OR 450 to MT 610 or OR 700 Upgrade?

MtnHermit

My Oregon 450 while still working fine is getting a bit long in the tooth (many screen dents), considering an upgrade. Looking at a Montana 610 which appears to be a 3 YO design and a Oregon 700, a 2 YO design. Both cost the same, under $350 at GPSCity. Some questions:

• Is the capacitive touchscreen of the OR of value over the resistive TS?
  • Looking at a YT video the OR still had a +/- on the map screen, no pinch to zoom?
  • Bigger screen and heavier vs smaller screen and lighter?
  • MT comes with Lion battery, not available for OR?
  • I'm running firmware v5.50 on my OR 450 to avoid the connecting line between tracks, as I understand all new Garmin's have this connecting track line?
  • Does the MT have a lanyard bar a the top rear? OR bar lower right?
  • Anything else to consider?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by MtnHermit
  • IMHO, the capacitive touchscreen is far superior is use and durability to the resistive touchscreen.
  • Yes, the capacitive touch screen has pinch to zoom, just like your smartphone. The +/- buttons can be configured as you desire.
  • The Oregon 7x0 series is by far my favorite geocaching GPSr (I have them all).
  • The rechargeable AA battery pack works very well, but I find I get even better run time using eneloop pro AA recahrgeables. The small Li battery in the Montana does not provide longer run times.
  • The Oregon 7x0 has an excellent new track log control application 'Current Activity' that helps manage track logs so well you will wonder how you ever lived without it.
  • The Oregon 7x0 can load live, up to the minute current information for geocaches, any where, any time, via wifi or your smartphone via bluetooth. This is essentially what makes it my favorite geocaching GPSr.

Read up on all the features of the Oregon 7x0 series at GPSRChive.

Edited by Atlas Cached
1 hour ago, Atlas Cached said:

The Oregon 7x0 has an excellent new track log control application 'Current Activity' that helps manage track logs so well you will wonder how you ever lived without it.

This would be of interest. Did a GPSRChive, Google and Youtube search on Current Activity, found nothing. Do you know of any more info? Is this an enhancement to Profiles like I have on my OR 450?

Thanks for the reply. 

1 hour ago, MtnHermit said:

My Oregon 450 while still working fine is getting a bit long in the tooth (many screen dents), considering an upgrade. Looking at a Montana 610 which appears to be a 3 YO design and a Oregon 700, a 2 YO design. Both cost the same, under $350 at GPSCity. Some questions:

• Is the capacitive touchscreen of the OR of value over the resistive TS?
  • Looking at a YT video the OR still had a +/- on the map screen, no pinch to zoom?
  • Bigger screen and heavier vs smaller screen and lighter?
  • MT comes with Lion battery, not available for OR?
  • I'm running firmware v5.50 on my OR 450 to avoid the connecting line between tracks, as I understand all new Garmin's have this connecting track line?
  • Does the MT have a lanyard bar a the top rear? OR bar lower right?
  • Anything else to consider?

Thanks for your thoughts.

My brother has a Garmin Monterra (new flavor is the Montana) in his Jeep.  Unlike most other Garmin handhelds, it has nice loud voice prompts for street navigation.  It is bulky and suitable as a car nav, and it has a sweet charger mount.  And its ability to load caches as "caches" was tempting.  Looking at it's pros and cons, I chose to buy a Nuvi for my car. For me, it was the price vs. what I might tend to leave inside my car.

I have the capacitive touchscreen on my Garmin 650T, the 700 has the same thing.  The screen is crystal clear and more sensitive than the 450 or 550.  Way more sensitive, so much so that you must account for it.  I use the clamshell case, but things still get ghost pressed inside that case.  There are settings to cause the touchscreen to lock, worth considering.  I've cached in a serious downpour, and the touchscreen became unusable.  Big raindrops on the screen caused the device to not know when I did a "touch".  So now I don't cache in a thunderstorm. :P

Edited by kunarion
14 minutes ago, kunarion said:

My brother has a Garmin Monterra (new flavor is the Montana) in his Jeep. 

The Monterra is now discontinued. The Montana has pins that connect to a special mount, that mount has a speaker for voice prompts. In any case, I have a 7" Nuvi for the car, awesome.

Thanks

14 hours ago, MtnHermit said:

This would be of interest. Did a GPSRChive, Google and Youtube search on Current Activity, found nothing. Do you know of any more info? Is this an enhancement to Profiles like I have on my OR 450?

Thanks for the reply. 

At the previous GPSrChive link, select Applications > Current Activity.