Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Mineral2

Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

Recommended Posts

Since there hasn't been a post here announcing this - it's official. The GPSMAP 66 series is on its way.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598455

 

  • Large, 3” sunlight-readable color display for easy viewing
  • Multiple Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) support to track your travels in more challenging environments than GPS alone plus three-axis compass and barometric altimeter
  • Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription
  • Expanded wireless connectivity supports Active Weather for up-to-date forecasts and animated weather radar and Geocaching Live for mobile syncing and updates
  • Compatible with Garmin Explore™ website and app to help you manage tracks, routes and waypoints and review statistics from the field
  • Up to 16 hours of battery life in GPS mode; 1 week in expedition mode lets you explore longer than ever before on a single set of AA batteries

 

There are some interesting advancements here. It's no surprise that the same wireless connectivity introduced in the Oregon 700 series now makes its way to the GPSMAP line. It also seems that Garmin's answer to Basecamp is to move all services to the cloud/web version with Garmin Explore.

MGNSS - Does this model support more satellite systems than just the American GPS and Russian GLONASS?

From the images, it looks like there's some changes to the physical size and layout of the device with a larger screen and higher resolution screen. And it comes with a whopping 16GB of internal storage.

 

Edited by Mineral2

Share this post


Link to post

This seems to have a bucket of features, but to answer one question, it has American GPS, Russian Glonass, and European Galileo support. So all three.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

battery life in GPS mode; 1 week in expedition mode

 

What does expedition mode do or not to get a week?

Share this post


Link to post

It really looks like a nice unit. I will be interested to read some reviews on how it performs. I wonder when it will be available here in Australia?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MtnHermit said:

 

What does expedition mode do or not to get a week?

I'm curious about that myself. I wonder if it reduces the sampling frequency.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Calypso62 said:

It really looks like a nice unit.

 

Indeed! I used the compare feature at GPSCity and while the display is noticeably larger, the case grew modestly and the weight is the same. Clearly a new design from the chip(s) on up. I wonder if they ship to Oz?

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm curious about that myself. I wonder if it reduces the sampling frequency.

 

You can see 66's manual at Garmin's site.

"In expedition mode, the screen shuts off, the device enters low power mode, and the device collects fewer GPS track points."

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap66s_st/EN-US/GUID-0A4F2614-9AF9-40D8-BE12-E8C8A0C1785E.html

Share this post


Link to post

The "66" screen spec seems to be the same as the Oregon 7** series but non touch.

Size is the same as well

 

Share this post


Link to post

It should be free. It's at least 7 YEARS out of date in my city.  Of all of the satellite image maps I have looked at (and there are many), Birdseye is the worst, and SERIOUSLY out of date.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MaliBooBoo said:

Birdseye seems to be free and not requiring a subscription now.

What makes you think this? When I try to access my Birdseye subscription for my Oregon 550 it shows as expired (in 2015). I can find no way to reactivate it ... paid or free.

 

Edit: It just occurred to me that I am still running Basecamp 4.6.2. Maybe the free Birdseye requires 4.7?

Edited by alandb
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, alandb said:

What makes you think this? When I try to access my Birdseye subscription for my Oregon 550 it shows as expired (in 2015). I can find no way to reactivate it ... paid or free.

 

Edit: It just occurred to me that I am still running Basecamp 4.6.2. Maybe the free Birdseye requires 4.7?

Straight from the info on the 66, one of its major selling points:

 

"Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription"

 

I doubt it'll be free on your 550 though. I'm afraid you'll have to buy the 66 in order to get free Birdseye.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, alandb said:

I can find no way to reactivate it ... paid or free.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/outdoor
You have to re-purchase a subscription.

My guess is that BirdsEye will function through the new Garmin Explore app or through Garmin Express and the subscription will be tied to the device's serial number much in the way that the lifetime city navigator maps are tied to the Nuvi and Drive devices.

I'm hoping that the new Garmin Explore app and web service, which  sounds like it is a web service of Basecamp, will be available for the Oregon 700. And maybe even the older models with Bluetooth (Oregon 600) - I won't hold my breath though.

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

And maybe even the older models with Bluetooth (Oregon 600) - I won't hold my breath though.

 

No chance in hell that would happen.

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Red90 said:

 

No chance in hell that would happen.

It's just a shame that the Oregon 600 was  made with connectivity in mind. But Garmin went and discontinued BaseCamp Mobile, the only link to a smartphone.

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

It's just a shame that the Oregon 600 was  made with connectivity in mind. But Garmin went and discontinued BaseCamp Mobile, the only link to a smartphone.

 

And the 64S.  Both have the hardware.  Garmin has zero motivation to add features to old devices.  It costs them money in the programming and they loose sales of new units.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Red90 said:

No chance in hell that would happen.

 

You've been saying that for a decade (or more) and you've been consistently correct. The hope here is for customer loyalty, something Garmin doesn't understand. Garmin needs to take a page out of the Tesla playbook.

Share this post


Link to post

Garmin does have a precedent in the automotive series for changing a paid subscription service to free ... Smartphone Link Traffic. And in that case, they did extend the free subscription to older devices that previously had to pay.  But I doubt that will happen with BirdsEye.

 

The thing I can't figure out is why it no longer seems possible to get a paid Birdseye subscription for my old Oregon 550. Whether I try through BaseCamp or My Maps on my.garmin.com, I get a "link not found" error.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, alandb said:

Garmin does have a precedent in the automotive series for changing a paid subscription service to free ... Smartphone Link Traffic. And in that case, they did extend the free subscription to older devices that previously had to pay.  But I doubt that will happen with BirdsEye.

 

The thing I can't figure out is why it no longer seems possible to get a paid Birdseye subscription for my old Oregon 550. Whether I try through BaseCamp or My Maps on my.garmin.com, I get a "link not found" error.

Did you go to the link above to purchase a birdseye subscription?

Share this post


Link to post

I think this may be a good replacement for my old declining 60CSx, but s or st?  I have looked at some of the other newer Garmins but am partial to buttons on my GPSR for some reason.  I love the touchscreen on my smartphones though.  I do load 3rd party maps onto my 60CSx and would do the same on a new unit so not sure if getting the st is worth the extra $ if maps can be loaded on the s?  Seems to be back order or pre orders, so I guess it will be a while before power users get their hands on it and provide some informative reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

I think this may be a good replacement for my old declining 60CSx, but s or st?  I have looked at some of the other newer Garmins but am partial to buttons on my GPSR for some reason.  I love the touchscreen on my smartphones though.  I do load 3rd party maps onto my 60CSx and would do the same on a new unit so not sure if getting the st is worth the extra $ if maps can be loaded on the s?  Seems to be back order or pre orders, so I guess it will be a while before power users get their hands on it and provide some informative reviews.

They 66s and 66st both ship with 16GB of usable RAM, while the ST will use some of that memory for the topo map. You can load your maps to either unit like previous Garmin units.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

They 66s and 66st both ship with 16GB of usable RAM, while the ST will use some of that memory for the topo map. You can load your maps to either unit like previous Garmin units.

 

Thanks!  So with the ST if you wanted to load a different topo map, you could turn off the topo map that comes with the ST.

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

 

Thanks!  So with the ST if you wanted to load a different topo map, you could turn off the topo map that comes with the ST.

Yes, you would be able to turn the preloaded map off.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

 

Thanks!  So with the ST if you wanted to load a different topo map, you could turn off the topo map that comes with the ST.

Yes. Though most maps you add will simply draw on top of the topo base map.

Share this post


Link to post

Great.  Can't wait for the brave souls that go first to give their reviews of not only the unit but the version one firmware.  It is that initial firmware/software with all the usual bugs that makes me very hesitant to get any tech item when it is first released.  Although I have been very happy with my Pixel phones right from the start.

Share this post


Link to post

It probably won't be very buggy as it is identical to the Oregon 700 but with buttons instead of a touchscreen.  The other features are the same.

Share this post


Link to post

Really. Exactly the same as the 700 except for the touchscreen?  Thanks, I did not think that and will have to look at the specs on both myself.

Edited by Cheminer Will

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Red90 said:

It probably won't be very buggy as it is identical to the Oregon 700 but with buttons instead of a touchscreen.  The other features are the same.

 

No, not exactly like the Oregon 7x0. Quite a few differences, actually. Many improvements, as well as a few features that did not make the transfer.... Definitely not the same.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

 

No, not exactly like the Oregon 7x0. Quite a few differences, actually. Many improvements, as well as a few features that did not make the transfer.... Definitely not the same.

That is what I thought although I don't follow what you mean by "a few features that did not make the transfer"?  I may be a little dense this morning but if you could elaborate on that I would be grateful.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/15/2018 at 6:52 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Quite a few differences, actually. Many improvements, as well as a few features that did not make the transfer

 

Like what?  There are always a few minor things, but 95% of the features are the same.  I'll pretty much guarantee, 99% of the code is the same with a few variations.

 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=598455&compareProduct=550460

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Red90 said:

 

Like what?  There are always a few minor things, but 95% of the features are the same.  I'll pretty much guarantee, 99% of the code is the same with a few variations.

 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=598455&compareProduct=550460

 

- multi-GNSS

-free Birdseye

-16gb memory

- MIL STD 810G ruggedness for thermal, shock and water performance

- RINEX Logging: yes

- 1 week in expedition mode

- compatible with night vision goggles

 

The Oregon can come with a camera, currently a 66 cannot.

Edited by MaliBooBoo
added a couple of items

Share this post


Link to post

I was discussing unit software reliability.  Nothing in the list is more than a minor change to the unit software.  Even then, the rest of the list is pretty minor.

 

- multi-GNSS

This is in the GPS chip itself.  No affect on the unit software.


-free Birdseye

-16 gb memory (this and the expedition mode are the only actual useful changes...)

- MIL STD 810G ruggedness for thermal, shock and water performance (marketing crapola...)

- compatible with night vision goggles

Nothing to do with the unit software

 

- RINEX Logging: yes

1 week in expedition mode

Pretty much this is the only change, which is a minor software tweak they could add to the Oregon if they withed.

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, Cheminer Will said:

Really. Exactly the same as the 700 except for the touchscreen?  Thanks, I did not think that and will have to look at the specs on both myself.

 

Also, the Oregon series uses an internal patch antenna (has been through many revisions and refinements) while the GPSMAP has the much loved and hihgly desired external quad-helix GPS antenna.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I've seen no performance difference between the different modern antennas, so personally I think it is not something to worry about.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Red90 said:

I've seen no performance difference between the different modern antennas, so personally I think it is not something to worry about.

IIRC, the patch antenna was on the front of the 450 (which makes sense if you're holding it screen-up in your hand), but it's on the back of the 600 (and possibly the 700). I noticed performance differences almost immediately when I upgraded. I can see the EPE improve if I flip the 600 upside-down and worsen if I flip it back upright. Unfortunately, carrying it upside-down isn't very convenient, so I usually live with the decreased performance.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6

×