Trouble with GSAK

micp239

14 hours ago, on4bam said:

Why would windows software support Mac OS? If you really want that to work you might set up a VM.

Note that setting up a VM means installing a copy of windows software on the Mac that will run in the VM container.  If one does not want to violate the TOU for the windows software begin installed it also means obtaining a license to run it on the Mac.  From the windows TOU:

". Use with Virtualization Technologies. Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer."

There are a couple of others ways that one can run GSAK on a Mac.  One is to run a dual boot system and reboot the mac everytime one wants to switch operating systems, just to run a windows application.  The other is to use an application called Wine which does *not* involved running windows on the Mac but rewrites the windows application using MacOS system calls so it will run.  I've tried this and it's a bit of a headache and *still* requires access to a Windows machine to obtain user credentials for running GSAK.  

To me, the ultimate solution would be to develop a web application which has the functionality of GSAK, ideally as a community open source project so that it can be managed and extended to meet the needs of all users and not just those that run a windows computer.

6 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Note that setting up a VM means installing a copy of windows software on the Mac that will run in the VM container.  If one does not want to violate the TOU for the windows software begin installed it also means obtaining a license to run it on the Mac.  From the windows TOU:

I just reacted to the "complaint" GSAK should run on Mac. I'd like to see a GSAK for Linux version but realize it won't happen. I read MNTA's post like "if my gasoline car would only run on diesel" :rolleyes:

BTW, looks you didn't go after GC40 and kept to "run of the mill" stuff while in Hasselt.

1 hour ago, on4bam said:

I just reacted to the "complaint" GSAK should run on Mac. I'd like to see a GSAK for Linux version but realize it won't happen. I read MNTA's post like "if my gasoline car would only run on diesel" :rolleyes:

BTW, looks you didn't go after GC40 and kept to "run of the mill" stuff while in Hasselt.

Creating a Linux version wouldn't be any easier than creating a Mac version.  As long as most of the code would have to be rewriten, writing it as a web application (rather than a native app) would allow it to work on any platform capable of running a web browser.

I did want to go after GC40.   I left home around 7:00AM, drove to the airport (about an hour away) then took a 2 hour flight to NYC.  My flight to Dublin was at 9:00PM so I spent most of the day in the airport.  I got to my hotel in Dublin around 8AM and decided to take a nap before taking the train down to Bray.   When I woke up I saw that it was 4:30PM so didn't do any caching at all while in Ireland.

I mostly just did the few caches at the university in Hasselt because I only had a bicycle for transportation.  We did a day trip to Antwerp but I was with the other attendees for the workshop (6 people from Cuba, 4 from Ethiopia) and probably walked by dozens of caches but couldn't really stop to find any.  Over the weekend I took a train to Ettelbruck, Luxembourg where I found five caches (and had a couple of DNFs).  Luxembourg was my 30th country, and the 15th in Europe where I've found a cache.