Found and logged a few with Garmin... now how to upload?

n1sft

Ok, me and the kids are liking geocaching, and we’ve figured out downloading the GPX to the Garmin e-Trex.

we found a few, and on the GPS handheld, we selected “attempted/found” and then we entered a log comment on the Garmin.

so, now my GPX file for those caches are more up to date than the file on geocaching.com

how do I send my log and comments from the field back up to geocaching.com?

I can access the GPX files easily from the windows file explorer.  But where in the website can we send-back our Garmin logs?

does the website somehow diff the files, so not to overwrite, but rather just append the individual cache logs?

what if I and other finder download the same GPX file for the same cache? And then we both independently find and log the cache on our respective gps handhelds?

thanks in advance.

craig 

The GPX file is never modified by the GPS, it's only purpose is to provide cache information to the GPS. Once you find (or DNF) a cache that information is written to a file named geocache_visits.txt which can be used to send back to Groundspeak, https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=548. Since I use third party software to log my caches I've never used this so hopefully someone with experience will step in.

You can always go to the cache page and choose the green "log geocache" button on the right side of the page to log your caches, this is probably the most common method used by GPS users.

• Helpful 1
17 hours ago, n1sft said:

Ok, me and the kids are liking geocaching, and we’ve figured out downloading the GPX to the Garmin e-Trex.

we found a few, and on the GPS handheld, we selected “attempted/found” and then we entered a log comment on the Garmin.

so, now my GPX file for those caches are more up to date than the file on geocaching.com

how do I send my log and comments from the field back up to geocaching.com?

I can access the GPX files easily from the windows file explorer.  But where in the website can we send-back our Garmin logs?

does the website somehow diff the files, so not to overwrite, but rather just append the individual cache logs?

what if I and other finder download the same GPX file for the same cache? And then we both independently find and log the cache on our respective gps handhelds?

thanks in advance.

craig 

Glad you and the kids are having fun!

Your logging method sounds complicated to me! I log with either the free app, or at home on the computer. Super easy!

2 hours ago, 31BMSG said:

The GPX file is never modified by the GPS, it's only purpose is to provide cache information to the GPS. Once you find (or DNF) a cache that information is written to a file named geocache_visits.txt which can be used to send back to Groundspeak, https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=138&pgid=548. Since I use third party software to log my caches I've never used this so hopefully someone with experience will step in.

You can always go to the cache page and choose the green "log geocache" button on the right side of the page to log your caches, this is probably the most common method used by GPS users.

Thank you!  Exactly what I was hoping for.  :)  Following the instructions that you refer to, the "upload drafts" button works a charm right from the geocaching.co, dashboard.  With the garmin connected to the PC, the "geocache_visits.txt" file was easily browsed to, and uploaded directly.  

thanks 31!

46 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Glad you and the kids are having fun!

Your logging method sounds complicated to me! I log with either the free app, or at home on the computer. Super easy!

Max, the garmin worked perfectly in the white mountains, while the iPhone had lost cell coverage hours prior.  The handheld GPS device is "familiar" to old dudes like me, I've been using GPS devices since the 90's... just not for geocaching  :)  I just didn't know the garmin was writing a second raw data file called "geocache_visits.txt"  It makes perfect sense - because like I thought, you can't re-upload a GPX file without fear of clashes.  

Thanks for reading my post!  

;) Craig

51 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Many GPSr users mark caches as Found/Not Found on their device, and some will also add a note.  This is almost identical to creating a Draft log on a smartphone App.  The only difference is the extra step to get the file holding those notes from the GPSr to the website ... as explained by 31BMSG above. 

9 minutes ago, n1sft said:

Max, the garmin worked perfectly in the white mountains, while the iPhone had lost cell coverage hours prior.  The handheld GPS device is "familiar" to old dudes like me, I've been using GPS devices since the 90's... just not for geocaching  :)  I just didn't know the garmin was writing a second raw data file called "geocache_visits.txt"  It makes perfect sense - because like I thought, you can't re-upload a GPX file without fear of clashes.  

From the way you worded your question and the equipment in your profile picture I suspected you may have seen a GPS receiver before ;) Happy caching!

2 hours ago, n1sft said:

Thank you!  Exactly what I was hoping for.  :)  Following the instructions that you refer to, the "upload drafts" button works a charm right from the geocaching.co, dashboard.  With the garmin connected to the PC, the "geocache_visits.txt" file was easily browsed to, and uploaded directly.  

thanks 31!

Thanks for reading my post!  

;) Craig

You do know that your log is tech gibberish to me? LOL I'm still waiting for someone to write a "Offline Geocaching for Dummies" book. I desperately need it.

We carry a very old handheld GPS with us everywhere we go. Everywhere! I absolutely love the GC app, and use it often, but it does not get a signal in rural Oklahoma where I often geocache. Hence carrying the old little yellow GPS everywhere we go. We've gone thru several over the years, but that old thing just keeps on working! 

P.S. I love your profile photo!