Beauty is in the mind of the beholder

Harry Dolphin

Just now, Harry Dolphin said:

I think I know what this is supposed to represent.  But that's not the first thing that came to mind!  Local GeoArt.  Should this be changed to be more family friendly?

HP.jpg

What is it?  I mean, not to sound naïve, pure as the wind-driven snow.  What is the title of the piece?

57 minutes ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Think they're glad to see me?

It's based on the monument in the park, right?  It's been right there, going commando on New Jersey since 1929.  So it's not the Geoart guys' fault.  If you see anything "off" about it, that's just the product of your own dirty, dirty mind.

...And all the innuendos I'd post in the logs along the artwork.  Wait.  I mean, the cool logs, nice family-friendly logs.  Of course.

2014-08-28_16_25_14_View_of_High_Point_Monument_from_the_base_in_High_Point_State_Park,_New_Jersey.jpg

Edited by kunarion

It's easy to see that the CO designed his "art" to get a reaction. The curved base for instance, doesn't represent the monument at all. 

Edited to say,, Just looked at the map, zoomed in and out, and see that the similarity to anatomy pretty much only exists at the one level. Still not sure about the curved base but I really don't see anything wrong with the art. 

p.s. I wouldn't want to wear the Tshirt displayed below out in public. :lol:

Edited by Mudfrog

Untitled-ph2.jpg

It looks like these things aren't supposed to be zoomed out quite so much.  At the point where the Monument Geoart converges, the "Pi Geoart" (circled) becomes unrecognizable.  Even that "star" is looking less than stellar.  Zoom in, and they become more like themselves.

Edited by kunarion
57 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Untitled-ph2.jpg

It looks like these things aren't supposed to be zoomed out quite so much.  At the point where the Monument Geoart converges, the "Pi Geoart" (circled) becomes unrecognizable.  Even that "star" is looking less than stellar.  Zoom in, and they become more like themselves.

Well, yes.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  I did finish the Pi series.  Got part of the TriState Star.  The level of zoom can make a difference.  

Pi.jpg

40 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

It may be that it's wider because it was more compressed it would look... worse?  That may have been a requirement for publishing. *shrug* Only the CO and reviewer know, really.

There seem to be quite a few caches that are designed to highlight a particular... feature... and named for it and everything, yet were published just fine.  A Cache Owner could break with tradition and call it something family-friendly, "all my friends call it Y Rock, although it also goes by less flattering names".  It's something by definition "in nature", so you can imagine most anything in nature. Visitors may get a kick out of it anyway, "heh, that looks just like a Z"!!

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/6c8da164-2e62-4b6f-b805-ff914faf7aaf.jpg

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/large/7a7cf623-b358-40b5-a012-8f5df9f3129e.jpg

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/large/e6713a07-cb67-4d94-ae21-2990277d2305.jpg

https://img.geocaching.com/cache/large/d2c19702-191d-4c04-9477-fa0e881b50fd.jpg

In the OP's case, it's the kind of monument that, if you're gonna make a representation of it, no matter what you do, you'll end up with something like.  You know.  At least this one is simply called "High Point State Park".

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1