Syncing

peem

Is anyone else having the 'Syncing' error pop-up. Every time I connect my GPS to the computer I get a pop-up notice saying "Sync failed, there was an error syncing your device. Please try again".

Ok so I've tried again but as I say, it's every time. I've updated Garmin Express, I've uninstalled and re-installed it but I still get the message. I manually update Garmin Express even though it says it is up to date. I sync my device from there but still I get the message!

Now I have to say even if I do none of the above it still works ok. I just feel it's an annoying pop-up and wondered if it's just happening to me or others having the same issue and can it be fixed?

4 hours ago, peem said:

Is anyone else having the 'Syncing' error pop-up. Every time I connect my GPS to the computer I get a pop-up notice saying "Sync failed, there was an error syncing your device. Please try again".

Ok so I've tried again but as I say, it's every time. I've updated Garmin Express, I've uninstalled and re-installed it but I still get the message. I manually update Garmin Express even though it says it is up to date. I sync my device from there but still I get the message!

Now I have to say even if I do none of the above it still works ok. I just feel it's an annoying pop-up and wondered if it's just happening to me or others having the same issue and can it be fixed?

You didn't say which Operating System it is, what version of Garmin Express it is, what model of device it is, what updates it has, nor how you connect.  But other than that :ph34r:, yes, there are some threads about the error box when "Garmin Express" otherwise works.

Have you tried starting Garmin Express, having its window all open and happy before connecting the device?

Have you tried uninstalling, then re-installing Garmin Express?  In the other threads, the people who have the problem never return after various ordinary things are suggested, such as a clean re-install.  So it's hard to tell what works and what doesn't.  But I had that error especially while trying to send Lists, and the clean re-install fixed it.

Not having the problem.  PC, Windows 10, Garmin Express 6.8.1.0.  Just transferred a List to my 600 and it worked as it should.

Edit to add:  I do not get the syncing failure message you describe but I do get a different failure message.  For quite some time, whenever I connect my GPS (I have a 450T and a 600) and click "Send to Garmin" to transfer a list, I get a pop-up message that says GarminExpress cannot be detected.  This happens whether GE is already open or not.  It's a false message because GE connects to the device and gives me the box to download the list.  I just close out the pop-up and complete the transfer without issue.

Edited by icezebra11

Oh dear, I meant to put most (not all) of the info you mention as a footnote kunarion but by the time I got to the end I had forgotten :wacko:.

Anyway I'm running a laptop with Windows 10,  Garmin express is 6.8.1.0. It's a Garmin 700 software version 4.00 (up to date) connected with usb.

Yes I had uninstalled and re-installed it as I mentioned. I have now removed all traces of it and reinstalled again.

No I hadn't started G/Ex first. It was always started after the 700 but I've just tried it that way now. Although I don't get the pop-up I click on the 700 symbol which now has a red circle with a white 'x' on it. I click on Sync and up pops the warning again but this time on the top of the G/Ex window. As icezebra11 mentions it does seem to be a false positive because it does do what I'm asking of it.

1 hour ago, peem said:

Oh dear, I meant to put most (not all) of the info you mention as a footnote kunarion but by the time I got to the end I had forgotten :wacko:.

Anyway I'm running a laptop with Windows 10,  Garmin express is 6.8.1.0. It's a Garmin 700 software version 4.00 (up to date) connected with usb.

Yes I had uninstalled and re-installed it as I mentioned. I have now removed all traces of it and reinstalled again.

No I hadn't started G/Ex first. It was always started after the 700 but I've just tried it that way now. Although I don't get the pop-up I click on the 700 symbol which now has a red circle with a white 'x' on it. I click on Sync and up pops the warning again but this time on the top of the G/Ex window. As icezebra11 mentions it does seem to be a false positive because it does do what I'm asking of it.

I wonder if it's different in other browsers. It also seems like something that could be fixed in a future Garmin Express update.

I don't like to fiddle with errors as much as everybody else does just to load the GPS, so I almost always use Pocket Queries, including Pocket Queries made from lists.

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I wonder if it's different in other browsers. It also seems like something that could be fixed in a future Garmin Express update.

Thanks kunarion!

I was assuming the false message I was getting was a Garmin Express or Groundspeak issue and hadn't considered it might be a browser issue.  I have been using Chrome as my primary browser so I tried transferring lists using Internet Explorer and Edge.  They both worked flawlessly, no "Garmin Express not detected" pop-up.

So I looked at my Chrome settings.  I was running version 68.0.xxxx.xx and there was an update available so I ran it.  Now it's 69.0.xxxx.xx.  Tried a List transfer and no more annoying error pop-up.  Yay!!!  :D

44 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

Thanks kunarion!

I was assuming the false message I was getting was a Garmin Express or Groundspeak issue and hadn't considered it might be a browser issue.  I have been using Chrome as my primary browser so I tried transferring lists using Internet Explorer and Edge.  They both worked flawlessly, no "Garmin Express not detected" pop-up.

So I looked at my Chrome settings.  I was running version 68.0.xxxx.xx and there was an update available so I ran it.  Now it's 69.0.xxxx.xx.  Tried a List transfer and no more annoying error pop-up.  Yay!!!  :D

That's great! And good to know. :D