Trackable Help

EyebrowsMaster

47 minutes ago, EyebrowsMaster said:

I have recently found a trackable in a cache. I typed in the code and clicked 'Log it' When I went on there the only options I have are 'Move to collection' and 'Write Note' But I need one that says 'Discovered it' I am so confused and don't know what to do. If anyone could help it would be appreciated!

Thanks,

EyebrowsMaster

I checked one of mine and I get the same thing if the Trackable is marked "Collectible".  The "Collectible" feature is pretty much designed as the first step of a plan to declutter the owner's Inventory when the Trackable Item is not to be traveling (not to be logged in and out of caches).  All it does is place the item in a different list away from one's main Inventory, and as you see it removes menu items. However, as "Collectible" it's in limbo and waiting for the process to be finished... it's ready to be logged into into a "Collection".  Not only has this not happened, it's also traveling cache-to-cache, I guess.  It can't be for both traveling and not traveling.

Unless you see specific instructions on what the Trackable's owner intends, your options are limited.  You may contact the owner and ask what the deal is.  If the guy has no idea, be sure to explain that "NOBODY EVER NEEDS TO MAKE THEIR ITEM COLLECTIBLE, EVER".  OK, definitely not in this case, and in practically any other case.  It opens a whole can of worms.  Don't do it.  Don't randomly click buttons and wonder.  Don't require explanations and definitions and endless if/then.  All you need to know is: Don't bother with "Collectible".  Don't let anyone else get you to play around with it.  You get exactly what happened here, and worse.  Yes, I know "Collectible?" is the very first question a TB owner must answer with his very first TB, and with "Collectible" needing to be very rarely used, it's a preposterous thing to make people do unless a company that sells the things is intending to get them lost. :ph34r:

If you can't communicate with the Owner, you may log a Note and pretty soon place it into a cache.  Make a note that says which cache it's in, since it can't otherwise be logged.  Mention that it seems to have been mistakenly marked "Collectible", and that it needs to be marked "Not Collectible", and that we don't even want to go into it.  "Not Collectible".  Done. :)

Edited by kunarion
While typing my post, I was bitten by a duck.

Is the TB still in the cache?  If you took it, the log to make is "Retrieved" (typically) in preparation for the later "Dropped" log.  The one in question is a little messed-up, but the logs can be set up so it may travel.

I see where you found a cache and mentioned taking a TB.  Good job! :P  Even without the ability to make a "Drop" or "Retrieve" log, it's a great idea to provide at least some information.  I can't tell if the TB you have was ever properly logged in or out of a cache.

What is the Reference Number?  NOT the secret tracking number, the public reference number starts with "TB", and is shown in the upper right corner of the trackable's page.  Like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion

If you "need" a Discover, that means you didn't take it with you and it's still in a cache.

You could go through hoops n loops to try to straighten out an issue for a trackable not yours, but if me, I'd forgetaboutit.    ;)

If (as kunarion said) you took it from a cache, you Retrieved it.  

You could make your life more stressful by worrying about someone else's property, but I'd simply place it into the next cache I found, and forgetaboutit (maybe mentioning that you left a trackable you can't get logged,  in with your Found It). 

This won't be your only trackable with issues.  This one's just a bit tougher to decipher (being your first maybe...).  :)

A helpful guide to trackables can be found in the Help Center, and if you're going to get involved in this side-hobby, a good read.

Edited by cerberus1
48 minutes ago, EyebrowsMaster said:

Thanks for the help. I think I will just place the TB into the next cache I find.

Thanks, 

EyebrowsMaster

It seems like that one is all messed up.  That's all on the TB Owner.  It's his prerogative.  The Owner gets to make it as weird as he likes.  It may not be all that playable nor remain in play that way.  But there's no one stopping him.  Probably nobody could talk him out of it, either. :)

Edited by kunarion

Rather than start yet another topic... I'll hijack this one.

long story, but i'll try to make it short and make sense.

I bought a bug 10ish years ago.

JUST launched it this weekend.

It doesn't show in my inventory, but it does show as owned.

I cant figure out HOW to release it or grab it.

I have it set as non collectible....

what am I missing?

Bugs #TB39AC

It has been marked "Missing".  It's in the "Unknown Location".  See if this works:

On the TB's page, to the right there's a menu.  Make a "Grab" log.  "Grab it from somewhere else".  Now it should show in your Inventory.

Have you physically placed it into a cache?  If so, edit the cache log you made or make a Note log.  At the bottom of the log, your TB should now be listed (you may need to expand the TB list).  Do a "Dropped" log.

If you haven't placed it, you'll make the Dropped log when you place it into a cache.  Or you may keep it and allow cachers to Discover it or whatever you like.

Edited by kunarion
3 minutes ago, kunarion said:

It has been marked "Missing".  It's in "An Unknown Location".  See if this works:

On the TB's page, to the right there's a menu.  Make a "Grab" log.  "Grab it from somewhere else".  Now it should show in your Inventory.

Have you physically placed it into a cache?  If so, edit the cache log you made or make a Note log.  At the bottom of the log, your TB should now be listed (you may need to expand the TB list).  Do a "Dropped" log.

If you haven't placed it, you'll make the Dropped log when you place it into a cache.

See, that's the issue..

Its never shown on my inventory and was never placed.

I'm guessing its been idle so long, I need to contact GS support to reactivate it maybe?

I don't get and grab or drop options on the bugs page...

Screenshot (9).png

3 minutes ago, The Face said:

See, that's the issue..

Its never shown on my inventory and was never placed.

I'm guessing its been idle so long, I need to contact GS support to reactivate it maybe?

I don't get and grab or drop options on the bugs page...

Screenshot (9).png

Look further up that same screen in "Trackable Options".  Click "Add a log entry".  Make a Grab log.

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, kunarion said:

Look further up that same screen in "Trackable Options".  Click "Add a log entry".  Make a Grab log.

Yes Sir, that got it sorted.

That poor bug has been back and forth across the globe and U.S. but I never could drop it. Its about time.

Thanks again.