Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hzoi

Tips on fixing the power button for Montana 600?

The rubber covering for the power button on my Montana finally gave way this week, leaving a small hole in the rubber housing that exposes the little tiny plastic switch set inside.  I have been using small twigs or pens to power on and off (and thankfully have't gotten caught in the rain). 

When my household goods finally get here, I'm considering using silicone gasket sealant I picked up at one point to re-seal the hole, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that so that the little button inside is guaranteed to actually get pushed.  Wanted to check if anyone had done this fix to see if there were any recommendations.

6 hours ago, hzoi said:

The rubber covering for the power button on my Montana finally gave way this week, leaving a small hole in the rubber housing that exposes the little tiny plastic switch set inside.  I have been using small twigs or pens to power on and off (and thankfully have't gotten caught in the rain). 

When my household goods finally get here, I'm considering using silicone gasket sealant I picked up at one point to re-seal the hole, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that so that the little button inside is guaranteed to actually get pushed.  Wanted to check if anyone had done this fix to see if there were any recommendations.

Have you ever tried " Sugru"?  I think the advantage over a tube of sealant is Sugru is moldable.  Whatever you use, you can let it set a little too thick and then carve it into shape after it cures.

• Helpful 1

I repaired my Oregon 450 with a calculator button and some ducktape.

Used an old calculator which had rubbery buttons. Destroyed it and cut one button from the flexible button-map. That fitted nicely in the hole of the 450 giving it a good on/off button. Then covered the hole with some tape.

This is how I repaired the power switch on my Oregon 550T. It is a simple fix and works great for me.

Very nice fix Alan!  Does electrical tape stay put ok even if it gets wet?  Maybe consider using duct tape instead?

The electrical tape has worked well for me and has remained water resistant and not loosened. It has been rained on a time or two, but I haven't actually dropped or submerged it in water.

Two old Oregon 450s in this house, both using   eraser with electrical tape switch.  One in constant use, and has been like this for a least a couple of years. The other lightly used,  but it has been mounted on a bike in heavy rain.

I've  waded with mine, submerged it,  forgetting to hold  it up above the water    ;-)   - it did fine.

I  suggest cutting the eraser just a tad below the level of opening, or equal to the lowest part of that gentle curve, rather than above. It wrinkles and stresses the tape less that way.

Next time I replace the electrical, I may try duct tape, IF there's any that isn't ancient ancient ancient around the house.

My experience with duct tape is that it isn't as flexible as electrical tape, the glue tends to dry out eventually, and the vinyl layer on duct tape is pretty thin. I would guess that a good quality electrical tape would tend to be more waterproof than duct tape, although duct tape may be stronger and less prone to being punctured. 

I also used the pencil eraser + tape to fix my Oregon's power button. And here I thought I was being clever :lol: 
I used a waterproof duct tape. Outer layer thicker but not unlike electrical tape. Thick adhesive layer that smells as if old tires is a major component.