Garmin GPSMAP 66 series announced on 2018-08-06

Mineral2

Since there hasn't been a post here announcing this - it's official. The GPSMAP 66 series is on its way.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/598455

• Large, 3” sunlight-readable color display for easy viewing
  • Multiple Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) support to track your travels in more challenging environments than GPS alone plus three-axis compass and barometric altimeter
  • Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription
  • Expanded wireless connectivity supports Active Weather for up-to-date forecasts and animated weather radar and Geocaching Live for mobile syncing and updates
  • Compatible with Garmin Explore™ website and app to help you manage tracks, routes and waypoints and review statistics from the field
  • Up to 16 hours of battery life in GPS mode; 1 week in expedition mode lets you explore longer than ever before on a single set of AA batteries

There are some interesting advancements here. It's no surprise that the same wireless connectivity introduced in the Oregon 700 series now makes its way to the GPSMAP line. It also seems that Garmin's answer to Basecamp is to move all services to the cloud/web version with Garmin Explore.

MGNSS - Does this model support more satellite systems than just the American GPS and Russian GLONASS?

From the images, it looks like there's some changes to the physical size and layout of the device with a larger screen and higher resolution screen. And it comes with a whopping 16GB of internal storage.

Edited by Mineral2
  • Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm curious about that myself. I wonder if it reduces the sampling frequency.

You can see 66's manual at Garmin's site.

"In expedition mode, the screen shuts off, the device enters low power mode, and the device collects fewer GPS track points."

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/gpsmap66s_st/EN-US/GUID-0A4F2614-9AF9-40D8-BE12-E8C8A0C1785E.html

5 hours ago, MaliBooBoo said:

Birdseye seems to be free and not requiring a subscription now.

What makes you think this? When I try to access my Birdseye subscription for my Oregon 550 it shows as expired (in 2015). I can find no way to reactivate it ... paid or free.

Edit: It just occurred to me that I am still running Basecamp 4.6.2. Maybe the free Birdseye requires 4.7?

Edited by alandb
additional info
1 hour ago, alandb said:

What makes you think this? When I try to access my Birdseye subscription for my Oregon 550 it shows as expired (in 2015). I can find no way to reactivate it ... paid or free.

Edit: It just occurred to me that I am still running Basecamp 4.6.2. Maybe the free Birdseye requires 4.7?

Straight from the info on the 66, one of its major selling points:

"Access to BirdsEye Satellite Imagery with direct-to-device downloads and no annual subscription"

I doubt it'll be free on your 550 though. I'm afraid you'll have to buy the 66 in order to get free Birdseye.

12 hours ago, alandb said:

I can find no way to reactivate it ... paid or free.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/outdoor
You have to re-purchase a subscription.

My guess is that BirdsEye will function through the new Garmin Explore app or through Garmin Express and the subscription will be tied to the device's serial number much in the way that the lifetime city navigator maps are tied to the Nuvi and Drive devices.

I'm hoping that the new Garmin Explore app and web service, which  sounds like it is a web service of Basecamp, will be available for the Oregon 700. And maybe even the older models with Bluetooth (Oregon 600) - I won't hold my breath though.

9 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

It's just a shame that the Oregon 600 was  made with connectivity in mind. But Garmin went and discontinued BaseCamp Mobile, the only link to a smartphone.

And the 64S.  Both have the hardware.  Garmin has zero motivation to add features to old devices.  It costs them money in the programming and they loose sales of new units.

Garmin does have a precedent in the automotive series for changing a paid subscription service to free ... Smartphone Link Traffic. And in that case, they did extend the free subscription to older devices that previously had to pay.  But I doubt that will happen with BirdsEye.

The thing I can't figure out is why it no longer seems possible to get a paid Birdseye subscription for my old Oregon 550. Whether I try through BaseCamp or My Maps on my.garmin.com, I get a "link not found" error.

2 hours ago, alandb said:

Garmin does have a precedent in the automotive series for changing a paid subscription service to free ... Smartphone Link Traffic. And in that case, they did extend the free subscription to older devices that previously had to pay.  But I doubt that will happen with BirdsEye.

The thing I can't figure out is why it no longer seems possible to get a paid Birdseye subscription for my old Oregon 550. Whether I try through BaseCamp or My Maps on my.garmin.com, I get a "link not found" error.

Did you go to the link above to purchase a birdseye subscription?

I think this may be a good replacement for my old declining 60CSx, but s or st?  I have looked at some of the other newer Garmins but am partial to buttons on my GPSR for some reason.  I love the touchscreen on my smartphones though.  I do load 3rd party maps onto my 60CSx and would do the same on a new unit so not sure if getting the st is worth the extra $ if maps can be loaded on the s?  Seems to be back order or pre orders, so I guess it will be a while before power users get their hands on it and provide some informative reviews.

8 hours ago, Cheminer Will said:

I think this may be a good replacement for my old declining 60CSx, but s or st?  I have looked at some of the other newer Garmins but am partial to buttons on my GPSR for some reason.  I love the touchscreen on my smartphones though.  I do load 3rd party maps onto my 60CSx and would do the same on a new unit so not sure if getting the st is worth the extra $ if maps can be loaded on the s?  Seems to be back order or pre orders, so I guess it will be a while before power users get their hands on it and provide some informative reviews.

They 66s and 66st both ship with 16GB of usable RAM, while the ST will use some of that memory for the topo map. You can load your maps to either unit like previous Garmin units.

4 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

They 66s and 66st both ship with 16GB of usable RAM, while the ST will use some of that memory for the topo map. You can load your maps to either unit like previous Garmin units.

Thanks!  So with the ST if you wanted to load a different topo map, you could turn off the topo map that comes with the ST.

Great.  Can't wait for the brave souls that go first to give their reviews of not only the unit but the version one firmware.  It is that initial firmware/software with all the usual bugs that makes me very hesitant to get any tech item when it is first released.  Although I have been very happy with my Pixel phones right from the start.

11 hours ago, Red90 said:

It probably won't be very buggy as it is identical to the Oregon 700 but with buttons instead of a touchscreen.  The other features are the same.

No, not exactly like the Oregon 7x0. Quite a few differences, actually. Many improvements, as well as a few features that did not make the transfer.... Definitely not the same.

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

No, not exactly like the Oregon 7x0. Quite a few differences, actually. Many improvements, as well as a few features that did not make the transfer.... Definitely not the same.

That is what I thought although I don't follow what you mean by "a few features that did not make the transfer"?  I may be a little dense this morning but if you could elaborate on that I would be grateful.  Thanks.

On 9/15/2018 at 6:52 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Quite a few differences, actually. Many improvements, as well as a few features that did not make the transfer

Like what?  There are always a few minor things, but 95% of the features are the same.  I'll pretty much guarantee, 99% of the code is the same with a few variations.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=598455&compareProduct=550460

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Red90 said:

Like what?  There are always a few minor things, but 95% of the features are the same.  I'll pretty much guarantee, 99% of the code is the same with a few variations.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=598455&compareProduct=550460

- multi-GNSS

-free Birdseye

-16gb memory

- MIL STD 810G ruggedness for thermal, shock and water performance

- RINEX Logging: yes

- 1 week in expedition mode

- compatible with night vision goggles

The Oregon can come with a camera, currently a 66 cannot.

Edited by MaliBooBoo
added a couple of items
  • Helpful 1

I was discussing unit software reliability.  Nothing in the list is more than a minor change to the unit software.  Even then, the rest of the list is pretty minor.

- multi-GNSS

This is in the GPS chip itself.  No affect on the unit software.

-free Birdseye

-16 gb memory (this and the expedition mode are the only actual useful changes...)

- MIL STD 810G ruggedness for thermal, shock and water performance (marketing crapola...)

- compatible with night vision goggles

Nothing to do with the unit software

- RINEX Logging: yes

1 week in expedition mode

Pretty much this is the only change, which is a minor software tweak they could add to the Oregon if they withed.

• Helpful 1
On 9/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, Cheminer Will said:

Really. Exactly the same as the 700 except for the touchscreen?  Thanks, I did not think that and will have to look at the specs on both myself.

Also, the Oregon series uses an internal patch antenna (has been through many revisions and refinements) while the GPSMAP has the much loved and hihgly desired external quad-helix GPS antenna.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Red90 said:

I've seen no performance difference between the different modern antennas, so personally I think it is not something to worry about.

IIRC, the patch antenna was on the front of the 450 (which makes sense if you're holding it screen-up in your hand), but it's on the back of the 600 (and possibly the 700). I noticed performance differences almost immediately when I upgraded. I can see the EPE improve if I flip the 600 upside-down and worsen if I flip it back upright. Unfortunately, carrying it upside-down isn't very convenient, so I usually live with the decreased performance.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:49 PM, Red90 said:

I've seen no performance difference between the different modern antennas, so personally I think it is not something to worry about.

I agree as far as the Glonass/Gps combo.. amazing .. compared to just gps and waas..although not so much the antenna.. I just tuck the 680 into my  (wifes 700 is the same) pocket and it records perfect and accurate all day in deep ravines while hiking up mountains and while bending over scrambling up rocks or down ledges,etc. 

Edited by capt caper
On 9/18/2018 at 1:40 PM, The A-Team said:

IIRC, the patch antenna was on the front of the 450 (which makes sense if you're holding it screen-up in your hand), but it's on the back of the 600 (and possibly the 700). I noticed performance differences almost immediately when I upgraded. I can see the EPE improve if I flip the 600 upside-down and worsen if I flip it back upright. Unfortunately, carrying it upside-down isn't very convenient, so I usually live with the decreased performance.

They moved the antenna to the very top edge for the Oregon 7x0, so it gets full view face up or face down and when held vertically.

Well I've had my 66s in hand for the last 24 hours and I would have to say it's a great device, the only thing I'm having a problem with is when I'm out geocaching it does not give you the option to select if the cache is found or not yet. I think it might be a software problem. The instructions says go to geocaching > log but that isn't in the device. Other than that it's been spot on the the screen is amazing.

13 hours ago, bonstetten said:

The first 66s(t) are delivered in Switzerland and Geocacher have made the first experiences with them.
https://podcast.paravan.ch/?p=6575 (german only, but with photos)

Thanks!  That is a good review, even translated from German!  Interesting that they could only display 4 data fields, not two.  That must either be user error or software error and hopefully is either not really the situation, or if it is, will be fixed in the first firmware update.  When you see their two models held side by side, the 66 really does look a lot larger!  Glad I have big hands.

Edited by Cheminer Will
10 hours ago, tommylee84 said:

the only thing I'm having a problem with is when I'm out geocaching it does not give you the option to select if the cache is found or not yet. I think it might be a software problem. The instructions says go to geocaching > log but that isn't in the device. 

Interesting.  Another thing that must be a software mistake.  Even my old 60CSx has that, and I have also seen it on other Garmin units.  So if must either be there somewhere or be a first release mistake or something. 

The hardware of the 66 ist fine - it like it.

BUT: The Geocaching functionality of the 66 seems unchanged to the Oregon7x0, GPSM 64, ..: It's still not possible to do real logs using  the comment you entered or send the log as filednotes to edit.

If you found a cache, it sends a default logtext . If you entered a comment when logging it does nothing. (Please confirm this behavior)

Still after years I do not understand why Garmin does not hear to customers or ask beta testers before releasing a  new version. I am convinced, that Garmin will be able to increase software quality. 

8 hours ago, bonstetten said:

The Geocaching functionality of the 66 seems unchanged to the Oregon7x0, GPSM 64, ..: It's still not possible to do real logs using  the comment you entered or send the log as filednotes to edit.

If you found a cache, it sends a default logtext . If you entered a comment when logging it does nothing. (Please confirm this behavior)

Oh, OK.  I thought Tommy was saying that you could not mark a geocache waypoint as "found".  Like in my 60CSx where you have a menu button choice after navigating to a cache that allows you to mark it as found and then gives you a choice to "Find Next", "Exit", and such.  I thought that was what he was saying you could no longer do with the 66s.

Edited by Cheminer Will
1 hour ago, Cheminer Will said:

Oh, OK.  I thought Tommy was saying that you could not mark a geocache waypoint as "found".  Like in my 60CSx where you have a menu button choice after navigating to a cache that allows you to mark it as found and then gives you a choice to "Find Next", "Exit", and such.  I thought that was what he was saying you could no longer do with the 66s.

The post is not well written for anyone other than the author.

Just a link to another review:  https://www.navigation-professionell.de/en/garmin-gpsmap-66s-gpsmap-66st-first-impressions-review/

And another summary from the same site that seems to include some slightly different info:  https://www.navigation-professionell.de/garmin-gpsmap-66s-gpsmap-66st-test-erfahrungen/  Translation can be amusing at times thanks to Google but at least we now know the 66s is good for "tender hands".

As an aside to a review posted 7 replies above, I see some of the graphics in the 2nd review here show only two data fields displayed.  So that may not be the issue the previous reviewer thought.

Edited by Cheminer Will
24 minutes ago, Cheminer Will said:

I see some of the graphics in the 2nd review here show only two data fields displayed. 

You're mixing up the Trip Computer page (with two data fields shown on navigation-professionell.de) and the actually wanted two data field dashboard on the map page.

Hans

8 minutes ago, HHL said:

You're mixing up the Trip Computer page (with two data fields shown on navigation-professionell.de) and the actually wanted two data field dashboard on the map page.

Hans

Ah.  Thanks.  Having only two data fields on the map page is important.

Edited by Cheminer Will