Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 16
Mineral2

Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

The PN-60 that I used to use did just that: updating the coordinates just moves the cache. I always thought that was kinda klunky, and I'd heard garmins had a more elegant way of handing stages. I was looking forward to how much better it would be. So I'm disappointed that it really doesn't do anything that's functionally any different and, instead, just adds additional deficiencies and complications to what boils down to the same capability.

 

That is essentially what Garmin GPSr do for Next Stage functionality.

When you enter Next Stage coordinates, a new 'Next Stage' geocache is added to the geocache list with those coordinates, but any time you select it, you will actually be accessing the original Geocache, with all of the original information, all the while navigating to the 'Next Stage' coordinates. 

 

Each 'Next Stage' you enter does not add a new 'Next Stage' geocache, but rather updates the one and only 'Next Stage' geocache, which still always references the original Geocache data when selected.  This is why we 'Save' each 'Next Stage' as a waypoint for future reference, should we desire to do so. Especially handy when you are solving puzzles in the field and don't want to have to do the math again should you have to backtrack a stage or two!

 

Drop some Custom Symbols into your GPSMAP 66 and you can edit your 'Next Stage' waypoints to be distinct and easy to locate on the map or in the waypoint manager!

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, Atlas Cached said:

That is essentially what Garmin GPSr do for Next Stage functionality.

Right, that's what I said. It's the same functionality, except worse because they've made it a separate thing, so there can only be one of them, and it's not named in a way that tells me which cache it's the next stage of.

 

Yes, it seems as if remembering the next stages manually as waypoints might be a little easier since I'd have to set the coordinates manually to create such a waypoint on the PN-60, but I still haven't figured out how to do that on the 66st because the instructions you pointed to for the other kind of GPSr don't seem to correlate with anything in the 66st interface.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, Atlas Cached said:

I never said you were impatient or ignorant. Someone else injected that verbiage.

 

On 3/6/2019 at 6:06 PM, Atlas Cached said:

Absolutely - but why complain so loudly instead of putting your effort into learning the device?

 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Right, that's what I said. It's the same functionality, except worse because they've made it a separate thing, so there can only be one of them, and it's not named in a way that tells me which cache it's the next stage of.

 

Yes, it seems as if remembering the next stages manually as waypoints might be a little easier since I'd have to set the coordinates manually to create such a waypoint on the PN-60, but I still haven't figured out how to do that on the 66st because the instructions you pointed to for the other kind of GPSr don't seem to correlate with anything in the 66st interface.

 

Why are you making this so hard on yourself?

 

The information you seek is there in great detail, as I previously stated:

 

On 3/7/2019 at 5:15 PM, Atlas Cached said:

 

The entire procedure is now available on the GPSMAP 66 Geocaching Page, with even more detail!

 

8^)

 

You can lead a horse to water.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, dprovan said:
  On 3/7/2019 at 5:22 PM, Atlas Cached said:

I never said you were impatient or ignorant. Someone else injected that verbiage.

 

  On 3/6/2019 at 7:06 PM, Atlas Cached said:

Absolutely - but why complain so loudly instead of putting your effort into learning the device?

 

Interesting that your quotes above are missing the supporting information I posted with them originally, making it quite clear to me you are only here to argue, and not seeking help.

 

This is my final response to you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Atlas Cached said:

 

It is the same for the GPSMAP 66. (Garmin is not reinventing features and functions that already work)

 

FYI: The Geocache dashboard Pointer ALWAYS points to one of three things:

 

1. If not navigating to a geocache (or Next Stage), the pointer points to the nearest Geocache. (helps you not accidentally miss any nearby geocaches)

 

On the 64s I have, when I have Geocaching profile enabled, and 4 data fields, the first is set to pointer, and there is nothing there. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On 3/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Atlas Cached said:

2. If navigating to a geocache, the pointer points toward that geocache. (helps direct you to the geocache you have selected)

3. If navigating to a Next Stage, the pointer points to the Next Stage Coordinates. (help direct you to the selected Next Stage)

 

If you are navigating to any other waypoint, POI, etc., the Geocache Dashboard performs as described in #1 above.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, grateful cacher said:

 

On the 64s I have, when I have Geocaching profile enabled, and 4 data fields, the first is set to pointer, and there is nothing there. 

 

 

1. The profile enabled is irrelevant. There is nothing different from one to the next other than those settings which have been altered. Any profile can be just as capable as any other profile. They are each simply just a collection of settings.

 

2. Have you read the functional description for that data field?

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 1:15 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Interesting that your quotes above are missing the supporting information I posted with them originally, making it quite clear to me you are only here to argue, and not seeking help.

 

This is my final response to you.

I can't tell you how I'm sorry I am that you feel that way. There's no possible response I can make since I very nearly quoted the entirety of both posts, and neither had any technical content, so I have no way of knowing what it is you think I'm ignoring. At every step, I've tried to be responsive, but obviously you don't believe that.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 9:29 AM, dprovan said:

Right, that's what I said. It's the same functionality, except worse because they've made it a separate thing, so there can only be one of them, and it's not named in a way that tells me which cache it's the next stage of.

Create a waypoint from the Next Stage coordinates as described multiple times before. The GPSmap 66 is able to automatically give a prefix to the waypoint name when saving it.The prefix might be the caches core code (you name it - its part of the unit's settings).

 

Hans

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, HHL said:
On 3/10/2019 at 12:29 AM, dprovan said:

Right, that's what I said. It's the same functionality, except worse because they've made it a separate thing, so there can only be one of them, and it's not named in a way that tells me which cache it's the next stage of.

Create a waypoint from the Next Stage coordinates as described multiple times before. The GPSmap 66 is able to automatically give a prefix to the waypoint name when saving it.The prefix might be the caches core code (you name it - its part of the unit's settings).

I'm not sure why you say it was described before. A pointer was given to another unrelated unit's way of saving the next stage as a waypoint, but if anyone described or pointed to the way to do if for the 66's, I didn't see it. Eventually I found the 66's equivalent, though, so I'm caught up on that now.

 

 But my 66 doesn't offer me a way to prefix the waypoint when I'm saving it, so I think you're talking about setting a global prefix, right? I don't understand how that helps me. What does "caches core code" mean? Is there a way to set the global prefix to include whatever cache name I'm working with at the time I drop the waypoint?

 

Thanks for the help. I hope my questions don't appear too stupid, 'cuz apparently I've had that problem before with another garmin expert.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, dprovan said:

But my 66 doesn't offer me a way to prefix the waypoint when I'm saving it

Define it beforehand. Say, just before doing a multi cache you should define the prefix/suffix. That way, all your saved "Next Stage" waypoints will get it (the core code, as the name obvisiouly says, is the GCcode without the GC prefix).

gpsmap66s-wegpunkte.png  garmin-gpsmap-66-waypoints-2.png

 

Hans

Edited by HHL
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/10/2019 at 8:13 PM, Atlas Cached said:

 

1. The profile enabled is irrelevant. There is nothing different from one to the next other than those settings which have been altered. Any profile can be just as capable as any other profile. They are each simply just a collection of settings.

 

2. Have you read the functional description for that data field?

 

I was basing my comment on what you stated about the action of the pointer, that it points to the nearest geocache so that the closest one isn't missed. On my 64s, the pointer is only active when I have a geocache selected.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, grateful cacher said:

 

I was basing my comment on what you stated about the action of the pointer, that it points to the nearest geocache so that the closest one isn't missed. On my 64s, the pointer is only active when I have a geocache selected.

 

 

 

That is the behavior of the compass pointer in the Geocaching Dashboard, but not the pointer data field. This is why I asked if you had read the description for that data field, then you could have answered your own question!

 

It sounds like your 64s is functioning properly.

  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/6/2019 at 3:52 PM, Atlas Cached said:

 

OK, sounds to me like you are not allowing enough time for your GPSMAP 66 to clear the old database and freshly index the freshly loaded 70+ PQs!!

 

Just a follow up to loading my PQs on the 66s. I've purchased a new 64s that I got Saturday (I had sold my old one when I got the 66s). When I load my 70+ PQs on it, using the drag'n'drop method, it takes about 6-7 minutes for it to Load Waypoints, Tracks, and Routes (I'm doing it now). The progress bar moves, and it doesn't freeze. When I tried the same process on the 66s, the progress bar would never update, and the unit would not power off, the only thing I could do was to pull the batteries to shut it off.

 

I never got a chance to do the SQL thing that you asked, I returned the 66s to Garmin, they are sending me a brand new 66s to replace the one I purchased. They will even let me transfer the City Navigator purchase to the new one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, HHL said:

Define it beforehand. Say, just before doing a multi cache you should define the prefix/suffix.

OK, thanks. Way too complicated for my tastes, but I guess I have to get used to it since I'm starting to notice many of the things I think are problems, experienced garmin users deal with by changing the setup on the fly.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

 

That is the behavior of the compass pointer in the Geocaching Dashboard, but not the pointer data field. This is why I asked if you had read the description for that data field, then you could have answered your own question!

 

It sounds like your 64s is functioning properly.

 

I'm confused when you say compass pointer. Is that one of the data fields? Is that the arrow that is on the map proper? Not wanting to sound obtuse, just trying to understand the way it works.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, grateful cacher said:

 

I'm confused when you say compass pointer. Is that one of the data fields? Is that the arrow that is on the map proper? Not wanting to sound obtuse, just trying to understand the way it works.

 

 

1. The compass pointer is the arrow or pointer that is displayed inside the compass ring, be it in the Compass page, the Compass dashboard, or the Geocaching dashboard.

2. No, the compass pointer is not a data field. There is a Pointer data field: "An arrow points in the direction of the next waypoint or turn. You must be navigating for this data to appear."

3. The arrow on the Map Page is the North Arrow, which indicates which direction is North, like any paper map. This arrow is not displayed when the map page is set to display as 'North Up'.

 

Does that help?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, dprovan said:

experienced garmin users deal with by changing the setup on the fly.

Experienced users do not change the setup on the fly - they change pre formatted profiles on the fly. They do it (at least I do it that way) by creating a short cut and allocate to a unit's button.

 

Hans

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, grateful cacher said:

I'm confused when you say compass pointer.

Compass pointer:

oregon-700-kompass-gross.png

Data field pointer (in dashboard "Small Data Fields" on map):

oregon700-karte-kleine-datenfelder.png

Compass Pointer (in dashboard "Compass" on map):

oregon700-karte-kompass.png

 

Hans

 

(c) All screenshots by www.navigation-professionell.de

 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

And don't forget the compass pointer on the Geocache dashboard:

DB%20Disable%2001.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, HHL said:

Experienced users do not change the setup on the fly - they change pre formatted profiles on the fly. They do it (at least I do it that way) by creating a short cut and allocate to a unit's button.

I don't understand. Are you saying you'd set up a profile in order to set the waypoint prefix to match the name of a specific multicache you're going to look for? That's the example I was talking about.

Share this post


Link to post

As far as I know, waypoint prefixes and suffixes are new to the Garmin ecosystem with the 66. Such ability didn't exist in previous models. I don't think even the Oregon 700 has this feature.

Share this post


Link to post

Must admit I am finding this discussion fascinating -- I have come from an etrex 20 to the 66s and frankly am totally confused.  Downloaded the manual which I found useless.  While it is great that there are experienced technical folk out there willing to help a) I feel Garmin should get their act together and provide a decent user manual b)  it is good that there are many folk on this forum willing to help - but reading the posts above I suspect some of you don't realise how hard this is for those of us who are of perfectly normal, average or above intelligence but simply don't have the experience or knowledge of garmin and similar thought processes (ie we really haven;'t the foggiest idea what half the vocab means or what the menu selections are supposed to do or not do)

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Wild-Skye said:

Must admit I am finding this discussion fascinating -- I have come from an etrex 20 to the 66s and frankly am totally confused.  Downloaded the manual which I found useless.  While it is great that there are experienced technical folk out there willing to help a) I feel Garmin should get their act together and provide a decent user manual b)  it is good that there are many folk on this forum willing to help - but reading the posts above I suspect some of you don't realise how hard this is for those of us who are of perfectly normal, average or above intelligence but simply don't have the experience or knowledge of garmin and similar thought processes (ie we really haven;'t the foggiest idea what half the vocab means or what the menu selections are supposed to do or not do)

 

 

This site has helped me a lot with the 66s....

https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66/index.htm

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/12/2019 at 12:57 PM, Mineral2 said:

And don't forget the compass pointer on the Geocache dashboard:

DB%20Disable%2001.png

 

 

 

I see my error now. I wasn't using the Geocache dashboard, I was using 4 small data fields. Now the display looks similar to the one on the 66s.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Is anyone else experiencing the total failure of "search near"? I'm running 2.50 and it doesn't work searching for a cache in Geocaching Live, in simply searching near a recent find or map point, etc. I only get results centered on my current location. This is quite frustrating. Garmin seemingly cannot duplicate or help with my issues. I tried a friend's 66s also running 2.50 and "search near" worked fine.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Is anyone else experiencing the total failure of "search near"? I'm running 2.50 and it doesn't work searching for a cache in Geocaching Live, in simply searching near a recent find or map point, etc. I only get results centered on my current location. This is quite frustrating. Garmin seemingly cannot duplicate or help with my issues. I tried a friend's 66s also running 2.50 and "search near" worked fine.

 

Have you tried this function on more than one profile on your 66?

 

Have you performed a hard reset?

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, it's been hard reset more than once, and it fails the same way in several profiles. 

 

I've been in contact with Garmin about the various bugs (mostly Geocaching Live, plus this one) and they requested my Garmin folder which I sent... last I knew, they just said they couldn't duplicate my issues. I had the same problems before 2.50 so they requested I update, which I did... no change.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Yes, it's been hard reset more than once, and it fails the same way in several profiles. 

 

I've been in contact with Garmin about the various bugs (mostly Geocaching Live, plus this one) and they requested my Garmin folder which I sent... last I knew, they just said they couldn't duplicate my issues. I had the same problems before 2.50 so they requested I update, which I did... no change.

 

I suspect another big update will be out soon for that unit. Hopefully that will clear up most remaining bugs for those units!

Share this post


Link to post

I sure hope so. I would imagine it's hard for them to fix what they can't duplicate. I really like the unit overall, but many of the reasons I splurged on it aren't working correctly.... not that "search near" is an advanced feature, my eTrex 20 and Oregon 400 do that well. The live features used with wifi (I have no phone) were quite important to me.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

I sure hope so. I would imagine it's hard for them to fix what they can't duplicate. I really like the unit overall, but many of the reasons I splurged on it aren't working correctly.... not that "search near" is an advanced feature, my eTrex 20 and Oregon 400 do that well. The live features used with wifi (I have no phone) were quite important to me.

 

Wow, you don't have a mobile phone?

 

The connected features are a large part of what make this unit my favorite thus far. Although, the Oregon 7x0 have a couple features I wish the GPSMAP 66 had, but it is a much more mature unit. I do still prefer touch screen units over clicky buttons, but....

Share this post


Link to post

Nope, no phone. Because of that, I really like that I can pull into the garage, or visit a coffee shop when I'm on the road, and download a new cache...  it's so quick to load, grab satellites, and pan/redraw the map, and super accurate without much bounce. I like the buttons although I'm good with a touchscreen too.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Nope, no phone. Because of that, I really like that I can pull into the garage, or visit a coffee shop when I'm on the road, and download a new cache...  it's so quick to load, grab satellites, and pan/redraw the map, and super accurate without much bounce. I like the buttons although I'm good with a touchscreen too.

 

Have you loaded a "Free WiFi Locations" POI file so your GPSr can guide you to the closest free WiFi hotspot yet?  8^)

Share this post


Link to post

No, that sounds amazing, though! I'd love to know where to get that... I don't use GSAK as I'm a Machead.

 

I did just hear back from Garmin and they want to exchange my device. I'm very torn.... I have some money into the device in the form of a quality screen protector, and hours of effort setting up profiles, maps, etc. I know I can back some of that up, but am also hesitant to move a problem to the new device. Who knows if the new one would have the same, or different issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

No, that sounds amazing, though! I'd love to know where to get that... I don't use GSAK as I'm a Machead.

 

I did just hear back from Garmin and they want to exchange my device. I'm very torn.... I have some money into the device in the form of a quality screen protector, and hours of effort setting up profiles, maps, etc. I know I can back some of that up, but am also hesitant to move a problem to the new device. Who knows if the new one would have the same, or different issues...

 

I would suggest taking a rain check on that offer....

 

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation  > POI for a whole list of POI sources and information on how to get them into your GPSr!

 

Here is an excellent Free WiFi source!

 

 

Edited by Atlas Cached

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, I will check that out. Great idea-usually I use trial and error if I don't see a known chain offering wifi nearby.

 

Some of my issues aren't addressed in GPSrchive...

 

I'd really like it to work correctly, but it seems everything that's not working right relates to software... so shouldn't require a replacement. But, I bought it new, the most I've ever spent on a device, and it's solely an upgrade because of some of the new features... that are not all working.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Thanks, I will check that out. Great idea-usually I use trial and error if I don't see a known chain offering wifi nearby.

 

Some of my issues aren't addressed in GPSrchive...

 

I'd really like it to work correctly, but it seems everything that's not working right relates to software... so shouldn't require a replacement. But, I bought it new, the most I've ever spent on a device, and it's solely an upgrade because of some of the new features... that are not all working.

 

Well feel free to ask here or there (in the forum) if you have questions that are not answered!

 

The MAP 66 is an exceptional value, for what it is and what it can do, especially when compares to previous units that cost more and had fewer features!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Okay-I think I have bugs vs. questions but here goes.

 

"search near" doesn't work at all.

 

When I download a cache using Geocaching Live, I often find that once I'm offline, the cache only shows up in "recent finds". It's no time on the map or list of caches. I can navigate to it and view its stats, but can't view more than that one cache on the map. For example, I downloaded 5 caches that weren't in my PQ, and they didn't show up on the map together. I could only see one on the map at a time and had to go through Recent Finds to do so. If not navigating, none were on the map-only caches in the PQ. 

 

"Search near" using geocaching live doesn't display caches I don't have downloaded already. I tried to use this to download caches just past my PQ coverage, before updating to 2.50, and I guess "near" did work then because I saw caches in the area that were in my PQ, but not outside it. I was online successfully and able to download those "edge" caches via GC code.

 

I feel like there was another problem, but I can't find my notes on it.

 

Everyone I know who uses this device wants an option to remove the fourth digit after the decimal (go back to xx.xxx), but I can see that's well known.

 

I do love using this device, it's really a treat. I've tweaked a few things to make it work more smoothly, which have made it even better (for instance, adding a Geocaching page to save clicks when seeking a hint). I'd have a hard time giving it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Okay-I think I have bugs vs. questions but here goes.

 

"search near" doesn't work at all.

 

When I download a cache using Geocaching Live, I often find that once I'm offline, the cache only shows up in "recent finds". It's no time on the map or list of caches. I can navigate to it and view its stats, but can't view more than that one cache on the map. For example, I downloaded 5 caches that weren't in my PQ, and they didn't show up on the map together. I could only see one on the map at a time and had to go through Recent Finds to do so. If not navigating, none were on the map-only caches in the PQ.

 

If I may ask, how exactly are you downloading these individual caches via GCLive? By GC Code? Or?

 

I have reported this bug and believe they are working on resolving it, you are not the only person to experience this behavior!

 

Edited by Atlas Cached

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Okay-I think I have bugs vs. questions but here goes.

 

"Search near" using geocaching live doesn't display caches I don't have downloaded already. I tried to use this to download caches just past my PQ coverage, before updating to 2.50, and I guess "near" did work then because I saw caches in the area that were in my PQ, but not outside it. I was online successfully and able to download those "edge" caches via GC code.

 

I'll do some testing on this and see what I can reproduce....

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Okay-I think I have bugs vs. questions but here goes.

 

Everyone I know who uses this device wants an option to remove the fourth digit after the decimal (go back to xx.xxx), but I can see that's well known.

 

 

Garmin is aware, but only time will tell if they give that as a new option in future updates....

Share this post


Link to post

Hello forum members. (I apologize in advance for spelling, - English is not my native language, I write and translate text using Google).
I have a question for Atlas Cached.
I read all the posts in this thread. Some people buy "66" and are tired of problems with it - sell it, some people continue to use it, given the shortcomings in the firmware, some people just do not know how to use it. In general, the impression of the device is this - buggy and works simultaneously.
I have a question for Atlas Cached, as for an experienced user of Garmin devices, and for the owner of two “66” models and judging by the photos of a bunch of different GPS. Can you recommend this device to purchase? Are the existing drawbacks of the device in real life in the campaign?

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

 

If I may ask, how exactly are you downloading these individual caches via GCLive? By GC Code? Or?

 

I have reported this bug and believe they are working on resolving it, you are not the only person to experience this behavior!

 

I've downloaded by GC code since "search near" hasn't worked.

 

It makes me feel a lot better to hear that others have had this problem. Garmin led me to believe I was the only one, and not naving it on GPSrChive cemented that thought.

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation  > POI for a whole list of POI sources and information on how to get them into your GPSr!

 

Here is an excellent Free WiFi source!

This is great, but do they differentiate captive portals from other WiFi? I was really disappointed when I tried to connect to a Starbucks Wifi, but the 66 couldn't handle it because the WiFi wants to talk to a browser before it will let the device get through to the Internet. Or is there a way around that?

Share this post


Link to post

I was afraid that would be a problem at Dunkin' Donuts which does the same thing (you have to hit "agree" before they let you onto the wifi) but it hasn't-the 66s hops right on. It's great. But yes, I'd love to know which ones won't allow it online...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

I was afraid that would be a problem at Dunkin' Donuts which does the same thing (you have to hit "agree" before they let you onto the wifi) but it hasn't-the 66s hops right on. It's great. But yes, I'd love to know which ones won't allow it online...

 

Someone maybe needs to compile a list of 'Free WiFi' vs 'Open WiFi' locations and submit those to the POI factory for others to enjoy?

 

I found the original Garmin Oregon x00 wiki so useful that I couldn't help myself from creating one for the Montana. Then the Oregon 6x0. Then the Oregon 7x0. And now GPSrChive..... Which I am always working on adding material to.....

 

Edited by Atlas Cached

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, so today I developed a Very Bad problem that I've seen my friends experience. The device crashed (I was looking at POIs) and when it came back up, it had NO geocaches. Four PQs, about 3800 caches, were on it, and all were showing up before the crash. This one really needs to be addressed-I'll send it to Garmin too. My friend was out of state and had a crash, cutting his caching trip short when he realized he had zero caches on his device after restarting.

Share this post


Link to post

When this happens, it's usually a corrupted database. If your friend (or you) is loading PQ's the old-fashioned way - downloading them to the device, the fix was to store them on a SD card. Remove the card, boot up, replace the card boot up.

If your friend (or you) is downloading the caches via the direct download (GC Live), then just re-download the PQs. Of course this may not guarantee recovery of the geocaches, but worth a try.

The best thing you can do, if you can get to a computer, is to connect and delete the SQL folder. This deletes the database files, which will be rebuilt upon next boot.

Granted, this issue hasn't shown up on recent devices much, so I'm surprised to see it come back. But not surprised if the issue is with Live downloaded caches.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I've never had this issue come up after successfully accessing those geocaches, on another device ... I do have occasional episodes of having to reload PQs after deleting, emptying trash, and restarting the empty GPSr, because the caches aren't showing up from the start, but none of the other Garmins have "lost" their PQs. I can see if my SD card has room for the GPX files (I have a lot of maps)... but this really stinks.

 

When this comes up, a computer won't be available. It's when we are using devices out somewhere-I've never had a crash in my house. I don't have Geocaching Live when out, either, as I have no phone.

 

The caches were loaded the old fashioned way, with a cable and GPX files.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 16

×