Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

Mineral2

57 minutes ago, Geoticca said:

Does anyone have infos if the programmers of gpsmap66 are still alive?

there are waiting more then 70 (!!!) Bugs to be solved

https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66/Common Issues.html

since a lot of months

Your counting is off. The bugs in green have been addressed and fixed. Bugs in orange are currently being fixed, or on the to-do list. Bugs in red Garmin has yet to verify. Keep in mind that gpsRchive is a community (or single user) run resource and is not an official Garmin information, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of the software engineers and/or project managers know about the page and check it against their internal knowledgebase.

Nov 17, 2019 Thanks for the information.  I did not realize the extent of GPS66 problems.  I'll buy one when it gets more stable.

Feb 22, 2020  How is the quality of the GPS66 now??  Garmin could do themselves some good by releasing an update newsletter, etc.  I hear nothing from them.

Edited by PeoriaBill
16 hours ago, Geoticca said:

The 60csx had a better firmware (with accuracy circle)

Sorry, but the 60CSX had a million bugs when it came out as well.  Why do you want an accuracy circle?  It is just a made up number.

The 62 programming started a decade earlier with the Colorado.  It is across all the handhelds since then.

Edited by Red90
6 hours ago, _Art_ said:

The accuracy circle is just a graphic circle with translated radius of the accuracy reported by the GPS module. Did Garmin produce the GPS module for the early models of 60CSx?

Actually the accuracy circle is not that.  Is is a combined map and GPS accuracy.  Garmin did not make the GPS on that model.

That depends on your model. For the monochrome legend just prior, it’s your projected horizontal accuracy.

For 60 series, additionally map resolution, but that is constant, at least across a tile, so horizontal accuracy is the only variable that should change the radius.

Or are you saying the estimated horizontal accuracy from the GPS module is bunk?

I don’t recall ever watching NMEA while looking at that, but don’t remember thinking it was silly either.

It always seemed to decrease it’s radius as the position danced about (as they still do) finding a better position.

I have owned my 60CSx since 2006, my 62S for several years and now I would like to upgrade to a bigger screened unit.  I read the first several pages of this thread just to get a feel for hwat people think.  After that I went looking at the pricing on the thing.  

I bought the 62S because it has the caching information that is transferred to the unit when I use GSAK.   I dislike the 62S for a few reasons, one being battery life the other being calibrating the compass. 

I did notice on a website that the 66S comes with preloaded geocaches?  I hope that these can be deleted.    On my old 60CSx I could delete geocaches 1 at a time,  on my 62S I cant. What about this machine, can they be deleted singularly in the field?

I only use handheld GPS's for geocaching.   Would this be a good step up?

Absolutely. The GPSMAP 66 is the finest pushbutton Geocaching device currently available.

If it does come preloaded with geocaches they are all removed by deleting the preload.ggz file on the device.

No modern Garmin GPSr allows for deleting individual geocaches on the device. The only reason this could be done on the 60 series is because they were stored as waypoints on those devices, and waypoints can always be deleted by the user. However, the GPSMAP 66 will allow you to enable or disable individual GPX and GGZ geicache files as desired....

7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

No modern Garmin GPSr allows for deleting individual geocaches on the device.

The only reason this could be done on the 60 series is because they were stored as waypoints on those devices, and waypoints can always be deleted by the user. However, the GPSMAP 66 will allow you to enable or disable individual GPX and GGZ geicache files as desired....

Wow.  Thanks for that.  :)    Just like Berta Nick Zoey, I've deleted each cache after I find it since starting.

Knowing that, since most my finds are single caches or one series in a day, I'll be sticking with the 60csx.  Luckily have a couple spares too.

40 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Wow.  Thanks for that.  :)    Just like Berta Nick Zoey, I've deleted each cache after I find it since starting.

Knowing that, since most my finds are single caches or one series in a day, I'll be sticking with the 60csx.  Luckily have a couple spares too.

I mean... it's important to realize that after the 60csx, caches are handled differently. They're no longer just waypoints, which allows them to be filtered. I don't know why Garmin chose not to allow users to delete caches from the device, but on modern devices, it's pretty much a non-issue given that there are no longer any limits on the number of caches you can have and that cache files utilize a negligible amount of available storage space on the device or a card that you choose to add on.

I'm just looking for an excuse to treat myself to a new GPS.   And since I cant see as good as I used to, a bigger screen may be the ticket.  Is the 66 series as hard to calibrate the compass with the 3 axis compasses the now use.  Also, one thing I notices, just occasionally with my 62S is that the compass is sluggish compared to the 60 CSx when they are side by side.  Even the distance to the cache is slower.  I do realize that you have to be moving in order for these things to work properly.

• Upvote 1

Its interesting over the years how, I found it so important to have city navigator on my 60CSx machines.  Even on my 62S  I bought it.    When we go caching,  I load the database on my Nuvi using GSAK.  We navigate using the Nuvi, so now I have to kick myself for having spent money on City Navigator since we don't need or use it.  

• Upvote 1

I’ve always had a cheap Garmin Nuvi for the car. At this time, an old Nuvi 42 worth $100.

Never thought to stick a top map card in it until now.

It turns out in practice far more capable than my 66. I can’t make it crash!

Not a useful battery or form for mobile use. Even landscape orientation is not ideal for hiking, but the software is good.

141110958_ScreenShot2020-08-29at6_11_47am.thumb.jpg.53ac2dfb783c4d71e37eb6fb26230cc0.jpg

Edited by _Art_

I didnt pay attention, I guess to what I was ordering. I thought I bought the 66s and when I opened the box it was the66ST. Which was 10 dollars cheaper than the 66S.  

When I opened the back of the unit, I expected to see some sort of cradle for the batteries which depresses the button.  I have since forgotten the purpose of that button.

So, its time to fire it up and see what I don't understand.

I've tried to search, but; What are the main pros and cons between the 66st and 66sr? On the great link above, there is no mention of the sr version. Searching on Amazon here in Spain,  I don't see the st version, only the sr on and it is over 500 €... Is it worth it over the s version? I mean the main difference between those are the topo maps, which can be dl'ed from other sources, right? Or have I missed something else crucial?

5 hours ago, Vidfamne said:

I've tried to search, but; What are the main pros and cons between the 66st and 66sr? On the great link above, there is no mention of the sr version. 

Did you click on 'Related'? (I suspect no....)

Try this... (good thing it wasn't a snake!)

Searching on Amazon here in Spain,  I don't see the st version, only the sr on and it is over 500 €... Is it worth it over the s version?

I have both. I barely touch the 66s/st now. I always take the 66sr with me.

I mean the main difference between those are the topo maps, which can be dl'ed from other sources, right? 

Nope. Satellite signal access is far superior on the 66sr, as is the precision and accuracy. And, no, the TopoActive maps can not be downloaded anywhere else. They can be purchased separately from Garmin for any other handheld, but only the preloaded GPSr include lifetime updates (2x a year)

Or have I missed something else crucial?

You've missed everything crucial.

Read about all the differences using the links you have been provided....

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
44 minutes ago, Berta Nick Zoey said:

I don't feel like searching through 11 pages of posts so I'll just ask a question.

When walking towards a cache (the last 100 or less feet)  my compass is very jittery.   it swings off center quite a bit both ways.  

The Software Version is 7.60 and the GPS software version is 2.80

This is a statement, not a question, and I don't feel like searching through 11 pages of posts to find any potential supporting information for someone who can not be bothered to do the same. 

7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

This is a statement, not a question, and I don't feel like searching through 11 pages of posts to find any potential supporting information for someone who can not be bothered to do the same. 

8 hours ago, Berta Nick Zoey said:

I don't feel like searching through 11 pages of posts so I'll just ask a question.

When walking towards a cache (the last 100 or less feet)  my compass is very jittery.   it swings off center quite a bit both ways.  

... or to start a new thread.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Obviously the question is, "Is this normal or is there a known fix?" I figured that out without reading anything but the post.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, Berta Nick Zoey said:

I've seen the same thing, and just stop for a moment and it settles down.  Generally the swings are equal to both side of the direction I want, so I just keep heading towards the middle of the swing.  When you're close enough using your eye's is better than the GPSr anyhow.

This is a question....Who died and made Atlas Cached the moderator and god of the gps forums?  I got an idea, when someone comes here and brings up something they'd like to do with their GPS to make the caching experience a bit more fun, why not just help them?  If you don't understand what they are talking about, then you have a few choices. You can ignore the post or you can simply try to understand that they are trying to find out and then help them.    

Its pretty sad, Atlas Cached, I've been caching since 2006 and I try to buy newer and better equipment.   However,  I don't keep my units current with the latest and greatest updates.  Why?  Because I have learned by experience or by reading theses forums that sometimes newer isn't always better. 

Atlas,  you came on the scene and since you have shown up, I hesitate to come here and ask a question do to the fact that you are a jerk  But hey that's just my opinion.

So, I will just take my newer GPS and use it like it is.  Screw the updates.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I am always quick and willing to help those who are willing to help themselves. I teach them to fish, I do not provide the fish.

I certainly do not care one way or the other if you update your GPSr or not, and have never indicated otherwise. 

I wish you many more years of great Geocaching enjoyment!

• Surprised 1
On 7/1/2021 at 1:59 PM, Berta Nick Zoey said:

I have two 66s and one 66st. They all do this. I have no idea why but, overall, I find it to be a minor issue given the technology packed into these devices. As stated, once slowed, the compass settles down. I own several Garmin GPSr's and really appreciated the help I've received over the years from dedicated volunteers who sincerely took the time and an interest in my and others concerns. A lot of that help came from Atlas Cached. To me, your original post would have sounded much nicer if you had left out " I don't feel like searching through 11 pages of posts so I'll just ask a question". Just saying....

Interesting,. I came here for help and I got a lesson on Grammar.  

Perhaps people don't WANT to learn their equipment to the extent that Mr. Atlas would prefer we learn it.   After several posts following my initial query,  I have seen 3 or 4 people say yea mine does that too but it doesn't bother me.   I am still left to wonder if the updates to the software have any effect on the compass jitters.  Oh well, maybe someone with better manners than me will ask the question nicely and I can learn from their attempt to get info, cuz  I sure as heck didn't

LOL