"Rogues of Waymarking"

kaschper69

LOL I'm glad someone noticed. That's my group and it exists so that I can propose a couple of new categories. But if I thought being a thorn in Groundspeak's side would get us a little maintenance over here I would do it in a heartbeat. I"ll have my three members as soon as I can convince Prince By-Tor to read his email.

Edited by The Snowdog
On 9/8/2018 at 1:06 AM, The Snowdog said:

LOL I'm glad someone noticed. That's my group and it exists so that I can propose a couple of new categories. But if I thought being a thorn in Groundspeak's side would get us a little maintenance over here I would do it in a heartbeat. I"ll have my three members as soon as I can convince Prince By-Tor to read his email.

@The Snowdog  Perhaps you could ask Groundspeak how to get some issues addressed.  They do want to support all of their members, not just the Premium Members or those that are exclusive to Geocaching.  

Also, as a business they do need to focus on where they devote time, money and resources.  What would be the return on those investments?  What would be the potential losses if such enhancements are not performed?

Don't get me wrong, I used to be heavily involved in Waymarking but became discouraged by the lack of acceptance or activity from other Geocachers.  It's pointless to dive into what is wrong with Waymarking just like it is with what is wrong with Geocaching.  And before anyone jumps on the whole "quality of the content" train, I'd suggest taking a closer look at the same in Geocaching.  When someone believes that lifting a lampskirt in a Wal-Mart parking lot is a better experience than taking a picture of the Statue of Liberty then I don't think I can help change that mindset.

Find a way to make Waymarking more attractive that it increases the activity and I bet Groundspeak would do the same.

4 minutes ago, The Blue Quasar said:

Don't get me wrong, I used to be heavily involved in Waymarking but became discouraged by the lack of acceptance or activity from other Geocachers.  It's pointless to dive into what is wrong with Waymarking just like it is with what is wrong with Geocaching. 

Find a way to make Waymarking more attractive that it increases the activity and I bet Groundspeak would do the same.

8NutsMotherGoose did an EXCELLENT job promoting Waymarking at the North Texas Geocaching Festival (or whatever the real name was) earlier this year. He hhad a table set up, with a good sized Waymarking sign to be visible. He and a few others of us spent some quality tie around the table, answering questions about Waymarking.

We had our Pins and Stickers, and got a few folks to get their first Waymark, posting in Pin & Sticker Seekers.

We got a very good reception from the general geocaching public there. A number had heard about Waymarking, but didn't understand it. So we explained it.

Did we get any new Waymarkers? I don't know. But I know I had a great time, actually meeting (face-to-face) some of the folks I've interacted with in the Forums and some that I'd visited their marks or they had visited mine.

My opinion: Waymarking and Benchmarking are Groundspeak's unwanted children because there's no money in them. I am betting that Groundspeak makes good money on things that geocachers buy (like geo coins and trackables) and so that is where their focus is. Ever wonder why they run souvenir campaigns? There's always a geo coin set for sale to go along with it.

I will probably move even further into Waymarking and Benchmarking as I get older and can't keep up with the T5 crowd, so I really do wish that Groundspeak would throw a little more love in those directions. But we can't even get an update on the benchmark database, much less maintenance or improvements on Waymarking.com.

• Upvote 1