Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

Mineral2

7 hours ago, grateful cacher said:

What I'm meaning to say is that I would like to edit the data fields on the Geocache Dashboard. When it opens, and I'm going towards a cache, it shows compass heading and distance to destination. I've always liked a pointer for direction, as well as distance. On the older units I've (including the 64s/64sc devices), I've been able to select 2 or 4 data fields, and then select what I want in those data fields. I've not found a way to do that with the 66s. Is it possible to do that?

Editing data fields for the Geocache Dashboard has never been available, on any Garmin GPSr. You can only edit data fields for the Large and Small Data Field Dashboards.

7 hours ago, grateful cacher said:

I download my PQs directly from Groundspeak, then unzip and store on a directory on my PC. Then I drag'n' drop to my device which is connect to my computer via USB. I have about 70 PQs that I download, and the oldest one I copy is 7 days old.

OK, sounds to me like you are not allowing enough time for your GPSMAP 66 to clear the old database and freshly index the freshly loaded 70+ PQs!!

6 hours ago, grateful cacher said:

I found this page on gpsarchive this morning, about the Geocaching function of the 66s/66st. It gives it a big FAILED stamp, and says this function is currently broken.

One question, how are GGZ files created??

http://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP 66/index.htm

Only the Chirp function is currently inoperative, everything else functions as intended.

a GGZ file is a Garmin Geocache Zip file, which includes a large GPX file with all geocache data, as well as a much smaller GPX index of the larger file, which the GPSr uses to quickly locate information as it is needed for individual geocaches.

Several third party application can create GGZ files, including GASk and My Geocaching Manager, all of which are listed in the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Software page.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

I think this is correct with one caveat.  We used to have a choice of 2 or 4 small data fields.  Now with the 66 Garmin seems to have done away with the choice for two.  You can have data fields turned off or one large data field, or 4 small data fields.  But you can no longer have 2 small data fields.  For all the good it may, or may not, do I have sent Garmin an email requesting to have the choice of two small data fields back.  Although, with all the options the 66 has to choose from, I have no trouble finding data to fill those 4 small fields, sometimes I find the 4 fields covers too much of the map for my liking.  Not sure why they eliminated the choice of two small fields.

This is beacause all newer Garmin GPSr, as far back as the Montana, only allow the one large data field or four small data fields. They do this to keep the Data Field dashboard the same size, regardless of page displayed or portrait/landscape orientation. This greatly simplifies the internal coding needed to display data field dashboards, and as most new units are sharing (in some cases, a lot of) common code, I suspect this is what we will get.

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

Good info, but there's a huge glitch: you can only go to the geocaching information from the geocaching dashboard. I find the geocaching dashboard to be obnoxious, almost useless, because it navigates to the nearest geocache even when the unit is navigating to something else, like a waypoint. Astonishing. So I tried to get around it by using the small data fields and filling them in with the information I need for navigation. That worked OK for navigating, but then when I am navigating to a cache, I can't jump to the cache's information. I still can't believe it. I guess I can get around it by adding an additional page to my page sequence specifically to look at the geocaching info, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet 'cuz I just can't believe it doesn't work the way I'm expecting.

This stuff strikes me as goofy even after I take into account something else I've concluded: that no one at Garmin geocaches.

The Geocaching Dashboard is for Geocaching data only, and ALWAYS points to the nearest Geocache if not already navigating to a geocache. This is by design. This is correct operation for the Geocaching Dashboard. If you don't want to see a pointer pointing to geocaches, why do you have it enabled?

When using dashboards other than the Geocaching Dashboard, you can simply press 'Menu > Menu > Geocaching' to get to the Geocache Information Page. That's three clicks.

Even with the Geocaching Dashboard Active, you have to select 'Menu > Geocache', which is two clicks, so the other way is a whopping one click more!

Or, as you say, just include the Geocaching Page in the Page Ribbon! Too Easy!

Good Grief!

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

Only the Chirp function is currently inoperative, everything else functions as intended.

I'm sorry. What? Are you telling me that when I tried to find a chirp cache, I was wasting my time? How was I supposed to hear about that?

22 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I'm sorry. What? Are you telling me that when I tried to find a chirp cache, I was wasting my time? How was I supposed to hear about that?

No, I am stating that the Chirp Function does not current function as intended.

You would figure it out pretty quick if you actually tried to do a chirp.....

The Geocaching Dashboard is for Geocaching data only, and ALWAYS points to the nearest Geocache if not already navigating to a geocache. This is by design. This is correct operation for the Geocaching Dashboard. If you don't want to see a pointer pointing to geocaches, why do you have it enabled?

By design? No kidding? Well, it's a ridiculous design. I pick various things to navigate to. I don't expect the dashboard to ignore what I'm navigating to just because I've configured the map to use the geocaching dashboard. Not "enabled", configured, via setup. Am I seriously supposed to go change the configuration based on what I happen to be navigating to? When I'm geocaching, sometimes I need to navigate to a geocache and sometimes I need to navigate to a waypoint, instead. It makes me shiver to hear you say it makes sense to go into the menu setup every time I do change my destination.

The one thing that never, ever makes sense is for me to be navigating to a waypoint, but the device shows me the direction and distance to a random geocache that just happens to be nearby. It's flat out misleading. Why would I be looking at the map unless I wanted information about where I'm going?

When using dashboards other than the Geocaching Dashboard, you can simply press 'Menu > Menu > Geocaching' to get to the Geocache Information Page. That's three clicks.

No it's not just 3 clicks. I can't believe you said that. It's menu, menu, futz around finding the geocaching item in the main menu, and then click on it. I don't have my 66st with me, but as I recall, it's about 10 clicks, minimum, assuming I don't overshoot while trying to get in position. Besides, it's insane to expect me to go to the main menu to look for the geocaching information when I'm currently navigating to a geocache. It should be one click!

Even with the Geocaching Dashboard Active, you have to select 'Menu > Geocache', which is two clicks, so the other way is a whopping one click more!

Yes! It's not even convenient from the geocaching dashboard, but at least it's only a one dimensional menu with 5 items in it instead of the 2 dimensional main menu with -- what? -- 30 or 40 items.

Or, as you say, just include the Geocaching Page in the Page Ribbon! Too Easy!

Good Grief! 

I'm glad you think so. Good Grief, indeed. I suppose someday I'll figure out all these hoops the design makes me jump through, but I can't imagine ever thinking they're logical.

17 minutes ago, dprovan said:

By design? No kidding? Well, it's a ridiculous design. I pick various things to navigate to. I don't expect the dashboard to ignore what I'm navigating to just because I've configured the map to use the geocaching dashboard. Not "enabled", configured, via setup. Am I seriously supposed to go change the configuration based on what I happen to be navigating to? When I'm geocaching, sometimes I need to navigate to a geocache and sometimes I need to navigate to a waypoint, instead. It makes me shiver to hear you say it makes sense to go into the menu setup every time I do change my destination.

The one thing that never, ever makes sense is for me to be navigating to a waypoint, but the device shows me the direction and distance to a random geocache that just happens to be nearby. It's flat out misleading. Why would I be looking at the map unless I wanted information about where I'm going?

Sorry, that's what the Geocaching Dashboard does. Always has. On all Garmin GPSr. For over a decade now. Get over it.

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 Function > Operation > Dashboards > Geocache explains in detail exactly how the Geocache Dashboard functions. Check it out. Then have a look at the Compass Dashboard, as that is the one you seem to want. Or the Small Data Field dashboard, which can be configured with a directional pointer (is even showed that way on the page) along with three other data fields! Maybe that would work for ya?

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, dprovan said:

No it's not just 3 clicks. I can't believe you said that. It's menu, menu, futz around finding the geocaching item in the main menu, and then click on it. I don't have my 66st with me, but as I recall, it's about 10 clicks, minimum, assuming I don't overshoot while trying to get in position. Besides, it's insane to expect me to go to the main menu to look for the geocaching information when I'm currently navigating to a geocache. It should be one click!

Now you're just being silly.

It is three clicks on my GPSMAP 66 because I have configured it so. Even less when I use the Page Ribbon. Learn to use your tool.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Yes! It's not even convenient from the geocaching dashboard, but at least it's only a one dimensional menu with 5 items in it instead of the 2 dimensional main menu with -- what? -- 30 or 40 items.

I'm glad you think so. Good Grief, indeed. I suppose someday I'll figure out all these hoops the design makes me jump through, but I can't imagine ever thinking they're logical.

You can configure those shortcuts to be in any position in the menu you desire.... Put the ones you use most often at the top.... Duh!

Just got to use the wet noodle between your ears!

If you spent as much time configuring your GPSMAP 66 to work for you as you do complaining about design standards that are a decade old, you would be much better off.....

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 minute ago, Atlas Cached said:

No, I am stating that the Chirp Function does not current function as intended.

You would figure it out pretty quick if you actually tried to do a chirp.....

Please tell me how I was supposed to figure it out? Since I had no reason to doubt my chirp function, I just assumed the beacon had run out of power. As far as I could tell, the 66st was looking for the signal normally. Now I have to go apologize for the DNF I filed suggesting there was a problem with the cache.

Odd that you're being cryptic, suggesting that "not function as intended" might not mean I wasted my time trying to use it. Could you be more specific about why I might not have been wasting my time?

Maybe you could also answer the other question, because it's more general: is there somewhere I'm supposed to know to go to find out what's not working?

4 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Please tell me how I was supposed to figure it out? Since I had no reason to doubt my chirp function, I just assumed the beacon had run out of power. As far as I could tell, the 66st was looking for the signal normally. Now I have to go apologize for the DNF I filed suggesting there was a problem with the cache.

Odd that you're being cryptic, suggesting that "not function as intended" might not mean I wasted my time trying to use it. Could you be more specific about why I might not have been wasting my time?

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues > Bug 32 explains the chirp issue in detail.

You don't have to apologize for a DNF, after all, you Didn't Find it, Right?

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Sorry, that's what the Geocaching Dashboard does. Always has. On all Garmin GPSr. For over a decade now. Get over it.

I guess you garmin users have gotten complacent. I've only had a couple months using this clunky GPSr. I think I deserve more time to learn to live with it.

2 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

If you spent as much time configuring your GPSMAP 66 to work for you as you do complaining about design standards that are a decade old, you would be much better off.....

Why are you being such a jerk? I've spent way more time configuring my 66st than most new users. I carefully read the documentation -- for what that's worth -- and explored all aspects of the device. I've been more than fair, and I've used the device for a lot longer than it deserves in order make sure that these glitches were as much of a problem in practice as they seemed. Maybe you've never used a decent GPSr, so you don't know the difference.

I guess that's part of my problem: they've had a decade to develop this interface, so I can't get my head around it still having such unintuitive behaviors.

2 minutes ago, dprovan said:

Why are you being such a jerk? I've spent way more time configuring my 66st than most new users. I carefully read the documentation -- for what that's worth -- and explored all aspects of the device. I've been more than fair, and I've used the device for a lot longer than it deserves in order make sure that these glitches were as much of a problem in practice as they seemed. Maybe you've never used a decent GPSr, so you don't know the difference.

I'm being the jerk?

I'm not the one running around here complaining about every little thing the GPSMAP 66 does because "I don't think it should work like that..." - I'm trying to explain to you how it does work so you can get on with it.

I do not think you are being fair at all, with the GPSMAP 66, Garmin, or the users on this Forum who are trying to help you.

And who are you to determine ho wlong the device 'deserves' to be used before you have mastered it? I don't think it happens as quick as you think it should, for any one.

I've never used a decent GPSr? What is a decent GPSr? I have virtually every model Garmin has produced over the last 15+ years.....And they keep getting better with each new generation!

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, dprovan said:

Good info, but there's a huge glitch: you can only go to the geocaching information from the geocaching dashboard. I find the geocaching dashboard to be obnoxious, almost useless, because it navigates to the nearest geocache even when the unit is navigating to something else, like a waypoint. Astonishing. So I tried to get around it by using the small data fields and filling them in with the information I need for navigation. That worked OK for navigating, but then when I am navigating to a cache, I can't jump to the cache's information. I still can't believe it. I guess I can get around it by adding an additional page to my page sequence specifically to look at the geocaching info, but I haven't gotten around to trying that yet 'cuz I just can't believe it doesn't work the way I'm expecting.

This stuff strikes me as goofy even after I take into account something else I've concluded: that no one at Garmin geocaches.

I agree, that the geocaching aspects of this device is pretty poor. I still am having problems with the map not displaying after finding one cache, and when I go to the next one, I get a blank map screen. 

FWIW, Garmin did say they're going to send me a new warranty replacement unit....but I have to send mine in first.....

1 minute ago, grateful cacher said:

I delete the old PQs off the 66s, then power it on to give it a chance to clear, and it still hangs at the progress bar.....

Takes almost just as long to clear the internal database as it does to build it.

You said you were moving 70+ PQ's at a time. How many caches in each PQ? 500? 1000?

Sounds likely you are moving 50,000+ caches off the device then moving another 50,000+ on. That is not going to index in a few short minutes...

Edited by Atlas Cached
2 minutes ago, grateful cacher said:

I would love to get 12-16 hours with this unit. I've never had them last more than 7-8 hours. That includes both the Garmin battery pack and rechargeable NiMH batteries.

Using too much back light? Real easy to have it on 50% Brightness or more in the daylight and not even notice it.

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 Function > Operation > Dashboards > Geocache explains in detail exactly how the Geocache Dashboard functions. Check it out. Then have a look at the Compass Dashboard, as that is the one you seem to want. Or the Small Data Field dashboard, which can be configured with a directional pointer (is even showed that way on the page) along with three other data fields! Maybe that would work for ya?

Thanks for this information. This is a great resource. I'm starting to understand the relationship between Dashboards and Profiles. Steep learning curve on this unit.

58 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Takes almost just as long to clear the internal database as it does to build it.

You said you were moving 70+ PQ's at a time. How many caches in each PQ? 500? 1000?

Sounds likely you are moving 50,000+ caches off the device then moving another 50,000+ on. That is not going to index in a few short minutes...

I realize that I'm moving a lot of data. But on the older Garmins I used it wouldn't take longer than 10-12 minutes to move the same amount of data. Not every PQ has 999 caches, some have only 200-300, some less.

1 minute ago, grateful cacher said:

I realize that I'm moving a lot of data. But on the older Garmins I used it wouldn't take longer than 10-12 minutes to move the same amount of data. Not every PQ has 999 caches, some have only 200-300, some less.

Have you renamed the SQL folder yet?

4 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

I'm not the one running around here complaining about every little thing the GPSMAP 66 does because "I don't think it should work like that..." - I'm trying to explain to you how it does work so you can get on with it.

I'm sorry you think my complaints are incompetent. I thought I did a good job of explaining why the design seems illogical to someone considering it impartially.

No, you didn't tell me how it worked. You made excuses and then implied the problem was that I hadn't done my homework.

5 hours ago, grateful cacher said:

Haven't had time to yet. I've been working on a CT scanner that's been down all day, and still isn't fixed. I hate when work gets in the way of geocaching.....LOL

BTW, does a factory reset do anything to the SQL folder?

Work is a four letter word!

I honestly have never checked to see what the Master Reset does to the SQL database. Mostly, it resets settings to original defaults, but user data still persists, so I suspect it does not affect the SQL database - but again, I have not specifically investigated that.

21 hours ago, grateful cacher said:

What I'm meaning to say is that I would like to edit the data fields on the Geocache Dashboard. When it opens, and I'm going towards a cache, it shows compass heading and distance to destination. I've always liked a pointer for direction, as well as distance. On the older units I've (including the 64s/64sc devices), I've been able to select 2 or 4 data fields, and then select what I want in those data fields. I've not found a way to do that with the 66s. Is it possible to do that?

You are misremembering what you did on the 64x. I have the  64s/t and you cannot edit anything on the Geocaching dashboard. It is on the map screen where you can select 2 or 4 data fields. This is my preferred display and I have the 4 fields set to Pointer, Heading, Distance, Time. I can't speak for the 66x, but I would guess it will be the same. 

Personally, I found the Geocaching dashboard to be useless since you could be navigating to a waypoint or geocache but the small dashboard compass arrow will always point to the nearest unfound cache, not what you have selected. 

3 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

You are misremembering what you did on the 64x. I have the  64s/t and you cannot edit anything on the Geocaching dashboard. It is on the map screen where you can select 2 or 4 data fields. This is my preferred display and I have the 4 fields set to Pointer, Heading, Distance, Time. I can't speak for the 66x, but I would guess it will be the same. 

Personally, I found the Geocaching dashboard to be useless since you could be navigating to a waypoint or geocache but the small dashboard compass arrow will always point to the nearest unfound cache, not what you have selected. 

It is the same for the GPSMAP 66. (Garmin is not reinventing features and functions that already work)

FYI: The Geocache dashboard Pointer ALWAYS points to one of three things:

1. If not navigating to a geocache (or Next Stage), the pointer points to the nearest Geocache. (helps you not accidentally miss any nearby geocaches)

2. If navigating to a geocache, the pointer points toward that geocache. (helps direct you to the geocache you have selected)

3. If navigating to a Next Stage, the pointer points to the Next Stage Coordinates. (help direct you to the selected Next Stage)

If you are navigating to any other waypoint, POI, etc., the Geocache Dashboard performs as described in #1 above.

Edited by Atlas Cached
33 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

It is the same for the GPSMAP 66. (Garmin is not reinventing features and functions that already work)

FYI: The Geocache dashboard Pointer ALWAYS points to one of three things:

1. If not navigating to a geocache (or Next Stage), the pointer points to the nearest Geocache. (helps you not accidentally miss any nearby geocaches)

2. If navigating to a geocache, the pointer points toward that geocache. (helps direct you to the geocache you have selected)

3. If navigating to a Next Stage, the pointer points to the Next Stage Coordinates. (help direct you to the selected Next Stage)

If you are navigating to any other waypoint, POI, etc., the Geocache Dashboard performs as described in #1 above.

Thanks for the clarification. Early on, I did not like the 'Next stage' function and quickly stopped using it. I may not have been using it properly but what would happen was:

1. With a 3 or 4 stage multi, stage 3 Next Stage overwrote stage 2 Next Stage. And 4 overwrote 3. I would only have a record of stage 4 afterwards. 

2. Doing another multi would overwrite the Next Stage from the previous multi. 

So I just used waypoints for the stages after that. 

Edited by JohnCNA
12 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

1. With a 3 or 4 stage multi, stage 3 Next Stage overwrote stage 2 Next Stage. And 4 overwrote 3. I would only have a record of stage 4 afterwards.

Solution:

1. go to the first Next Stage

2. Tap the Geocache dashboard and hit "Description"

3. Hit the flag symbol. This creates a saved waypoint of Next Stage 1

4. go to the second Next Stage

5. repeat item 2 and 3

6. go to the third Next Stage

7 ... and so forth ...

Hans

32 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

Thanks for the clarification. Early on, I did not like the 'Next stage' function and quickly stopped using it. I may not have been using it properly but what would happen was:

So I just used waypoints for the stages after that. 

Yeah, just follow the steps listed in GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Geocaching > Next Stage > Save Waypoint. Then you have all stages saved for future reference and use! Similar process works on most Garmin GPSr....

59 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

My problem was when I ended up doing two overlapping multis at the same time. I set the "next stage" for the second and discovered the coordinates for the final of the first had disappeared. Good thing I take notes so I could reenter it, but it was still a pain to only be able to have one or the other available for geocaching navigation.

My problem was when I ended up doing two overlapping multis at the same time. I set the "next stage" for the second and discovered the coordinates for the final of the first had disappeared. Good thing I take notes so I could reenter it, but it was still a pain to only be able to have one or the other available for geocaching navigation.

That's because you didn't 'save' your 'Next Stage' waypoints as outlined here:  GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Geocaching > Next Stage > Save Waypoint.

31 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

Maybe.

You can't find a decent GPSr below?

Maybe it's time you step back a bit. We get it, you've owned lots of Garmin GPSrs and know lots about them. That doesn't mean you can be antagonistic towards others who may not know as much and constantly tell people their expectations are wrong. People are allowed to be frustrated with Garmin's many questionable design decisions. They're frustrated with Garmin, not you, so you don't need to take it so personally.

1 minute ago, The A-Team said:

Maybe it's time you step back a bit. We get it, you've owned lots of Garmin GPSrs and know lots about them. That doesn't mean you can be antagonistic towards others who may not know as much and constantly tell people their expectations are wrong. People are allowed to be frustrated with Garmin's many questionable design decisions. They're frustrated with Garmin, not you, so you don't need to take it so personally.

Certainly, you can be as frustrated as you desire. I am only trying to help those with questions I can answer. If they do not want to hear those answers because they do not meet their expectations, that's on them, not me.

I get that people easily become frustrated when their shiny new toy doesn't work the way they thought it should right out of the box, but that's life. I'm not being antagonistic, I am just being direct, and matter of fact.

Maybe they shouldn't be so combative with those here that take time out of their day to try and help them quickly resolve their hurdles so they can start enjoying their new tech. Unless, of course, they are only really here to vent and spew, and not really interested in learning anything.

And when they decide to turn on those helping them, suggesting they don't know anything about the subjects at hand, how is that not personal?

Doesn't matter. I still try to help.

Perhaps foolishly.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

That's because you didn't 'save' your 'Next Stage' waypoints as outlined here:  GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Geocaching > Next Stage > Save Waypoint.

Well, it would be more accurate to say I had no idea I needed to do anything to save a change that I thought I'd made to a geocache entry.

But, anyway, I'd love to learn how to save my next stage, but I tried to follow the 7x0 instructions on my 66st, and I get lost. It looks like an entirely different interface. Touch screen, maybe? There's no "info box" when I'm looking at the next stage on the map. What does "mark waypoint" mean?

I can create a waypoint for one of the next stages, of course, but we've already talked about how radically different a waypoint is from a geocache, so a waypoint's not too helpful for finding that multi.

(Just as an aside: it's kinda funny how many bugs I have to ignore to try play around with this with you. The big one is that all the caches I carefully loaded into my 66st this morning have disappeared, so I had to download some nearby caches on the fly to get one I could set a next stage on. Wow, if you could tell me how to avoid that problem, I'd be very grateful. And I have no idea why half the time when I select the next stage from the geocaching list, it tells me it's 30 miles north of where it should be. I suppose if I read that bug list, I'll be able to figure out what's happening.)

I understand the frustration. Garmin designed the GPS with the assumption that you are hunting for one geocache at a time. The next stage feature is useful in that regard so that when you log the next stage, it logs the original cache. Really I wish that the coordinates feature would just update the coordinates and move the original waypoint rather than create a next stage waypoint. That way, any cache could be "moved" in the GPS if corrected coordinates were necessary in the field.

It is what it is. And sometimes it might be easier to use the app with some multis and update the coordinates.

45 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

And when they decide to turn on those helping them, suggesting they don't know anything about the subjects at hand, how is that not personal?

Wait, what? I didn't turn on you. I objected when you told me my problem was caused by impatience and ignorance. And I certainly understand you know way more than I do about all things Garmin, but that doesn't mean I have to take your excuses and workarounds as proper solutions to the problems I've brought up. Instead, I pointed out the problems with the workarounds and explained why they didn't really address the problem.

I'm sorry you think this is an antagonistic exchange. I'm finding out lots of things and appreciate your information, I'm just annoyed that I've putting a lot of effort into using and learning the device over the last couple months, but you're fluffing me off as if I took it out of the box and started complaining within the first couple minutes without thinking.

12 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I understand the frustration. Garmin designed the GPS with the assumption that you are hunting for one geocache at a time. The next stage feature is useful in that regard so that when you log the next stage, it logs the original cache. Really I wish that the coordinates feature would just update the coordinates and move the original waypoint rather than create a next stage waypoint. That way, any cache could be "moved" in the GPS if corrected coordinates were necessary in the field.

The PN-60 that I used to use did just that: updating the coordinates just moves the cache. I always thought that was kinda klunky, and I'd heard garmins had a more elegant way of handing stages. I was looking forward to how much better it would be. So I'm disappointed that it really doesn't do anything that's functionally any different and, instead, just adds additional deficiencies and complications to what boils down to the same capability.

But, anyway, I'd love to learn how to save my next stage, but I tried to follow the 7x0 instructions on my 66st, and I get lost. It looks like an entirely different interface. Touch screen, maybe? There's no "info box" when I'm looking at the next stage on the map. What does "mark waypoint" mean?

The entire procedure is now available on the GPSMAP 66 Geocaching Page, with even more detail!

8^)

I objected when you told me my problem was caused by impatience and ignorance. 

I'm sorry you think this is an antagonistic exchange.

Whoa!!!

I never said you were impatient or ignorant. Someone else injected that verbiage.

I never said any of this was an antagonistic exchange, those were the words of The A-Team:

2 hours ago, The A-Team said:

That doesn't mean you can be antagonistic towards others who may not know as much and constantly tell people their expectations are wrong.

Wait, what? I didn't turn on you.... but that doesn't mean I have to take your excuses and workarounds as proper solutions to the problems I've brought up.

I'm finding out lots of things and appreciate your information, I'm just annoyed that I've putting a lot of effort into using and learning the device over the last couple months...

I am not making excuses or workarounds. I am trying to explain how particular features actually work on the device. I am more than happy to help. I want others to get as much enjoyment using these GPSr as I do.

Would you believe I have been learning how to use them myself for more than  a decade, and I still learn new things about them quite frequently! 

We just have to work through the frustration of learning how to use the tool as the tool was designed to be used.