to the problem of no lists being sent. 

Garmin Express is the latest build. I added three caches to a list which I named. (...) was clicked  and I clicked 'Send to Garmin' which was of course plugged in by usb. A little circle appeared for a couple of seconds....then nothing. I open my Garmin (Oregon 700) and check my caches and nothings there.

I've used two browsers trying to do this with the same result. I've used the 'send list to Garmin' before and it has always worked. Picking individual caches and d/l them and putting them into the gpx folder still works fine.

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

I have to go out now but I will pop in again.

Sorry for late reply. I'm using windows 10. Browsers are Opera and Pale Moon.  Both of which are up to date.

Edit: Ok I think I've cracked it. Neither browser was asking me to open Garmin Express. I checked again to see if they were up to date. They both were. I un-installed Pale Moon and re-installed it. I can now d/l my lists. I'll try the same with Opera later.

Edited by peem