Probably very stupid question

3_KäseHoch

Hi there! I've got a dumb question but I've been trying to figure it out by myself for three hours and I just couldn't so...how do I convert a long number to coordinates? I solved my first mystery and got the number 3642024607202. Now I've been typing that in any different ways that occurred to me into Google Maps but it just doesn't leed me to the place I think this cache is placed. Why is 36°42'02.4 -6°07'20.2 not right? I'm desperate, sorry for such a nooby question. 

12 minutes ago, nex89 said:

Why is 36°42'02.4 -6°07'20.2 not right?

Well, that appears to be Degrees Minutes Seconds. Geocaching uses Degrees Minutes. So if you're asking about a straight-to-coordinates from a row of numbers (if that's actually the next step to take) it'd be 36 degrees, 42.024 minutes and 6 degrees, 7.202 minutes.

(Harry typed less than I did.) ;)

1 minute ago, TriciaG said:

Well, that appears to be Degrees Minutes Seconds. Geocaching uses Degrees Minutes. So if you're asking about a straight-to-coordinates from a row of numbers (if that's actually the next step to take) it'd be 36 degrees, 42.024 minutes and 6 degrees, 7.202 minutes.

(Harry typed less than I did.) ;)

Yup, that's correct. I thought I tried everything but apparently I did not lol. Thanks a lot 

20 minutes ago, bigSalmon1 said:

am new to this just another dumb question what are Boat required icons?

It's pretty much just what it says: The cache location/design requires the use of a boat.

It may be along a river or lake, where there isn't a safe way to access the cache location by land (e.g., at the base of a cliff). It may be on an island, where there is no bridge to the island. It may just be a cache that is designed to be found using a boat, even though someone who wanted to could find it without one, like one of my milestone caches.