Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

Mineral2

45 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Here's what I'm doing now: geocaching/menu click/GC live download/download near/map point 50 miles away. Every single time I get "no results found". I understand it's not supposed to work this way, but this is what i get. 

I am able to duplicate this behavior only when I intentionally search in areas where I know there are no geocaches (Indian reservations, for example).

When purposely enabling filters for cache types that I know are not present for any given location, then searching near that location, I also get the 'no results found' screen.

You need to enable the 'Show All' filter.

Edited by Atlas Cached

I had thoroughly read the rChive but will look it over again to de how to access Show All. You'd think it be self explanatory as it isn't with my other devices... but resetting it would definitely remove filters, and I had this same behavior right after a reset. Plus, search near should work in my list of downloaded caches when I have my SD card in. 

I am throughly sure there are caches where I'm searching-the map point I am picking is a large city, for instance.

17 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

Yes, it's a custom filter.

And yes it's very clear to me that the caches are centered on my current location-I own most of them and are very familiar with them :)

17 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

I had thoroughly read the rChive but will look it over again to de how to access Show All. You'd think it be self explanatory as it isn't with my other devices... but resetting it would definitely remove filters, and I had this same behavior right after a reset. Plus, search near should work in my list of downloaded caches when I have my SD card in. 

I am throughly sure there are caches where I'm searching-the map point I am picking is a large city, for instance.

Well, nuts. 

I am running out of ideas!

Seems you have some bad luck with these units that others are not experiencing...

Maybe get a third GPSMAP 66 and see if your luck improves?

I did apply "show all" to see if my luck changed (at least I know where that setting is now). Nope. I'm pretty good with technology but I do have lousy luck! I doubt they'll replace this again... I guess I can live with this failure, but it's hard to stomach with a splurge on a new device. My only real hope is that when they get my old one back, they actually test it and figure out what the problem is, then release an update to fix it. 

I haven't gotten to try all of the other features to see whether the other bugs have persisted, but I sure hope not. Overall, I really like it!

That said, my old eTrex 20 works beautifully-it's just that the skin is loose and the plastic is cracked. My Oregon 400 works very well but sometimes has erroneous location data, to the tune of 0.25 miles off when it claims to have great signal! I've never figured that one out.

I wish I had read this thread before I bought a 66s. The lack of the 2 data fields when in map or compass mode makes it nearly worthless IMHO.  Only two options. Full screen with no data fields or four massive data fields with only half the map. Pretty poor planning if you ask me.

Anyone know when or if Garmin will wake up and fix this?  After all, it's got to be a very simple line of code for them to return the 2 small data field option.

Returned my 66s as defective until they fix this.

4 hours ago, Zop said:

I wish I had read this thread before I bought a 66s. The lack of the 2 data fields when in map or compass mode makes it nearly worthless IMHO.  Only two options. Full screen with no data fields or four massive data fields with only half the map. Pretty poor planning if you ask me.

Anyone know when or if Garmin will wake up and fix this?  After all, it's got to be a very simple line of code for them to return the 2 small data field option.

Returned my 66s as defective until they fix this.

It's not worthless. Those four data fields are the same size as all of the other dashboards, which is what Garmin was going for - a uniform dashboard that can be filled with different design for different purposes. Honestly, just give it a try before dismissing it as worthless. The dashboard leaves enough map to still be useful, especially now that the screen size and resolution have been increased.

• Helpful 1

Just to note that I sort of agree with this complaint.  I have given the four data fields a lot of use and do use them when I really need to have data fields.  They do cover much more of the map than I like since I often heavily use the map.  The higher resolution is nice but the 4 fields still make the map much harder to use.  I have compromised by keeping the data fields turned off unless I really need them in real time. I have put a couple of pages right after the map page, in sequence so I can quickly change to those screens if I need to see information I used to have in the two small data fields.  Inconvenient, but certainly not so much so that I would ever willingly give up the great features of my 66.  And given the explanation as to why the 2 small data fields are gone, I suspect Garmin will not give us that option back.  Garmin has their own ideas of how their devices should work and is not always the most receptive to customer feedback.  I am just glad they are still supporting and developing these stand alone handhelds and have been so far able to continue to do so even with most people using cell phones now instead of units like the 66. 

When I first got it the day of it's arrival in Australia, fw version 2.10, it would crash browsing any map.

Now I just tried, with 3.10, and it seems unlikely to crash the same way with one vector map, but will still easily crash doing the same thing if imagery is enabled as well.

8 hours ago, _Art_ said:

When I first got it the day of it's arrival in Australia, fw version 2.10, it would crash browsing any map.

Now I just tried, with 3.10, and it seems unlikely to crash the same way with one vector map, but will still easily crash doing the same thing if imagery is enabled as well.

What bugs are you noticing now that you have upgraded to 3.10?  I was so disgusted with the original release I returned it, but am hoping that with time and updates it will be worth giving it another go.  Are the elevation readings still way off?  

I don’t use it much to be honest, but have tested the same thing every update.

It has gotten better, but I can still get it to crash pretty easy.

I’m not talking anything new with 3.10. It was right from the start.

Edited by _Art_
14 hours ago, lucia152 said:

What bugs are you noticing now that you have upgraded to 3.10?  I was so disgusted with the original release I returned it, but am hoping that with time and updates it will be worth giving it another go.  Are the elevation readings still way off?  

Pls check https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66/index.htm where things are extensively discussed and one has an overview what the updates and the open issues are.

One thing I can do that will almost always crash the 66 hard is go off course when navigating on road (automotive). It freezes and the batteries have to be removed, and usually, the caches are all gone from the device after that. Worse, a few times, I have not been able to get it to read the SD card after that. I put the .gpx files on it so that I could reindex files on the road (after I had to cancel a trip due to having no way to reload caches... no phone), but I can remove the card, restart the unit, put it back in, restart the unit (of course it's properly placed and locked like always) and still see no caches. Many reboots later, and the caches show up... but it's an hour of miserable work on the road when I need the unit to work. Garmin hasn't answered, but this isn't my only issue. Does anyone else have this bug? "search near" almost never works, whether using Geocaching Live or just the caches on the unit, for another thing.

Overall I really like the device, but it has some major issues that need to be fixed.

2 hours ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

One thing I can do that will almost always crash the 66 hard is go off course when navigating on road (automotive). It freezes and the batteries have to be removed, and usually, the caches are all gone from the device after that. Worse, a few times, I have not been able to get it to read the SD card after that. I put the .gpx files on it so that I could reindex files on the road (after I had to cancel a trip due to having no way to reload caches... no phone), but I can remove the card, restart the unit, put it back in, restart the unit (of course it's properly placed and locked like always) and still see no caches. Many reboots later, and the caches show up... but it's an hour of miserable work on the road when I need the unit to work. Garmin hasn't answered, but this isn't my only issue. Does anyone else have this bug? "search near" almost never works, whether using Geocaching Live or just the caches on the unit, for another thing.

Overall I really like the device, but it has some major issues that need to be fixed.

Your first two sentences is the deal breaker for me.  I had mine crash at least twice while I was searching the map for caches while a passenger in the car.  I use it A LOT in that type of situation (my muggle husband drives and I look ahead to our next combo rest stop/caching opportunity), so I need it to function properly.  I was really hoping that the updates solved the majority of the problems, but if it still crashes/freezes when traveling in a car, it's a no go for me.  

It's pretty important to me too. I also navigate for everyone and rely on this to route me while in the truck. Mine is fully updated. I disagree with the routing sometimes because of trafffic, accident, construction, etc. so I knowingly don't follow its directions, but it usually freezes hard.

Spending my caching day desperately trying to get the caches to show up again, especially while handling that tiny SD card in the moving vehicle, really stinks. I do love being able to wirelessly grab a cache or two... of course I can't sit at a wifi place for hours reloading my PQs, but I like being able to download just one new cache sometimes. There's a lot I like about it and I am sure they can get these issues fixed. I sure would like them to be more helpful and responsive, though.

21 minutes ago, lucia152 said:

Your first two sentences is the deal breaker for me.  I had mine crash at least twice while I was searching the map for caches while a passenger in the car.  I use it A LOT in that type of situation (my muggle husband drives and I look ahead to our next combo rest stop/caching opportunity), so I need it to function properly.  I was really hoping that the updates solved the majority of the problems, but if it still crashes/freezes when traveling in a car, it's a no go for me.  

6 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster said:

It's pretty important to me too. I also navigate for everyone and rely on this to route me while in the truck. Mine is fully updated. I disagree with the routing sometimes because of trafffic, accident, construction, etc. so I knowingly don't follow its directions, but it usually freezes hard.

Spending my caching day desperately trying to get the caches to show up again, especially while handling that tiny SD card in the moving vehicle, really stinks. I do love being able to wirelessly grab a cache or two... of course I can't sit at a wifi place for hours reloading my PQs, but I like being able to download just one new cache sometimes. There's a lot I like about it and I am sure they can get these issues fixed. I sure would like them to be more helpful and responsive, though.

Which maps are you routing with when this freeze or crash occurs?

You're probably right, or that wasn't one of the ones I tried- I don't have it on me, but I have about seven maps on the SD card and toggled each of the routable ones on at a time to see if it would still crash. It did. The worst part was the device losing data, then not seeing any of the SD card contents after the crash, even after reindexing... I don't get how repeated restarts fixed that, but I hope it never happens again.

On 7/16/2019 at 8:26 PM, Mineral2 said:

It's not worthless. Those four data fields are the same size as all of the other dashboards, which is what Garmin was going for - a uniform dashboard that can be filled with different design for different purposes. Honestly, just give it a try before dismissing it as worthless. The dashboard leaves enough map to still be useful, especially now that the screen size and resolution have been increased.

I disagree. I did give it a try and returned it as worthless. However I was looking at the 66 again this weekend while caching and it was quite clear that I was able to view the map much better in the 2 small data field mode compared to the 'uniform' dashboard my buddy was using. Side by side with my 64s, Sure, the 66s's screen is slightly larger but the viewable map was equally smaller than mine.
Increasing the resolution just makes items on the screen smaller to the point where, unless you have extremely good eyes, the cache icons and even the custom symbols are simply too small.
It's a simply fix in the FW that Garmin can easily implement.

6 hours ago, Zop said:

Increasing the resolution just makes items on the screen smaller to the point where, unless you have extremely good eyes, the cache icons and even the custom symbols are simply too small.
It's a simply fix in the FW that Garmin can easily implement.

I agree. I have fixed the small icons with implementing custom icons and symbols from https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66/index.htm

I keep seeing this argument being made, so I finally had to find out for myself.

Q. Does the older (and newer) GPSMAP 62/64/78 series Map Page with only two date fields showing provide more usable map viewing space than the newer GPSMAP 66 with four data fields displayed?

A. No. Not even close.

Here's why:

The GPSMAP 62/64/78 series full Map Page resolution is 160 x 240, or 38,400 pixels. With two data fields visible, the Map Page resolution is reduced to 160 x 196, or 31,360 pixels.

The GPSMAP 66 series full Map Page resolution is 240 x 376, or 90,240 pixels. With four data fields visible, the Map Page resolution is reduced to 240 x 248, or 59,520 pixels. This is 168% more map viewing area than the GPSMAP 62/64/78.

The images below illustrates this quite well.

In the first image, I have taken two Full Map pages (no data fields visible) from a GPSMAP 64, rotated them 90 degrees, stacked them one above the other, and transposed them over a GPSMAP 66 Map Page (with four data fields visible) to demonstrate that indeed the remaining Map Page on a GPSMAP 66 still has more available viewing area than one-and-a-half GPSMAP 64 Map Pages (with no data fields visible)! When compared to a GPSMAP 62/64/78 with the 'two-data-field' dashboard enabled, a GPSMAP 66 (with four data fields displayed) provides a viewable Map area that is a whopping 190% larger!

In the second image, I placed a single GPSMAP 62/64/78 Map Page with two data fields displayed in the center of a GPSMAP 66 Map Page with four data fields displayed, both actual size.

In conclusion, I believe this argument that the newer Garmin units are 'worthless' because they are unable to display a two data field dashboard in the Map Page, which in turn leaves insufficient remaining usable space, are based not in fact, but rather some users inability to grow with the product. And the math proves it.

716598227_GPSMAP64vsGPSMAP66MapPageSize.png.31a37c0aea4380d529bf0666d8d04c0f.png   151808905_GPSMAP64vsGPSMAP66MapPageSizev2.png.3db1f76e95cb4102dc3bae15d35ebe4d.png

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Helpful 1

Thank you. Though resolution aside, even the physical dimensions of the screen with the four data fields (or any dashboard) present is still equal to or larger than the screen dimensions of, say, an eTrex, which many people use successfully. The extra space garnered by the two data fields amounts to a want rather than a need. That is, the device still functions and can be used appropriately without that extra space.  If the multitudes of eTrex users can navigate and geocache with that small screen, you too can navigate and geocache with a dashboard/4 data fields present. 

Side note: The screen size and resolution of the 66 series is now equal to that of the Oregons. But the Oregon unites do not have part of the screen relegated to that status bar at the top. So, those of us using the Oregons actually have a few extra lines of pixels in the long direction to view the map with. Also, we touch screen users have a handy option to hide/show the dashboard with one tap of the screen. Still think your buttons are superior? ?
(Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a "which is better, touch screen or button models." I instigate purely out of fun, recognizing there are strengths and weaknesses to both lines and it really comes down to preference.)

• Helpful 1

@Atlas Cached Thanks for the detailed analysis of the screen size/resolution.  I have been one of the folks who felt the 4 data fields reduced what I was seeing on the map.  As you point out, that is a mistaken illusion when fairly compared.  So I am not sure why it seems like an issue when using the unit.  I don't think it is the resolution as I still mostly use the small icons and am OK with those.  Maybe it is just simply that the 4 data fields on the 66 cover so much of the 66's screen, rather than the incorrect assumption that I had that I was actually seeing less map.  But even with your irrefutable proof of how much map I am actually seeing, I would still be happier with an option for two small data fields as those would cover half as much of the 66 screen as the 4 data fields do.  Then I could have the 2 fields I use all the time and dispense with the 3rd and 4th which I don't need.  Anyway, thanks for approaching the issue with math as you did. 

BTW: Even though I usually turn off the data fields because I like how much more map that gives me, I would never say that there is anything useless about the 66.  I would buy another one in a minute if I lost mine.  I had to learn a lot coming from a 60CSx, and still likely don't make as full use of the 66 as I could, but I love the unit....  (And would love it even more if I could get POI loaded proximity alerts to work!) 

BTW, some of the numbers I did not disclose above (because they are misleading) are:

The GPSMAP 62/64/78 series map page with the 'two data field dashboard' displayed provides a map area that is 81% of the full map display, while a GPSMAP 66 series map page with the 'four data field dashboard' displayed only provides a map area that is 62% of the full map display. Even still, that 62% is nearly 190% of the GPSMAP 62/64/78 with the 'two data field dashboard' displayed and 160% of the full 62/64/78 largest, fullest, unencumbered map display size.

So, yes, it looks like less (spatial relationship), when in fact it is more (pixel count). 

An excellent optical illusion!

The % of map area in the display might be a better comparison because although the increased number of pixels makes the map look sharper, I think the unit displays data based on size in measured units rather than pixels (well, most data. Waypoint symbols are still pixel-based). This is a bit misleading as well since there is more control over how much is shown on the map at various zoom levels and the size that it gets displayed on the map. But with the little scale bar, that 1cm set at 500 feet on both units is 1cm = 500 feet on both units. So the amount of map per square cm is the same, it's just going to look cleaner on the 66.

BTW, I just measured the size of the dashboard on my Oregon 600 and it comes out to 0.75 inches out of the 2.5 inches of screen. So the amount of screen showing visible map when the dashboard is open is 1.75 inches, or 70%. I think it's due to that stupid status bar in the gpsMap models. ? 

Two data fields is just a wishlist because everything is now coded as a dashboard. It's actually not as simple of a fix to revert back to the old method where the dashboard was created as a special type of data field, and would require Garmin to both rework an entire section of the software, but also abandon the concept of the dashboard as it is currently implemented, and the dashboards are quite useful.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:55 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Q. Does the older (and newer) GPSMAP 62/64/78 series Map Page with only two date fields showing provide more usable map viewing space than the newer GPSMAP 66 with four data fields displayed?

A. No. Not even close.

Here's why:

I'm puzzled how the answer to the question can completely omit any lenght or area units but only focuses on resolution. I mean resolution is an important factor and surely softens the effect but calculating the space (which to me means physical area) leads to another result.

So here is the calculation which leads to the answer: Yes, but not much.

Screensize of GPSMAP 62/64/78: 3,6 x 5,5 cm ==> 19,80 cm2 (=83% of 66)

Screensize of GPSMAP 66            : 3,8 x 6,3 cm ==> 23,94 cm2 (=121% of 62/62/78)

Screensize of map on GPSMAP 62/64/78 with two data fields visible: 3,6 x 4,5 cm ==> 16,20 cm2 (=101,5% of 66)

Screensize of map on GPSMAP 66             with four data fields visible: 3,8 x 4,2 cm ==> 15,96 cm2  (=98,5% of 62/62/78)

I used the screen size specifications from GPSrChive and the resolution figures from Atlas Cached's posting.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:27 AM, Hynz said:

I'm puzzled how the answer to the question can completely omit any lenght or area units but only focuses on resolution. I mean resolution is an important factor and surely softens the effect but calculating the space (which to me means physical area) leads to another result.

Certainly, your observation is effectively what I was trying to reference a few posts above.

However, most map data (waypoint icons, poi icons, etc). are displayed at fixed values. You can experiment to see this for yourself my creating custom POI or Waypoint/Geocache icons for your Garmin GPSr. You will find they are always displayed at the pixel size you create them.

Other map data items are scaled based on the selected zoom level. If you have the same zoom level selected on both devices, the Map Page will scale the map data accordingly. Here you can see the GPSMAP 62/64/78 Map Page transposed over the GPSMAP 66 Map Page, both scaled at the 30ft zoom setting. They both use the same number of pixels for the scale, which means the GPSMAP 66 still shows more scaled data than the the GPSMAP 62/64/78.

1568461849_GPSMAP64vsGPSMAP66MapPageSizev3.png.8f5a813fd6e79d8238eeaabff1236ab5.png

When the GPSr renders the Map Page, it does not care about the actual physical dimensions of the screen, it only cares how many pixels it has to work with, also known as the screen resolution.

So, even though, as you have calculated, the GPSMAP 66 Map Page with four data fields displayed is physically 98.5% the size of a GPSMAP 62/64/78 Map Page with two data fields displayed (using your numbers here), the GPSMAP 66 is still capable of displaying 89% more information than the GPSMAP 62/64/78.

Edited by Atlas Cached
typo

1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

So, even though, as you have calculated, the GPSMAP 66 Map Page with four data fields displayed is physically 98.5% the size of a GPSMAP 62/64/78 Map Page with two data fields displayed (using your numbers here), the GPSMAP 66 is still capable of displaying 62% more information than the GPSMAP 62/64/78.

No doubt about this, but isn't space a physical property? (sorry English is not my first language).

IMHO your question should be rephrased and "more usable map viewing space" replaced with "more information".

I still believe my calculation has some value and is an interesting addition to your presentation but YMMV.

14 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

Two data fields is just a wishlist because everything is now coded as a dashboard. It's actually not as simple of a fix to revert back to the old method where the dashboard was created as a special type of data field, and would require Garmin to both rework an entire section of the software, but also abandon the concept of the dashboard as it is currently implemented, and the dashboards are quite useful.

What exactly is hidden in that the expected extra 1/4" of map space?  If it's critical to planning, or if I need a bigger map and can't slide the dashboard away, I could select a specially designed "Planning" Profile and switch to that, one with, for example, no dashboard at all.  I don't know how much digging it requires to switch Profiles (or "Activities"?) on a 66.  On my Garmin 650, it was trivial to switch between "Geocaching" and "CachingCar" Profiles, each with their own custom set data fields.  I miss that simplicity.

Garmin could create an additional dashboard, "Two Data Field Dashboard".  Whether it would create more map space I can't say, because look what happens when you make a single data field.  It's a huge single "dashboard" the size of the four field one.  But I've done that at times for the purpose of having a compass and big distance numbers in view.  New users at a Geocaching 101 appreciate the screen uncluttered with stuff.  But that of course is the compass screen.  Garmin could also create a thinner dashboard for persons with good eyes.

On the map, four data fields is essential to me.  I need the cache name (or waypoint name), its GPS coordinates, and distance to the point.  OK, three fields :P.  The fourth is available as time or date, or street routing (depending on which profile it is).  Anyway, two fields is not enough.  Many times I've been heading to some point and suddenly realized it's not correctly set (or it became "unset" along the way).  I need the indicator that I'm being currently directed to exactly the right spot, and that includes cache name and coordinates.  Especially coordinates.

Just because I like things doesn't mean everyone does, so I hope the OP keeps up the good fight.  I now have a Garmin 750, and am disappointed that it has become An App, where you press, swipe, scroll, click-click-click, unintuitive actions to do what required a couple taps in previous models.  Usability being restored is a noble goal.

Edited by kunarion

OK, this ought to clear it all up with no fancy math to confuse anyone.

GPSMAP 64 Map Page with two data field dashboard enabled vs GPSMAP 66 Map Page with four data field dashboard enabled.

Both GPSr are centered on the same intersection with identical maps and map zoom settings:

Which shows more map?

1830617863_GPSMAP64vsGPSMAP66MapPageSizev4.png.15986eae683533c8d49f72a85ff28011.png  

685503782_GPSMAP64vsGPSMAP66MapPageSizev5.png.210e5149de6fdbee44334d36b7be249b.png

Exactly.

More information available at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > FAQ 50

Edited by Atlas Cached
update info
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

On 7/27/2019 at 5:33 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Exactly.

Thanks.

And this is the Actual Size/Proportion:

62_acct.png.cd5fc61564b83dd2a2314811ae1b4c2b.png             66.png.823316d0bda25727e3459f1bce12474f.png                      

Edited by Hynz
redundant figures removed (thanks to IceColdUK)
11 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

No Garmin GPSr currently supports displaying cache attributes.

The work around has been, for GSAK users, to include a dummy first log with this information when exporting geocaches to the unit.

Any thoughts on why Garmin won't introduce this feature on their devices? Remember once using a Magellan Explorist GC that was able to show the cache attribute icons. It was indeed a pleasure.

geocache_attributes.png

It's been, what, ten years since attributes were added? Garmin has no competition left, so they're not exactly burning up the R&D budget no something as niche as geocaching.

From a developer's view, the way attributes are presented in pocket queries is funky and hard to work with because of the tri-stated way they are presented and visualized. . They're an internationalization challenge. I'm guessing there simply hasn't been much demand. But asking the audience here why Garmin won't do something will get you only guesses. It's not like any of us are the ones filling the whiteboard of developer sprints. in Olathe.

Funny that the very cache you just used for a demo, a Wherigo,  is the source of a problem I'm looking into in another window; I'm part of TOM Creative Group...

49 minutes ago, Sgt_Strider said:

I just bought the Garmin GPSmap 66. I've had the Garmin 60CSX and Garmin 62s for a very long time now. I'm just wondering if it's possible to move the data from those two GPS devices such as odometer and waypoints over to my new Garmin GPSmap 66? If so, how do I do it?

Odometer, no. Waypoints, yes!

The GPSMAP 62s is a mass storage device, like the GPSMAP 66, thus you can simply copy the GPX files from one to the other if you wish. Or you can make a GPSMAP 62s database list in BaseCamp, import all desired waypoints, tracks, routes etc. from the 62s into BaseCamp, then export the desired data into the GPSMAP 66.

The GPSMAP 60csx is pre mass storage, so it is slightly trickier. Garmin GPSr of this generation were designed to work with MapSource, so if possible, I would use that program to import all data from the GPSMAP 60csx into a MapSource database, then export that database as a *.GDB file, then import the saved *.GDB file into a GPSMAP 60csx database list in BaseCamp, where you can then send desired tracks, waypoints, routes etc. to the GPSMAP 66.

Once you have imported all these files into BaseCamp, you will have them to copy again to other devices, and as a backup in case something happens to any of your GPSr.

See Garmin BaseCamp for more information. 

• Helpful 1
7 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Odometer, no. Waypoints, yes!

The GPSMAP 62s is a mass storage device, like the GPSMAP 66, thus you can simply copy the GPX files from one to the other if you wish. Or you can make a GPSMAP 62s database list in BaseCamp, import all desired waypoints, tracks, routes etc. from the 62s into BaseCamp, then export the desired data into the GPSMAP 66.

The GPSMAP 60csx is pre mass storage, so it is slightly trickier. Garmin GPSr of this generation were designed to work with MapSource, so if possible, I would use that program to import all data from the GPSMAP 60csx into a MapSource database, then export that database as a *.GDB file, then import the saved *.GDB file into a GPSMAP 60csx database list in BaseCamp, where you can then send desired tracks, waypoints, routes etc. to the GPSMAP 66.

Once you have imported all these files into BaseCamp, you will have them to copy again to other devices, and as a backup in case something happens to any of your GPSr.

See Garmin BaseCamp for more information. 

Thanks for the information bud. Let's say I start using my Garmin 66 now without importing any data and all, I'm assuming I can do what you had described and try to import those data later? My intention is to just migrate all of my previous accrued data on both the 60CSX and 62S on to the new 66S. I don't really have time to do that as I'm about to leave on a trip. So I'll import the data over later. So you're sure I cannot import data like odometer from either the 60CSX or 62S to the new 66s? It would be nice to be able to continue to track that information.

I would love to hear feedback on how it goes with your 66 after using it for a bit, especially since you have the 60CSX and 62S to compare it to.  I'm ready to give the 66 another try in the spring for next year's caching season if I continue to hear good things and Garmin continues with the updates.

1 hour ago, Sgt_Strider said:

Thanks for the information bud. Let's say I start using my Garmin 66 now without importing any data and all, I'm assuming I can do what you had described and try to import those data later? My intention is to just migrate all of my previous accrued data on both the 60CSX and 62S on to the new 66S. I don't really have time to do that as I'm about to leave on a trip. So I'll import the data over later. So you're sure I cannot import data like odometer from either the 60CSX or 62S to the new 66s? It would be nice to be able to continue to track that information.

The odometer is specific to each individual unit. It can be reset, but I believe only through a hard factory reset. Trip odometers get reset with each trip reset, but again, don't accumulate or transfer to another device. We are sure that odometer data cannot be imported from one GPS receiver to another. Tracks, routes, waypoints, geocaches, unlocked maps, custom maps, and POIs, however, can be transferred back and forth at will. Do that any time you'd like.

• Helpful 1