Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
BK-Hunters

Horseshoe Pits

What do you think? 

Most of us have seen at least one horseshoe pit.  

Similar Categories to just name a few:

Amateur Baseball Fields
Artificial Climbing Walls
Curling Clubs
Disc Golf Courses
Ice Skating Rinks
Inline Hockey Rinks
Lawn Bowling
Outdoor Mazes
Paintball Outdoor and Indoor Fields
Roller Skating Rinks
Skateparks
Tennis Facilities

2 hours ago, BK-Hunters said:

What do you think? 

Most of us have seen at least one horseshoe pit.  

Similar Categories to just name a few:

Amateur Baseball Fields
Artificial Climbing Walls
Curling Clubs
Disc Golf Courses
Ice Skating Rinks
Inline Hockey Rinks
Lawn Bowling
Outdoor Mazes
Paintball Outdoor and Indoor Fields
Roller Skating Rinks
Skateparks
Tennis Facilities

My guess is that it won't get past the global issue - pretty well limited to North America.  

They are becoming rarer.  For the sake of history, I would support the category.

"Most of us have seen at least one horseshoe pit".

Not I. Had to look it up. Probably saw one on American Westerns.  Keep tossin' tossin' tossin' though the pits are sandy keep dem horseshoes flyin'

Sung to the theme song of my favourite Western series when growing up - Rawhide.  

• Upvote 1

This game and variants with other objects than horseshoes is probably played all over world. But as a party game that can be played everywhere and leaves no traces.

However, if you are looking for permanent pits or rinks, competitive sports, clubs and championships, you will not find very much, but it looks like there are some similar isolated local traditions spread all over the world.

Next to Horseshoe and Quoits (also mainly US), I found Platzgen (played with a heavy strange shaped steel object, there are only about 30 clubs, almost all in the southern part of the Swiss canton Bern) and Plattenwerfen (northern Austria and southern Bavaria, maybe 3000 licenced players). At least some of those clubs seem to have permanent pits. Maybe you can find more examples in other parts of the world.

I just created a Multifarious Multifarious category idea where this might fit. It would be a category where items were always voted on by the officers if they thought it interesting. It would contain things that will never be categories IF the officers thought the waymark interesting.

• Funny 1